Building The Vera Cruise

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

mrintense

Re: Building The Vera Cruise

Post by mrintense » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:38 am

Congratulations Tim. Too cold up there for me though!

Got 85% of the deck glassed now. Waiting for the existing epoxy to cure so I can smooth out the overlaps and lay in the remaining glass. Probably tomorrow, although possibly later today.

In other work, I've been researching how I am going to go about cleaning up and improving the window cutouts and window frames ( I guess technically they are sashes). I've decided to utilize templates and routing to accomplish this. The exact order and approach is till to be worked out. Once the epoxy on my boat is no longer tacky today, I am going to start trying to cutout the first templates for the windows.

It's a tricky process as I need to first clean up the openings on the cabin sides, then make matching templates for the sashes. Then the sashes themselves have to have a matching interior cut approximately 3/4" in from the outer edge. I have to repeat this process for four windows, twice per window because the sashes are made from two pieces sandwiching the window poly between them.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:58 am

Deck is all glassed now. One or two more fill coats , then an overall sanding to smooth things out a bit more, then treating with fairing compound.

In the meantime, I've started working on the new window templates. Just as a reminder, the plan is to use these templates to improve the openings in the cabin sides and then to create inner templates I can use for the window sashes (frames).

First step was using poster board to transfer the existing openings from the cabin sides. I made sure to index this to the cabin sides. Then using various straight edges and curved objects, clean up all the curve lines on the poster board.

Once I was satisfied with that, I cut out the opening, being very slow and careful to exactly follow the drawn lines. I then took the poster board template and taped it down to a piece of MDF which had been previously cutout to size. The poster board was lined up on the MDF on the index marks so that I can eventually line the MDF back up to the cabin sides. The cutouts were transferred to the MDf and then rough cut out.

That's where I I am at in this picture. Next step today is to very carefully shape the openings to the drawn lines on the template using sanders. Once that's done, then I will line up the template on the cabin sides and use a flush trim router to clean up the window opening lines on the cabin sides.

IMG_20191026_111302.jpg
After that I'll start on the templates for the window frames. However, that is going to be a process so I'll cover that later.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:21 pm

The last picture I posted was the template lying on a folding table that I've been using when I ned to work on large items that might not fit in the garage. I also use it when doing a lot of sanding and cutting. Well that table is about 28" high and after bending over it a good part of last Saturday, my back was trashed and I have not been able to do anything on the boat all week.

Needless to say, this is not an acceptable situation so while I was out of action, I spent some time planning on a re-do of my garage / shop space. I have a taller workbench, but because of the way things are currently organized, it's almost always cluttered and unusable. That's going to change.

The plan is to move some of the larger less used items to other parts of the garage, and to move some larger power tools to roll around carts so that they can be easily moved out of the way. The ultimate goal here is to leave the taller work bench free for me to do most of my sanding and cutting standing up instead of bent over.

I am starting to recover from the back episode so I am hoping to get back on the boat tomorrow. I've already temporarily cleared off the bench and moved some junk out of the way. I want to use the new window templates to clean up the window openings in the cabin sides. This requires me to lay the cabin sides on the workbench so I have to make sure there is room for their length (17 feet) inside the garage.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:05 pm

:D Maybe some short pieces of pipe would fit on those folding table legs and raise that table taller :roll:
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:10 pm

That is a good idea. I have a similar table that I use in my garage. It's Lisa's table for extra seating when we have a large dinner party. It's a good thing Lisa always uses a table cloth.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:01 pm

chugalug wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:05 pm
:D Maybe some short pieces of pipe would fit on those folding table legs and raise that table taller :roll:
Pipes would raise it higher, but it would move around a lot as the legs are already somewhat spindly. However, I do think this would be a good way to extend the height of my bench when I need to support something really long. I'll look into options for this.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:43 pm

Well I'm happy as a clam now. The template and router approach to the window cut outs worked beautifully. Next up will be to make the window frame (sash) templates and get started on those. I am also going to get started on the garage re-do. I did the window opening cleanup today on my higher bench and my back is thanking me for that.

But I realized just how nice it would be to have some things set up on rollers when I had to move the band saw (not on rollers) out of the way. I also want to find a way to build in some sort of dust collection.
Using the outer template to clean up the cabin windows
Using the outer template to clean up the cabin windows
Starting to trace out the inner templates for the frames
Starting to trace out the inner templates for the frames
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:35 pm

That looks nice Carl. I have always been a router fan.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:24 pm

Looking good Carl! You are making great progress

I use the template router approach a lot but I cheat and use a laser to cut out the templates :)
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:39 pm

Looks good,Carl.How are the windows opening? or are you going to stuff power window hardware underneath?
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:52 pm

Thanks Bryan, Jim, and Tim

These windows will be the same as the design I showed previously, opening along the upper edge (forward windows only), however, I want them to look the same on the outside, so they will both have frames around the polycarbonate. The only difference now is I am taking more care in cutting out the shapes. I am also slightly increasing the width of the frame to 1". The aft window frames will be made from one less part each.

I spent a good part of the weekend re-arranging the garage, but did get the aft window frame parts cut and fitted. Still have to do the forward frames. Then all the parts will need planing down to a final thickness. Once that's done, I'll glue them together and use the inner templates I finished on Friday to cut the final shapes.

IMG_20191103_170116.jpg
As for the garage, there's still a lot to do yet. Mostly I was cleaning it up and doing some re-arranging. I'm adding lockable casters to some of the power tools and will be making carts for others. The new layout is already better, but as I said, not done just yet.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:24 pm

At the Gathering, Butch Barto talked me out of using polycarbonate or acrylic. He talked me into using tempered glass instead. You'll have a lot more glass than me though so cost may be an issue for you. And if you ever decide to upgrade to glass you'll have good templates to give to the glass folks.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:12 pm

I am not completely set on using Polycarbonate or tempered glass. Both have pros and cons and I am certainly open to hearing more discussion on this. For now, I will only be assembling and making the window frames. Actual assembly of the windows and frames will be later on in the project. So I have time to decide one way or the other.

My biggest concern with tempered glass is weight while my biggest concern with poly is flexing.

Today, I made good progress on the frames, getting the remainder rough cut out and fitted and then all of them planed down to their final thicknesses. I even managed to get two of them glued together before the day ran out.So I am nearly back where I was when I had to start over. I feel pretty good about these this time and I think they will be much better than the first attempt.

These are the first two of eight that are glued together. For reference, there are two frames per window opening.
These are the first two of eight that are glued together. For reference, there are two frames per window opening.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:50 pm

Carl

I like the tempered glass. Of coarse, I was influenced by Butch. I don't think you'll notice the weight on your boat. Poly will cloud up if someone uses the wrong cleaner. I think Butch would tell you 3/16" on framed windows like yours and 1/4" if you have a free edge. If you need a hole in it, it must be made before they temper it.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:07 pm

Bill Edmundson wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:50 pm
Carl

I like the tempered glass. Of coarse, I was influenced by Butch. I don't think you'll notice the weight on your boat. Poly will cloud up if someone uses the wrong cleaner. I think Butch would tell you 3/16" on framed windows like yours and 1/4" if you have a free edge. If you need a hole in it, it must be made before they temper it.

Bill
Thanks for responding Bill!

I had figured 1/4" glass (or poly) fit between two frames with a total thickness (including the frames) of 3/4". The weight I was concerned about was the weight of the window and frames when opened. I was concerned that it might be a bit much for the window support. The flex concern is the overall frame with the poly. I was concerned here that the assembly might be somewhat floppy. I'll know more once I get the frames finished and can clamp them together to see how they feel.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Return to “Power Boats”