Building The Vera Cruise

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

mrintense

Re: Building The Vera Cruise

Post by mrintense » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:08 pm

I think the ISP hosting this forum probably needs to get some up to date servers. The slow speed caused two postings to appear!!
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:31 pm

Carl

I was thinking sliding windows.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:49 pm

:D I used a combo of 1/4 plex and tempered glass on "Chug".Tempered on the 3 front windows and plex on the side windows and portholes and removable back door window.Tempered were cut at angles so cost 100 bucks a pop.
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

CarlM

Post by CarlM » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:06 pm

Carl ,
I have been enjoying watching your build. There are many things that can be learned from your experiences. The direction you have taken with the windows seems to be perfect. Very meticulous work, better you than me, the detail work isn't in my DNA.
As far as dust collection goes, I have had pretty good luck with the Harbor Freight model. It dosen't have the most CFM's but I think it does well with one machine at a time. I did modify mine with that addition of Dust Deputy cyclone. At $200 it is worth it in my opinion.
I am over 6 feet tall and I try to make all my machines and work surfaces to be 36 inches off the ground. I have found it to be the perfect work height for me. Your back is going to thank you for making work surfaces suit your needs.
Keep up the great work!!!! You are creating a beautiful boat!!!! Carl

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:30 am

Tim, I considered a mix of window material as well. The front windows will almost certainly be tempered glass. Same for the windscreen on the top of the boat. Side windows, decision still undecided but starting to lean towards tempered glass for these as well.

Carl, thanks for the nice comments. I'm building my boat like I've always built other things, just break it into smaller projects and focus on those without getting bogged down on the bigger picture. With a boat this size, it's hard to take in all the work that is still needed. So to keep from getting discouraged, I just try to stay focused on the smaller bits.

I've gotten three sets of the four sets of windows glued up now. I'll be doing the fourth this evening. Hopefully by this weekend, I'll have the templates finished and the windows routed to final shape. Since I've had to start over on these, it's been a bit of a drag and I am anxious to get back on track with the rest of the build. Once the window frames are completed, I'll be starting on getting the cabin sides installed and then making the cabin roof (woo hoo!!).
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:13 pm

Some more progress today. The window frame templates are now cut out and sanded to shape, all the window frames are glued together and ready for the next step (clean up and rough cut to shape). I also found a nice router bit with changeable bearings that I am going to use to cut the step in the frames for the glass mounting.

The templates are lying on top of the rough window frames. The frames will first be trimmed closer to the final shape to remove excess wood, and then a router will complete the inside and outside cuts.
The templates are lying on top of the rough window frames. The frames will first be trimmed closer to the final shape to remove excess wood, and then a router will complete the inside and outside cuts.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:54 am

Really Nice, Carl!! You need to show up at some ACBS shows when completed and start filling your Trophy Room.

Roberta :D :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:29 am

Looking fantastic...great progress! Thanks for posting these updates, I enjoy reading them.

I know you are interested in a dust collection system - I purchased a harbor freight dust collector, put a filter on the top (Wynn environmental 35BA222NANO, see https://wynnenv.com/woodworking-filters ... ollectors/), and a pre filter collector, which was a Woodstock W1049 Large Dust Collection Separator on top of a metal trash can. Works very well. V little dust actually makes it in to the unit, more than 95% ends up in the metal trash can. I am happy with this solution - although all in it ended up costing a fair amount of $. I should say I just hook it up when needed - would love to have a shop where I could have permanent runs to each machine - but like most of us I have to drag out each tool to use it, then put it back away.

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:22 am

Hi Carl,
Re your shop.
I have the same space problem. All of my equipment is on rollers. As far a dust collection, I bought the HFT roll-around dust collector, mounted it on the wall, replaced the bag with a 5 micron bag, and got a hose with a slide on connector (from rockler) for my equipment. It will stretch the length of my garage and then some. My planer, table saw, and band saw all have the connector that the one on the hose slides onto. (easy on and off). In addition I got one of those remote control on/off units so I can turn the collector on or off where ever I am.
It all works great and is out of the way.
Jim
Attachments
20191105_180528.jpg
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:19 am

:D maybe this is the mag to get[attachment=0]IMG_1229[1].JPG[/attachment How are you holding the glass in the frame?
Attachments
IMG_1229[1].JPG
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:57 pm

Wow, thanks for all the nice responses Roberta, Sarnian, Jim, and Tim.

I don't know about trophies Roberta. I think the competition from better wood workers than me would make that difficult. But I appreciate the compliment.

Sarnian and Jim,

I eventually want to go with a more dedicated dust system and I will be looking more closely at the Harbor Freight system, Thanks for the links also. For now, because of limited space, I'll probably hook up a dust devil to a 5 gallon bucket and my shop vac. I'm still in the process of overhauling my garage space to make it more useful. Adding casters to things and tomorrow, starting on a flip cart for the planer and oscillating sander. The available space has already improved and once I get the remainder of the plan accomplished it should improve even more. I'm trying to split my time between that and working on the boat.

Tim,
The plan for the window frame and glass is to create a step on one piece and then attach a duplicate piece (with no step ) to it, sandwiching the glass between the two frames. The frames will have screws around the perimeter of the frame (not going through the glass). The overall thickness of the frame pieces (with the glass included) is 3/4" which is the same as the thickness of the cabin sides.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

acflynn

Post by acflynn » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:36 pm

Great looking so far! I wasn't crystal clear on how you were building these window frames, but now I get it and looks like you're making tremendous progress on the windows, which I knew you were agonizing over last month.

Quick question on your shop - in the last two photos, I noticed you have the Ridgid "Oscillating Edge Belt/Spindle Sander" - do you get a lot of use out of it? How critical is that vs. using belt and/or orbital sanders? I saw one today at Home Depot, but wasn't sure about the $250 (currently) for it.

Thanks,

- Andrew
Attempting a Mist Miss build in the Arizona Desert

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:45 pm

I also have that sander. It is invaluable. Get one.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:21 pm

acflynn wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:36 pm
Quick question on your shop - in the last two photos, I noticed you have the Ridgid "Oscillating Edge Belt/Spindle Sander" - do you get a lot of use out of it? How critical is that vs. using belt and/or orbital sanders? I saw one today at Home Depot, but wasn't sure about the $250 (currently) for it.
The oscillating sander was one of the first things I bought after carefully considering which tools I needed to have to get started. At the time, I had a table saw, a skill saw, and an old battery powered drill. The two items I figured I needed at minimum were a jig saw and the sander. The jig saw allowed me to cut shapes I couldn't cut with the table or skill saw. And the sander allowed me to do final shaping of those parts (i.e. sanding to drawn lines).

The jig saw is not accurate enough to cut on lines so the sander compensated for that by giving me the means to do the final shaping . I've used it countless times since then. So depending upon your current tool set, you'll want to evaluate what you need. I've mostly used the belt part attachment on the sander. Occasionally I've had use for the drums, but the belt was more useful to me personally.

In other news, the window frames have had the excess wood cut away. I will be able to run them on the router table soon, but they are temporarily on hold while I make a flip cart for my planer and sander. I am trying to balance getting boat work done while improving my garage space. For too long, I've been abusing my body by trying to compensate for poor layout and inconvenient tools by using brute muscle. But with two serious back episodes in the last month, the time has come to face reality, so getting the shop in order has become a new priority for me.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:01 am

Okay,

I am so over winter already. Oh wait, it's still fall!. Well I am still over winter. Come on warm weather!!
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Return to “Power Boats”