Building The Vera Cruise

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

TomB

Re: Building The Vera Cruise

Post by TomB » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:55 am

I hear ya Carl! I just came in from getting a foot of snow off the driveway and was dreaming of heading to Texas. :shock: Guess I need to go farther. Ah well, spring is just around the corner. :wink:

Tom

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:57 am

So I am trying to figure out a solution to a problem with making my cabin window assemblies. You all have seem the images of my router templates for the window frames. These are approximately 1 inch wide. I've also still got the templates for the window openings which I used to true up the shape of the openings in the cabin sides. The end result of the parts are a frame that fits inside the window opening with a 1/16" gap all the way around the frame. This is what I was after.

The next step is to create a landing that attaches to the inside of the cabin walls. This needs to be slightly larger (on the outside edge of the part) than the window openings (so it has material to attach to the cabin walls). The inside edge needs to be smaller than the window opening (to provide a landing surface for the window frames).

Not sure if this is clear, but basically , I want a landing for the window frames that duplicates the shape of the windows but overlaps both the window openings in the cabin walls and overlaps the window frames. I can then glue this to the inside of the cabin walls , surrounding the window openings and provides a continuous landing for the window frames. This landing would be made from 3/16" thick material.

I want the landing to extend approximately 1/2" into the window opening (so that the landing is 1/2" wide). This will provide a place for a rubber seal which the window frame will rest against when the window is closed.

Okay, so I hope that explains clearly what I am after. Now here's the problem. How can I make that part using my existing templates? It seems to me that if I had a router bit with a bearing that was 1/2" wider that the trim bit, then I could run the router bit around the window frame template outer edges to cut what is essentially a larger version of my window frame. The inner edge could be cut with with an offset bit and a bearing smaller than than the cutter.

However, I have not been able to find any cutters with the bearing larger than the cutting bit. Only the opposite where the bearing is smaller than the cutting bit. I Thought about using a router guide busing, but not sure this would work or if I can even get one with a large enough offset (1/2").

The other alternative is to make another larger template, but I want to try and avoid that if possible since it's more work.

Any ideas on accomplishing this would be appreciated.

IMG_20191114_045145.jpg
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:06 am

You might be overthinking this Carl..... Why not simply cut it out (just past the lines) with your bandsaw and then sand it down to the lines with your Rigid bench sander? That's what I would do.... I think !!

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:32 am

Carl: There are router guide bushings of various sizes that fit into your router. Amazon has a set "POWERTEC 71051 Router Template Guide Bushing Set w/ 10pc Brass Precision Machined Components and Molded Carrying Case: for about 20 bucks. This should do what you are after.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:35 am

Perhaps so Neel,

The landing edge isn't going to be as obvious as the gap around the frame was, if the edges aren't perfect. I could give that a try.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:38 am

Thanks Bryan,

I did look at several router guide bushing kits online, but wasn't sure about the sizes. One benefit to Neel's idea is that I would not have to buy any additional tools. If I am not happy, I can go with the router approach.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:00 am

Carl, if you decide to go with the router, Harbor Freight also has a kit for $16 with 5/16 in., 3/8 in., 7/16 in., 1/2 in., 5/8 in., 3/4 in. and 1 in. diameter bushings.
Bryan

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:38 am

Hi Carl,
Not sure if I understand what you are trying to do. It appears that you want to create a ledge for the glass to rest upon, kind of like a picture frame.
If so, you will want to use a Rabbet router bit set. I would forget about using a template, and just let the bearing ride on the finished frame.
Here's a link I would suggest getting the "shear cut bit" https://www.rockler.com/freud-rabbeting-bits
Hope this helps.
Jim
Last edited by Jimbob on Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:47 am

Jimbob, I think he is trying to create a stop for the entire window frame onto which he can put a gasket to seal the window shut. Kind of like a door stop on a door jam
Bryan

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:32 pm

DrBryanJ wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:47 am
Jimbob, I think he is trying to create a stop for the entire window frame onto which he can put a gasket to seal the window shut. Kind of like a door stop on a door jam
That's correct. The window frame will have a rabbet for the window glass and I have the router to do this. But the cabin side window openings are already cut out and in order to add a landing, I will need to attach something on the inside. That is why I need to make a separate landing piece. The window frame will rest on the landing when the window is closes, similar to a door jamb. I'll also be using this to facilitate a locking mechanism for the windows.

And Jim, what you suggested for the window glass ledge is exactly what I am going to do.

On a separate note, if I had known at the time I was making the windows in the cabin sides that I was going to need a landing for a frame, I would have added a rabbet in the cabin sides. But like most of my projects, sometimes I don't think of these things until after I've done something else. Hence the need to add a landing as a separate piece. :oops: :oops:
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

TomB

Post by TomB » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:56 pm

Carl,

Not sure I understand the question...so here a suggestion...

For the OD of the inner window frame that glues to your cabin wall -

The window frame material is on the bottom, template in the middle and router on top. Use a 1 1/4" guide ring like Bryan suggested with a 1/4" spiral straight bit with the router on top guiding against the template and cutting a bigger shape below.
IMG_0459.jpg
The gap between the outside of the guide ring and OD of the bit is the landing on the wall.

The ID of the inner window frame is a rinse and repeat using the inside of the template.

Did I understand the question?

Tom

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:55 pm

TomB wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:56 pm
Did I understand the question?
Pretty much Tom. Their are three parts to this equation. The cabin sides with the openings, the window frame assemblies (consider them one part for this discussion) , and the landings for the window frames. The landings will attach to the inside of the cabin walls forming a landing inside the window openings for the window frame to rest on. This landing will extend into the window opening approx 1/2" It will also need to overlap the cabin walls so that it can be attached to them.

So using the router bushing guide you and Bryan mentioned, I can cut the landing using the template I made for the frames. The offset between the cutting bit and the outside of the router template will provide the extra material on the inner and outer edges of the landing pieces.

Geez, trying to explain this is not easy. No reflection on you guys :lol: :lol: . I think Neel is right, I am overthinking this!!

At any rate, I think I have two options here that will do the trick. I'll try Neel's saw and sand approach first as it is easiest and requires no extra tool purchases. Thanks for chipping in everyone, this is why I like this forum so much. Now I think I'll have a beer!!
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:46 pm

Trying to figure out what you're talking about.Would this router bit set help?
IMG_1231[1].JPG
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

footer

Post by footer » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:04 am

Carl, I feel your pain. No matter how you go, it’s going to be a challenge.
You could use a plywood guide for your router. I bought this small router for these unusual jobs. Also pictured is a bit that may help too.
Making an outer guide for your router is time consuming, but less chance for mistakes.
Good luck.
Attachments
Small router and a possible bit.
Small router and a possible bit.

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:31 am

mrintense wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:55 pm
So using the router bushing guide you and Bryan mentioned, I can cut the landing using the template I made for the frames. The offset between the cutting bit and the outside of the router template will provide the extra material on the inner and outer edges of the landing pieces.
Carl - I have used the Harbor Freight offset bushings with success and is exactly what I would use in this situation. That works for the outer side.

I would use a rabbeting bit to do the inside

Also, for template work I suggest using a router table for as much of it as you can. I made one from scrap so if you don't have one you don't need to buy one they are fast and easy enough to make.
Attachments
Bushing
Bushing
Rabbet
Rabbet
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

Return to “Power Boats”