Moderator: BruceDow

DrBryanJ

Re: Building The Vera Cruise

Post by DrBryanJ » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:46 am

Beautiful work Carl.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:34 am

Thanks Peter, Matt, and Bryan. Just to give a bit of extra info, here is approximately how the windows will look with the window frames in place. The plan is to hinge them along the top. I am thinking about doing the front windows in the same manner.

IMG_20200105_130811.jpg
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

JimmY

Post by JimmY » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:26 am

Nice work, all those curves would drive me nuts!
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Tony Hain

Post by Tony Hain » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:21 pm

Like a bought one Carl. Fantastic workmanship.
Tony Hain
"Never under-estimate the bounds of human stupidity" (Robert Heinlein)
and on a more optimistic note "nor the capacity for human brilliance"

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:46 pm

Wow Carl,
That came out better than any window I have seen anywhere!
Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:28 am

How did you do that ?? Really nice workmanship Carl... One criticism: What's with mixing orange clamps with black ones ?? That's not like you !!

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:47 am

Thanks Jimmy, Tony, Jim, and Neel. I'm flattered by your comments. I've never considered myself very good at woodwork, but I am somewhat detail oriented.

Neel, here's a recap of how these were done.

1. Make an MDF template of both window openings.

2. Make an MDF Template of the Window Frames using the window opening template to get the outside edges. The inside edge is approximately 1.25 inches from the outside edge.

3. Trim the window openings on the cabin sides using the window opening template and a flush trim router bit. Using the templates makes sure that all parts are consistent.

4. Make up a bunch of mahogany strips approximately 2 inches wide and planed to the desired thicknesses. In my case this was for each window opening. 5/16" and 3/8" thicknesses are needed. Enough material is needed to cover the areas around the curves for each thickness.

5. Using the window opening template, arrange the strips in an appropriate manner to cover the areas you want to make the window frames from. These needed to be epoxied together to form the rough shape of the window openings. This is the very time consuming part as each window opening gets two frames and a window landing made. You also need to clamp cauls down over the parts to keep them flat while the epoxy cures.

6. The window frames are sized to fit inside the window openings. The window landings are sized to extend outside of the window opening and into the window opening at least 1/2". In all cases, I made sure that the rough shapes were bigger than needed.

7. Trace out the final shapes on each rough assembly and trim away most of the excess. Use a router and a flush trim bit and the templates to get to the final shapes. I used a flush trim bit with bearing for the frames and and the inside edge of the landing. The outside edge of the landing was simply sanded on my oscillating sander.

8. The milling on the cabin doublers was done by marking where the overlaps occurred and then creating a simple MDF template to match the areas to mill down. I had to use a router bushing to do these and I made the milled area slightly larger than needed to allow clearance. They were milled slightly deeper than the window frames to give room for epoxy.

Like I said, very time consuming. It took me two tries to do the original window frames as the first set were done without templates and didn't match up well enough to the window openings. I will likely be repeating this entire process for the forward facing windows as well. That should be easier as they are the same and there are only two windows.

The window frames are two pieces designed to sandwich the glass between them and secured with screws around the perimeter. I still have to mill out a place for the glass in the frame parts.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

sscobra

Post by sscobra » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:35 pm

Your build is coming along very nicely, Carl! I will have to come over sometime to see it in person. Skip
Built the Glen-L Monaco, 2016.

footer

Post by footer » Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:17 am

Looking great. It’s amazing how custom work is so time consuming. But, when your finished, it’s going to be something to be proud of. 😀👍

steveh41

Post by steveh41 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:17 am

Solid progress Carl... looks great!

Steve
The longest journey begins with a single step… then repeat as necessary!

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:36 pm

Carl, everything looks really REALLY top-notch and quality. Your attention to detail is inspiring.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:31 am

Thanks Skip, Steve, Footer, and Matt. Sorry for the late response. I've been under the weather for a few days. Hoping to get back at it today or tomorrow.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

CarlM

Post by CarlM » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:09 pm

I hope you get to feeling better Carl. Your cabin is coming along nicely. Those windows look spectacular!!!!! I am enjoying watching your progress......Carl

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:41 pm

Thanks Carl,

I am pretty much over the cold I had. Rest of the family isn't though so I'm having to take up some of the slack still.

I did get both forward window pieces milled out today. Next step will be to make the landings and frames like I did for the side windows. The three page punch list for the cabin structure just got one line shorter!

IMG_20200115_173343.jpg
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

psychobilly

Post by psychobilly » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:57 pm

Well done Carl. << PB claps hands >> Work of art.

Hope the fam gets over the cold soon so I can get back to seeing more pics in this thread!

Return to “Power Boats”