Building The Vera Cruise

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

psychobilly

Re: Building The Vera Cruise

Post by psychobilly »

Why not build a dash off the ceiling? You’re gunna have a windshield up there right? High seats on starboard and port. With high chairs this would give good storage options.

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

Shifter and throttle can be mounted on dash-binnacle mounting.If you want to fix up a boat-moms Chris-Craft is for sale(same size and shape as yours)For the price of the new trailer and camper canvas.
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

Looking good Carl! Its been awhile since ive been on the forum and you have made great progress.
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Thanks again for the comments Jim, Tim and Billy.

I've been somewhat pre-occupied the last several days, but I am working steadily on the mock up. I had to spend some time researching seating and throttles as well as determining the way I wanted to accomplish the helm.

The mockup in the pictures is the current iteration. It satisfies most of the requirements I have right now. I still want to tweak the design a bit further. Of course it's a bit rough and the final product will be more refined. But here are a few things to note.

1. The height in the picture is about 3 inches to high. This is because the box the helm is setting on is too tall, but it was all I had available.
2. The steering wheel representation obscures quite a bit, but the actual steering wheel is much better in this regard and visibility around the wheel is quite good.
3. I am still working on the mockup for the seat platform so that is not represented here yet other than by the height of the stool.
4. As room in this area is somewhat limited by the narrowness needed to leave the center aisle open , I am trying to see if mounting a GPS Chartplotter on top will workout. It would extend above the roof line, however, there will eventually be a windscreen up there as well, so it may not be too bad.
5. The throttle control will be a binnacle style and mount to the lower platform on the right side. I was shooting for comfort, clearance for the complete throw, and appearance for this location.
6. The area under the steering will be cut in and angled in in a manner similar to the area under the throttle platform in the picture. I'm thinking a glove box (lockable) and a fire extinguisher compartment (with door hinged on the right side for easier access).
7. Lastly , the mock up in the photos is about 2.5 inches wider than it will actually be . This needs to be narrower so that I can lift up the center floor panel for bilge access.

IMG_20200316_153216.jpg
IMG_20200316_152815.jpg
IMG_20200316_152856.jpg
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

TomB

Post by TomB »

Carl,

I like the roof and what you've got there. For what its worth, my outboard fishing/ski boat had a plastic under rear deck fuel tank, no bilge blower.

Tom

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Thanks Tom,

I am thinking of a bilge blower because my bilge will essentially be open and any fumes from the tank could accumulate there, so I want the added insurance of the blower.

As mentioned in the previous posting, the helm was setting too high but the new pictures in this post are updated after I made the platform and cut the helm to the correct height. The width of the helm is still too wide, but it will be the same width as the platform. Also, the seat post here is much shorter than the one I have on order . But the base is essentially similar. One thing else, the mock up doesn't show it but the platform left rear corner will be rounded something like 4 inches.

The platform serves a couple of purposes. It raises the seat up high enough to see over the cabin, it also serves as a place to stand for the same reason. And I may use it to store a folding table top and pedestal. I have drawings of this to accommodate the table and pedestal, but I am not sure there will be enough room in the aft cabin for it when set up.

IMG_20200317_145149.jpg
IMG_20200317_145102.jpg
Carl

Clipper Boating

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

Looks interesting,Carl.I imagine that you'll put hydrolic steering otherwise cable will interfere with the binnacle shifter and you'd have to drill holes in that purdy carling :D I put 2 blowers in "Chug-one blowing out,one blowing in bilge.don't get much draft from scoop under bulwark step when smoking down the lake at 5 mph.
Last edited by chugalug on Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

steveh41

Post by steveh41 »

Carl,

For what it's worth, found this pic recently and thought it might be of some use... you may have already run across this. Laying everything out ahead like you are doing is a really good idea. Great progress so far!

The console is on the port side but should transfer to starboard without much modification.
The console is on the port side but should transfer to starboard without much modification.
control console.jpg (40.06 KiB) Viewed 2123 times

Steve
The longest journey begins with a single step… then repeat as necessary!

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Something to consider: Like in the picture Steve just posted your binnacle shifter/throttle doesn't have to be mounted horizontally.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

Carl... I like the prototype design, but I was thinking maybe it would look good if you put a radius on the back two corners of the floor box (where the helm chair sits). Not sure if this would work, but could you somehow have the top of the instrument panel follow the crown in your cabin roof? I love what you have done with the roof installation.

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

Ditto on what the last guy said.square box doesn't fit in with rounded boat. :roll:

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Carl

My helm is much the same. I only have a small access door under the wheel to get to fuses. The top and lower front panel can be removed for other work. You might just knock the lower corner of to 45* instead of round. I built my seats and made storage into them.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Baron

Post by Baron »

Your work is great. Beautiful. Like the helm/console area but wonder if there aren't too many conflicting angles. You may find that creating a bulkhead top and side will help match things up. The dash could even curve at the same curve as the windshield. I like what you have even if it all stays the same.
Attachments
IMG_5554.JPG

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions everyone. Let me address some of these.

I'll start with the platform. I've already decided to extend it outboard to meet a wall panel that will be extending down from the carling to the floor. That wall panel covers the opening where you see the splice for the two hull skins. That area is open for use as storage (at least part of it), so the paneling will have openings to access the storage. I plan on storing a flood light and bull horn down here and will have a pair of DC outlets to power those.

And as I mentioned, the platform top will extend over to meet the wall. The outboard aft corner of the platform will be radiused, probably something like 3 or 4 inches. Above the side wall paneling (on the wing), I am experimenting with some sort of arm rest which I'll post pictures of when I have them. I am also going to try and design my own seat (which will eventually be upholstered). Either the arm rest or the seat will have a cup holder.

Other parts of the cabin were mocked up about a year ago (very roughly) and I will be making more detailed mock ups of those areas soon so that I can get a better overall feel for the aft cabin layout. I would like to have room for a removable table but there may not be enough room for that. Assuming there is, the area under the seat pedestal in the helm platform is envisioned as the storage area for the table top and table post.

On the helm cabinet side facing the seat, there is going to be a fire extinguisher cabinet that is hinged on the inside edge so that the door can be opened from the center aisle without interfering with the driver too much. Bill, thanks for mentioning the spare fuses because this is something I forgot to account for.

As for the top of the helm matching the contour of the roof line, this is something I would also like to do, but need to figure out a way to do it and still allow mounting of a chart plotter. I have some ideas which I will try mocking up.

The inboard edges of the helm cabinet will be rounded as well, there won't be any sharp corners. The mock up has these because it's easier to make, but the finished product will have the rounded corners and edges. The area under the steering wheel is still in work as well, but my current thinking is to angle the entire section below the steering back and down like the area under the throttle platform, again ultimately with rounded edges and corners.

The throttle platform was lowered like it is so that the throttle handle doesn't extend up above the cabin wings. It also breaks up the appearance of the cabinet. It is not horizontal, but angled about 20 degrees up from horizontal. The opening in front of the throttle (that allows you to see into the cabin will eventually be blocked off.

The seat post in the picture is not the one I am going to use, it's just there for illustration purposes.

I appreciate everyone's feedback on this. It makes it much easier to figure these things out and to account for items I may have missed. The thing about pictures of the mock ups is that they do not convey the additional details in my head so it sometimes give the impression that I haven't thought of them. Nonetheless, feel free to comment, because I am open minded.
Carl

Clipper Boating

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Okay, I have been experimenting with a seat design.

Considerations are

1. Seat needs to fit in the area I have available and be able to rotate
2, Seat needs to be strong enough to take my weight.
a. On this point, the side pieces need to be high enough to give the seat back some support.
3. Seat needs to allow for foam and upholstery.
4. Seat needs to look decent ( look good would be best)
5. Seat needs to be tall enough for me to have a reasonable view over the roof.
a. On this last point, the view over the roof is not great and my wife has concerns I will be too low.
6. The shape needs to be something I can reasonably upholster in the future.

Assumptions are that there will be a 4" piece of foam on the seat.

I am putting this up for comment and feedback so that I can get the design right. My knife was dull so this mockup is a bit rough. Notice also that the left wing is curved whereas the right wing is a straight triangle shape.

IMG_20200318_145807.jpg
IMG_20200318_145825.jpg
Carl

Clipper Boating

Return to “Power Boats”