Building The Vera Cruise

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

TomB

Re: Building The Vera Cruise

Post by TomB »

Carl,

I tried to get you another idea picture, couldn't make it work. Have you seen VanDam Blue Star. The boat is too big but maybe there's a nugget you can use on the helm cabinet. It looks like you are headed toward a barstool height seat and a footrest?

Tom

footer

Post by footer »

Good idea how you made your mock up.
Got some good ideas from the guys. In the end, it’s all about what style you were going after.
You have the right materials to play with and your a good craftsman. I played around with the closed cabin or a more airy cabin too. Happy building.
Thanks for sharing.

Baron

Post by Baron »

If you weren't doing something really nice and interesting you wouldn't have just turned to 208 pages!

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Geez, this slow internet is a real drag. Posted a response and it got lost in translation. :(

Anyway, thanks all for the feedback.

Tom, Thanks for the link to Van Dam. I looked at the Blue Star helm and it gave me some ideas on how to address the top of the helm cabinet (trying to get it to match the curvature of the roof line). You are correct in that the seat will be bar stool style. The post is 24 inches high and there will be a foot rest. I should be receiving both of those pieces today. I'll include pictures when I get them.

Baron, yes, I am starting to feel like the old man in the sea here on the forum!

So yesterday, I wasn't happy with the way the seat mock up was looking and decided to sleep on it before resuming this morning. I particularly didn't like the straight or curved outward wing designs.

As a bit of a warm up, I trimmed the seat to it's final size (except for the back edge of the seat base) and then rounded the front two corners. Then I increased the back support angle from 15 degrees to 20 degrees. This addressed a perceived problem with comfort when I was testing it yesterday.

Next I starting sketching different curves on the side wings until I came up with something I liked. Using that I cut out two new side wings and attached them to the seat. These new sides have a reverse curve which is more pleasing (at least to my eye). I also cut the back support down a bit and put a curve across the top edge which blends into the sides.

Overall, I am much happier with this design. I am going to do some research to make sure this design will lend itself to upholstery work, but I think it will.

IMG_20200319_122738.jpg
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

TomB

Post by TomB »

Carl,

I looked seriously at these before venturing into the darkness of building my own seats.

www.greatlakesskipper.com/malibu-boat-b ... white-poly

www.greatlakesskipper.com/custom-off-wh ... seat-shell

www.greatlakesskipper.com/malibu-boat-b ... white-poly

I liked them because they're structurally sound and can be foamed and upholstered to suit but I'm a DIY-kind-a-guy.

Tom

Baron

Post by Baron »

Tom wouldn't it be fun to find a comfy seat and copy it in wood with a cnc router. I'm tubby and like your middle version for a skiff......easy in-out.

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Thanks for the links, Tom. I looked these over, but I think I want to go with the DIY approach as well.

After getting the seat figured out earlier today, I wanted to start working out how I was going to actually build the helm, platform, and seat. However, the more I looked at it and thought about it, the more I realized that there was quite a bit of other parts of the boat that affect these decisions. Some not so obvious until you start really diving into it.

For example, the helm cabinet has to fit in a particular spot in order to fit. Just forward of that is the aft end of the forward cabin where I plan to do some additional construction, namely making some mini walls to block in the sides. These in turn are connected to a trim piece to dress up the aft end of the roof line. Some of this would be difficult to build if I built the helm station wrong. Some of it needs to be done a certain way in order to satisfy some of my aesthetic goals. The aft roof line trim for example serves the additional purpose of delineating the radiused top edges of the forward cabin sides from the trim strip planned for the tops of the aft cabin wings. Then in addition to that, I have to figure out how all this will tie in with the windshield I have planned for the roof!!

The reason this all has anything to do with the helm is how the helm will tie into the cabin side interior paneling which in turn ties into the mini walls I mentioned earlier.

Anyway, I know it sounds like overthinking, and perhaps some of it is, but I would rather spend the extra time in the thinking chair than have to redo something because I didn't think it through enough.So for the next couple of days, I am going to continue the mock up game, planning ahead, and determining how all of this will work together. On the plus side that means no epoxy work and no sanding at least for a few days!! :D :D

But the brain is going to get a workout!
Carl

Clipper Boating

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

I made an admirals chair out of an old leather sectional I found down at the "Angle Mall"(dump)needs trim but is really comfy.Off-white.It's in the pilothouse so I hope its protected enough.I'd send a pic but after my nephew put in new hard drive i can't figure out how to post pics.used to be really easy.You could even build comfy wooden chair and add cushion if needed.I've seen a few in woodenboat magazines. :D
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Today was busy with home activities but I did find a bit of time to work on some of the other mocking I was writing about yesterday.

The first photo shows why I wanted to mock up the windshield frame. I am working on how I want to transition from a radiused edge on the cabin roof to a straightedge on the aft roof line and wind. There will be a trim piece installed on the top edge of the wing which will butt up against the windshield frame and I wanted to have something to make that transition. The frame performs that purpose.

There is more to this story (in that the trim piece on the wing affects other areas that affect the construction of the helm cabinet). I'll talk about those when I get to them.

For now, this picture shows what I will likely do for the roof line.
IMG_20200320_164557.jpg

And what was fun about all of this today is that I got to see what the boat is going to look like with a windshield. That is what is shown in these other two pictures. The plan is to frame the windshield glass (tempered) on the sides, and mount the bottom edge in a rubber seal on the roof top. The top edge will be unframed with a slight arch between frame pieces.

IMG_20200320_161219.jpg
MVIMG_20200320_161246.jpg
Carl

Clipper Boating

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr »

Looking good Carl. I really like the framing around the windows. Hopefully your garage door opening doesn't get in your way.

Lee

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

The windshield frames won't be a problem for the garage door because they won't be installed until after the boat is moved from the garage. I mainly put them there for now because I wanted to get some idea how they integrated into other trim work.

The helm, aft roof line trim, interior wall paneling, and windshield frames are all interconnected in some fashion so I had to spend the time mocking all of this up today in order to work out some of the details.

For the most part ,I've worked out how I am going to design this. Next I will be working out how it's going to be built. But I've met my goal for the week which was to get all of this figured out from a design perspective.

One feature of my open cabin design was going to be a hidden curtain to close off the cabin for privacy. I wanted to have the curtain suspended from a hidden rod across the back of the cabin. This first photo shows approximately how that is going to be accomplished. This is part of the aft roof line trim piece as seen from the underside. The rod will fit up in that area and run the width of the cabin.
IMG_20200321_133128.jpg

Another area of concern to me was how I was going to integrate the windshield frame, the aft roof line trim, the aft wing trim, and the radiused top edges of the cabin sides. This next photo shows some ideas I am working with. The windshield frame has been extended aft to the edge of the roof line. A lip on the aft edge of the roof line extends over to the cabin side and tapers downward. There will be a slight gap between the two for drainage purposes from the roof.

AlternativeTransition.jpg

And here is an overall shot of the mock up as currently envisioned. I've determined that the forward wall of the helm cabinet will actually be the aft wall on the starboard side. The wall hanging down on the port side will of course extend outboard to match the inner cabin paneling.

IMG_20200321_132630.jpg
Carl

Clipper Boating

TomB

Post by TomB »

Carl,

I like the new pedestal. Will there be a matching co-pilot seat?

Have you considered moving the windshield brackets inboard a little so the molding shape/roof edge would pass by the windshield uninterrupted?

Tom

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

TomB wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:26 pm
Carl,

I like the new pedestal. Will there be a matching co-pilot seat?

Have you considered moving the windshield brackets inboard a little so the molding shape/roof edge would pass by the windshield uninterrupted?

Tom

Thanks Tom,

The copilot seat is still up in the air for the moment because I have not done any design work on the fuel compartment which will be on that side. My preliminary mockup from a few years ago seemed to indicate I could use a similar chair, but a much shorter pedestal, however I have had some new thoughts about this that I am going to be considering over the next several days, so we'll see.

The main thing is that I am not going to start construction of any of this until I feel confident about the design plan going forward.

As for the idea bout the trim, I had not considered extending the trim all the way forward as I was originally planning on radiusing the edges on the sides and front. However, the original plans call for trim extending along the side roof line all the way around the the front (over the front windows) so I will look into that again to see if I want to change direction.
Carl

Clipper Boating

steveh41

Post by steveh41 »

Carl,

The seat pedestal with footrest looks good...

Steve
The longest journey begins with a single step… then repeat as necessary!

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Okay,

First off, an update on progress.

I've decided against a copilot seat on the other side of the boat (across from the helm) because I am placing the fuel tank in this area and covering it with a cabinet to hide it. The cabinet is going to double as a place to place drinks or food when we are out an about (whenever that might be). I experimented with various seat placements but felt that nothing really looked right or worked. The cabinet seems like a better idea to me anyway and takes up less room than a seat would.

Here's a picture.

IMG_20200322_135759.jpg

However, what I really want to talk about today is the electrical panel. I spent some time the other day laying out tasks and getting the electrical panel figured out is the highest on the list at the moment since it's placement affects many other things I need in place before installing the helm.

I've got most of the basic components (DC and AC Distribution panels, bus bars, fuse block , terminal blocks, and some switches). I've worked out the size and shape of the panel I will have to work with.

What I need to do is lay out the equipment in a logical manner. The plan is to have the panel hinged for easy access. I'm thinking that the hinged panel will have the distribution panels. The bus bars and fuse block will go on a panel behind it.

What I have not been able to find out so far is if there is anything besides the distribution panels that should be placed on this electrical panel. For example, should I put the stereo here?

This panel will be inside the cabin. A separate set of switches will be on the helm to control the items that I need to control from there (lighting, bilge pumps, etc).

What about an inverter. Although I don't have one, it's something I will eventually be adding. I assume that all that really needs to be exposed on the outside is an electrical outlet and perhaps the switches for the inverter?

I also thought it would be a good idea to have a combination USB/DC port on this electrical panel. And there will be a speed control/switch for the head box ventilation fan (although I may place that inside the head box).

Would this be the best place for light switches for the various cabin lighting?

I would really appreciate some input here on this. Trying to find example of this has been a challenge. Plenty of examples of installing the components and good practices to follow, but I know about that stuff already. What I am after is a layout that covers the necessary bases, has a reasonable chance of being upgraded in the future, and looks decent in the cabin.

Thanks for any input on this.
Carl

Clipper Boating

Return to “Power Boats”