Building The Vera Cruise

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

mrintense

Re: Building The Vera Cruise

Post by mrintense »

chugalug wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:00 am
:roll: Don't forget to drill holes for vent and deck fill.Its a pita later trying to get gas hose to fit in right.I had to mount my deck fill at a little angle as hull leans out at the carling-more than at the bottomtim 001.JPGnice thing is that no bends in gas line so could even use dip stick to check fuel :D caulking looks a mess-will be replaced with 402 after it warms up this spring.
I already have backing plates in place for these fittings. Haven't drill the holes yet, but it's on the punch list
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk »

FYI, the Sea Knight & Geronimo are the same hull--they share the same patterns.

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

That must be why frame 4 is two inches lower than the setup level. To allow for extra room in the cabin in the Sea Knight.

Carl, with the Vera Cruise at 7'10" you are darn close to the legal trailering width already.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

In Alabama, trailers are commonly 8'-6" wide. Bigger boats are towed all the time without special permits!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Some of the wake boats I see around here are wide enough that you could fit two of my boat on side by side, or at least it seems so.
Carl

Clipper Boating

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Ah is it 8'6"? I thought it was 8'2" or something.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

The Bartender is 8'-4". It fits inside the trailer goal post.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Sneak peek!

IMG_20200331_173008.jpg
IMG_20200331_173422.jpg
Carl

Clipper Boating

footer

Post by footer »

So, did you did you decide to close it in or are you just playing?

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

footer wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:19 am
So, did you did you decide to close it in or are you just playing?

No, the walls you see are the ones I elected to include in the final design. The opening in between will remain open. The wall on the starboard will eventually be the cabin side of the helm station which is nearly as big as the wall. The wall on the port side will be part of the cover over the fuel tank and is narrower because I wanted it that way and because it doesn't need to be any wider to cover the fuel tank.

Currently, I am working on the upper trim piece that connects these two together. What I am trying to accomplish is make it so that all of these walls, the fuel tank cover, and the helm station can be removed to give access to the floor underneath when and if it become necessary to do so. This only applies to the areas directly under the fuel cover and helm. The floor paneling aft of these as well as the entire center floor panel are being handled differently.

I should have some pictures soon.
Carl

Clipper Boating

gap998

Post by gap998 »

I've been away for some time - Wow; really coming along now Carl!
Gary

Planning a whole fleet, but starting with a Zip...I think.

"Just when you think you've made something idiot-proof, someone builds a better idiot!"

JimmY

Post by JimmY »

You're going to slip on those shinny floors! 8)
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

No worries about the floor. Eventually there will be some sort of covering for it. I'm looking at a rug like material that feels like carpet but is made from recycled plastic. Or I may go with something else. Far too soon to know for sure, but it won't be slick! :D :D

I've been working on the trim piece that goes between the two wall pieces. It's almost there, just some sanding and then the wall pieces need to be trimmed to fit. There will also be some additional fitting when I start making the helm cabinet and fuel box cover as I want the edges on the door openings to be hardwood rather than plywood. All in good time.
Carl

Clipper Boating

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Ah, winter has decided to throw a bit more our way today. Temps dropped 30 degrees in one day. Its okay, I know it will warm up again very quickly.

I got the aft wall pieces cut out and the upper trim piece made now. I'll be stepping back from that and moving on to other tasks that need to be accomplished first. But just to give some idea what the plan is here. These aft walls are mounted over smaller floor board panels that normally won't need to be removed. However, for complete bilge access, I wanted the option to remove those floor boards if needed. The center floor board gives good access for normal bilge access but if necessary, I can remove these side boards as well.

In order to make that work, the plan is to build the fuel tank cover box and helm cabinet as part of these aft walls and make the entire assemblies one removable piece (each). Since I also wanted to trim the upper part of these walls, that will be glued to the cabin aft roof line and cabin sides. It will have landings at the gaps in the photo to attach the upper part of the aft walls to. Both of these gaps will be hidden.

The small little tangs overhanging the cabin sides will be trimmed and shaped when I can see how there interface with the way the cabin will be trimmed on the sides. For now, they are long.

The other part of the plan is to paint the aft wall the same white as the roof (or something similar). The helm station will still be wood finished and will contrast nicely with the aft wall color. Not sure about the fuel tank cover yet.

Finally, and you can see this in the other photo, there is a hidden channel for the curtain to be hung in. This curtain will normally be open, but can be drawn across the cabin entrance for privacy when using the head box or sleeping. And yes, there are future plans to mitigate mosquitoes.

IMG_20200404_103530.jpg
IMG_20200404_103427.jpg
Carl

Clipper Boating

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr »

Carl,

Sounds like a good plan. It is good that you plan to allow for bilge access. I plan to make bilge access very easy on my Monaco. I don't want any water sitting in there for an extended period of time or even overnight so I plan to check (and dry with a towel if necessary) often.

Lee

Return to “Power Boats”