Building The Vera Cruise

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

mrintense

Re: Building The Vera Cruise

Post by mrintense »

Thanks again Roberta, Tom, Tim, and Matt

I agree with the to move the horn button to the companionway side. Good call. I will place the instruments based upon what I consider to be the most important from top to bottom. And although I do not have a lot of boating experience, it seems to me that having a gauge for trim will be useful for ensuring that the trim remains correct and as a indicator if it changes for whatever reason.

I elected to forgo the speedometer because my understanding is that they are not reliable and because I am more interested in the engine speed. I know that the speed range of the boat is going to top out around 35-40 mph which I can determine with my phone if I desire.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

I am sure you have thought of this Carl, but just in case, don't forget about a depth gauge

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Thanks Neel, I actually had forgotten about that. However, the plan is to have a chartplotter with depth gauge mounted above the dash. But I will double check this before drilling ang holes for the instruments.
Carl

Clipper Boating

psychobilly

Post by psychobilly »

mrintense wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:48 am
Thanks Neel, I actually had forgotten about that. However, the plan is to have a chartplotter with depth gauge mounted above the dash. But I will double check this before drilling ang holes for the instruments.
Note that there’s several options for transducers too. Through hull with no hole cutting required, through hull with a hole through the hull, and transom mounted. Pros and cons to all these. Most of your chartplotters will come with a transom mounted transducer. If you go this route, make sure ya get the Stern Saver transom mount. Saves you from screwing into your stern.

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

neel thompson wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:57 am
I am sure you have thought of this Carl, but just in case, don't forget about a depth gauge
Depth gauge? I do like Luke Skywalker and use the force.
Matt B

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

psychobilly wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:22 pm
Note that there’s several options for transducers too. Through hull with no hole cutting required, through hull with a hole through the hull, and transom mounted. Pros and cons to all these. Most of your chart plotters will come with a transom mounted transducer. If you go this route, make sure ya get the Stern Saver transom mount. Saves you from screwing into your stern.
I am at somewhat of a loss as to what to do about this particular part of the chartplotter. I've considered a through hull fitting and even have a possible spot picked out just aft of the V berth, however I have not researched this yet and I am not even sure if that's the right place to put one. I also know of the transom mounted ones but heard that they are not very accurate.

One of the questions I've wondered about is if they even work on a planing hull while underway. I suspect a transom mounted transducer will give some sort of reading, but one mounted in the hull (especially up forward) would seem to be in the wrong place. It's a question I'll have to answer at some point and I have mounting options given the way I've left access to the entire centerline of my bilge. But for now, the question remains unanswered.
Carl

Clipper Boating

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

I have a transom mount transducer on my Key West boat, and I had a bronze thru hull transducer on my Gentry... They both work great at slow speeds as well as on plane. I have been using a Garmin chart plotter, which I love. The thru hull was mounted about three feet from the transom, just outside of the trailer bunks.

kens

Post by kens »

there is really only 1 source for transducers, Airmar.
They make them for all the chartplotter/fishfinder companies. Garmin, Furuno, Raymarine, Sitex, etc.
It's the connecting cabling that really differentiates what manufacturer you dealing with.
The chartplotter makers bastardize their cabling to force you to buy cables from them.
Example, I have a Airmar B60 transducer, with a Furuno fishfinder.
The B60 is the same xducer itself, no matter if it comes with Furuno pigtail, Raymarine pigtail, Garmin pigtail, etc.
Different pigtail gets a different part number but the guts of the xducer is the same.
I have the thruhull B60 and yes it works up on plane, PROVIDED:
you are not running in a chop that gets air under the boat, you are not in murky silty water,
It works fine on plane if you are on smooth clear water.
In-hull xducers will shoot thru fiberglass/metal but not wood.
https://www.airmar.com/productinfo.html ... ransducers

note: a GPS antenna will shoot thru a plywood cabin top, but a depth finder xducer will not shoot through wood bottom.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

That spot just aft of the v berth will most likely be out of the water when on plane. If you do a thru hull just make sure you are far enough away from the trailer bunks (which ideally will be under your bottom battens). Transom mounts are fine too but it's harder to hide that wire and I know you are concerned about aesthetics.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

steveh41

Post by steveh41 »

Carl,

Here's an Airmar thru hull installation guide... the Mounting Location section outlines the position issues for different hull types.

https://www.airmar.com/uploads/InstallG ... 006-01.pdf

Steve
The longest journey begins with a single step… then repeat as necessary!

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Wow, thanks for the excellent responses regarding transducers. I feel a little more informed now. It seems that the brass thru hull might be the way to go. I'll have to look into it a bit further because the keel will prevent it from being mounted dead center. But I suspect that a bit off center as long as the deadrise is shallow, it will be okay.

I got the instrument panel cut out now (except for the ignition switch hole - which I don't have yet). I'm pretty happy with it .

PXL_20201120_193017337.jpg
Carl

Clipper Boating

kens

Post by kens »

some of the Airmar xducers are a tilted element such thay can be mounted in a vee portion of the hull, and still point straight down.
here is one example, there are others
https://www.airmar.com/productdescription.html?id=13
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr »

Carl,

Your instrument panel looks good. That is going to be cool :)

Lee

psychobilly

Post by psychobilly »

denbrlr wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:28 pm
Carl,

Your instrument panel looks good. That is going to be cool :)

Lee
Agreed! It’s looking great!

and thanks to all on the x-ducer details. I didn’t realize that they won’t shoot through wood. Learn stuff all the time here!!

Keep up the good work Carl!!

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Thanks Lee and Billy. It was somewhat scary cutting the holes. I did agonize over the layout for quite some time.

And thanks again everyone for the transducer information. I've filed this away for eventual usage when the time comes to make that purchase.

In news of the build, I was finally able to get with my outboard dealer to determine the placement of holes for cable, electrical, and fuel line routing. We came up with a plan to do this a bit later in the build when it comes time to install the outboard. This frees me up to start getting the motorwell ready to install. First up is getting the remaining encapsulation completed, areas that will be difficult to get to later. I'll also be pre-painting as many areas as I can to also make this task easier later. No pictures for now. When I have something interesting, I'll post it.
Carl

Clipper Boating

Return to “Power Boats”