Building The Vera Cruise

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Milhouse

Re: Building The Vera Cruise

Post by Milhouse »

The instrument cluster looks great Carl!
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Thanks Jim.

Slowly getting the motorwell installed now. The bulkhead and about 60% of the structure has been glued into position. The weather's turned colder so epoxy cure times are slowing me down. I do have some new pictures, but they are essentially identical to earlier sots of this area, except minus the clamps. Once I get a little more installed, I'll try to get a more detailed picture, however it's not easy to get all of this into one shot.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

psychobilly

Post by psychobilly »

Carl, Are you ok?? Been 4 weeks buddy. Hope all is well.

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

psychobilly wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:52 pm
Carl, Are you ok?? Been 4 weeks buddy. Hope all is well.
Thanks Billy,

Yes all s fine. Thanks for asking. I've been slowly making progress on the motorwell. Not a very photogenic part of the build and the progress has been somewhat slowed by work commitments before the holidays. The motorwell consists of three compartments, two side compartments which will house the batteries and extra storage and a center splashwell with additional storage below that.

The two side compartments are mostly installed with just the upper section to go. Access to the lower side compartments was added. I'll be installing the center compartment soon and then cutting an access to that.

Here is an overall shot. You can see the three motorwell compartments.
Here is an overall shot. You can see the three motorwell compartments.
Here is the battery tray as I am working on a means of holding it in place
Here is the battery tray as I am working on a means of holding it in place
Staring on installing the upper structure for the starboard side compartment.
Staring on installing the upper structure for the starboard side compartment.
Carl

Clipper Boating

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Here are a couple more

Shows two fo the three acess oopenoings in the motorwell bulkhead to give access to the battery compartment and extra storage. The third access will be cu in between these two openings.
Shows two fo the three acess oopenoings in the motorwell bulkhead to give access to the battery compartment and extra storage. The third access will be cu in between these two openings.

Access to the battery compartment seen from the motorwell side
Access to the battery compartment seen from the motorwell side
Carl

Clipper Boating

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

looking good,Carl. Nice to see you back at it :D
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr »

Carl,

I was wondering too. Looking good.

Lee
YouTube channel: Boat Builder Lee
Monaco build YouTube playlist: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP4Edb ... /playlists

steveh41

Post by steveh41 »

Solid progress Carl... looks great!

Steve
The longest journey begins with a single step… then repeat as necessary!

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Thanks Tim, Lee, and Steve. Sorry I am not on line more often. But I am fine and still working on the boat.
Carl

Clipper Boating

psychobilly

Post by psychobilly »

mrintense wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:32 am
Thanks Tim, Lee, and Steve. Sorry I am not on line more often. But I am fine and still working on the boat.
Yeah with the COVID21 going around, you never know. It just wasn’t like you not to be posting. Glad you’re ok and as Steve said, solid progress.

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Well, another year has gone by, and I was able to get in some decent progress this last two weeks while off for the holidays. My main goal was to try and get the motorwell mostly completed. It's not quite there yet, but most of the parts are now installed. It took awhile because I needed to build up a frame work to give additional strength since I was planning on three openings in the motorwell bulkhead. I'm happy to say that the framework worked out fine and the three openings have not diminished the strength of the assembly. I'm confident now that it will be able to take the strain of the outboard when the time comes.

Here's the latest in progress photos.
All three openings are now cut out. I'll be making access panels for these later.
All three openings are now cut out. I'll be making access panels for these later.
Splashwell access opening. I still need to install the actual splashwell shelf.
Splashwell access opening. I still need to install the actual splashwell shelf.
Carl

Clipper Boating

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Here's some shot of the upper compartments. I haven't finished cleaning these up yet and the hatches have not been made yet. But I like the look this is going to add to the boat. Trim work on all of this has still not been accomplished yet .

The closest compartment (port) will house the battery switch and AC charger and provide some additional storage. The farther compartment is going to have an ice chest built in sometime in the future.
The closest compartment (port) will house the battery switch and AC charger and provide some additional storage. The farther compartment is going to have an ice chest built in sometime in the future.

PXL_20210103_182522160.jpg
Carl

Clipper Boating

kens

Post by kens »

There is so much attention to detail in this build, I can't wait to see it.
Will it be at the Gathering?
Oak..........the juice ain't worth the squeeze :D :shock: :o :)

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

Very nice Carl. Glad you're OK.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Thanks Ken and Bryan. I am still not sure that the boat will even be ready for launch by September at this point. I am going to have to play it by ear for now as regards the Gathering.

Today, I am waiting for some epoxy to cure so I wanted to start experimenting with ideas for trimming out the cabin sides. I don't have a good idea of how I want to do this, only that I should probably incorporate a hand hold along the edge. I want the interior top edge to also appear more finished as well.

Here are the items I want to consider. If you look at the photo, you see the curved doubler coming down from the roofline near the helm station. It ends abruptly at the top edge of the cabin side. I was thinking perhaps a similar width board running aft to the motorwell bulkhead, perhaps eventually covered with foam and upholstery. But initially just the wood.

On the outside of the side closest to the camera, I taped up some foam to try and simulate a hand hold on the outside of the cabin side. It wouldn't be quite that thick (tall or deep) and I was thinking maybe tapered on the forward end. It would also be rounded along the edges rather than square cut. It could end where it does now, or perhaps further forward. Maybe even tie into some other piece of trim.

On the aft end, I was thinking about an angled piece of wood (maybe painted to contrast with the wooden sides). The taped off piece in the photo shows what I was thinking about.

I'm fishing for ideas and suggestions here.

One other thing I am considering is whether or not to have the aft compartment hatch covers flush or lying on top of the compartments. These compartments are tentatively planned to be painted white to match the hull sides. The outboard surfaces will remain unpainted wood.

PXL_20210104_211813582.jpg
Carl

Clipper Boating

Return to “Power Boats”