My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

hoodman

Re: Building The Vera Cruise

Postby hoodman » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:46 pm

Looking really great, Carl!

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Sat May 05, 2018 3:42 pm

Thanks everyone. It's nice to start seeing some progress.

Of course everyday I get something done is progress, but many days feel like very small steps. One of the things I need to do before finally installing all the cabin components I've made is to get the bilge area completely painted. But before doing that, there are still many, many steps to accomplish. I got several more of those done this week. The seat boxes are coming along and I should be able to stain them tomorrow. I want to get this done so they can dry for a week before encapsulation. I still need to make the tops for these and will probably start on that tomorrow as well.

Here are a few more in progress shots. Not much to look at, but like I said, lots of small steps.

IMG_20180503_193242.jpg
Attaching the facings to the seat boxes.

IMG_20180505_140845.jpg
Attaching the hardwood corner to the port seat box sides.

IMG_20180505_143120.jpg
This small triangular piece covers the opening at the bottom of the seat box area to keep things from sliding under the floor boards. A similar one will be glued to the port floor board.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Sun May 06, 2018 3:38 pm

More fitting, staining, encapsulating, and fitting. Trying to knock out a bunch of small steps that need to be accomplished.

One other thing I worked on was mocking up a potential idea for the cabinet. My goals for the cabinet are : decent appearance, big enough to house a small sink and a place for a small camp stove when I want to make coffee. Tall enough, to allow some storage on the bottom and have room for a drawer or two for smaller items, and leave some of the remaining floor space available.

The following picture is only a mock up, but the idea is that it will be flat with small side partitions. I'm thinking of using a small wedge shaped fiddle on the inboard edge to keep items from sliding off. The wedge will be the same profile as the curved side but only extend outboard a small amount.

Another thing I've decided to do is cant the cabin sides in just a small amount. The pictures of other Vera Cruises that I've seen look a bit boxy in this area, so I am hopeful that canting the sides will help with that.

IMG_20180506_114358.jpg
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sun May 06, 2018 5:46 pm

Carl

I got a small ss bar sink from HD with plumbing. You might look into those.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

sscobra

Postby sscobra » Sun May 06, 2018 9:53 pm

Working on the interior of my Monaco was a snap compared to your interior, Carl. So many possibilities and you are definitely rising to the challenge. Your interior is looking great and I look forward to your progress reports. Skip
Built the Glen-L Monaco, 2016.

billy c

Postby billy c » Mon May 07, 2018 4:46 am

Carl that really works well and seems to leave you quite a bit of space with ample storage and work area in the cabin. Are you building the cabinetry with the solid wood edges/trim?
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

Milhouse

Postby Milhouse » Mon May 07, 2018 12:34 pm

Looking good, looks like we should try and get Harbor Freight clamps to be a sponsor; I have just about as many for my build :D
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Mon May 07, 2018 3:10 pm

Thanks Bill, Skip, Billy, and Jim

Bill Edmundson wrote:I got a small ss bar sink from HD with plumbing. You might look into those. Bill

Thanks Bill, I'll check it out. It's funny I was thinking the same thing yesterday when getting some supplies, but didn't look. I will now.

sscobra wrote:Working on the interior of my Monaco was a snap compared to your interior, Carl. So many possibilities and you are definitely rising to the challenge. Your interior is looking great and I look forward to your progress reports. Skip

Thanks Skip. It is fun, but exasperating at the same time. What do you do when the journey and the destination have the same attraction? :D :D

billy c wrote:Carl that really works well and seems to leave you quite a bit of space with ample storage and work area in the cabin. Are you building the cabinetry with the solid wood edges/trim?

Yes Billy, the cabinetry construction will be similar to the head box, plywood with Cherry veneer and hardwood edges. What I am unsure about yet, is what will be in the cabinet. I'd like a drawer for small items, a sink to wash hands, and some lower storage. At one point I even toyed with adding two wine bottle openings! :D :D

Milhouse wrote:Looking good, looks like we should try and get Harbor Freight clamps to be a sponsor; I have just about as many for my build :D

Yes Jim. I have something like 45 of those clamps. Most have clumps of epoxy on them in various places But They still work just fine.

No updates today unfortunately. Have to catch up on yard work. Oh boo!!
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

neel thompson

Postby neel thompson » Tue May 08, 2018 3:29 am

Carl... Just a quick question... When you clamp something with multiple clamps, do you actually measure between each one to make sure they are exactly evenly spaced? If the answer is "yes", you may need to see someone !! Very nice work.

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Tue May 08, 2018 5:15 am

neel thompson wrote:Carl... Just a quick question... When you clamp something with multiple clamps, do you actually measure between each one to make sure they are exactly evenly spaced? If the answer is "yes", you may need to see someone !! Very nice work.

Dang! You caught me!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks Neel. Believe it or not, it'a automatic. No conscious attempt to space them that way, it just sort of happens. I suppose it's my software engineering and aircraft mechanic background.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Milhouse

Postby Milhouse » Tue May 08, 2018 8:24 am

I suppose it's my software engineering and aircraft mechanic background.

You are a Software Engineer, Bill is a Civil/Structural Engineer, I am an Electrical Engineer, any other Engineers out there?

Carl did you fix planes in the service? I was an avionics tech in the Marines, must be something about us that draws us to these professions and hobbies.
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Tue May 08, 2018 9:10 am

Milhouse wrote:Carl did you fix planes in the service? I was an avionics tech in the Marines, must be something about us that draws us to these professions and hobbies.

Jim,

I was a structural/hydraulic mechanic in the Navy, then worked for United Airlines and several defense contractors until 2006. Got my Bachelors in Computer Science in 2005 and started Software Engineering in 06. Been doing it since.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

DrBryanJ

Postby DrBryanJ » Tue May 08, 2018 9:54 am

My undergraduate study was chem e, but never worked in the field. Went straight to dental school.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

Return to “Power Boats”