Building The Vera Cruise

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Bill Edmundson

Re: Building The Vera Cruise

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue May 08, 2018 11:56 am

Bryan

Dentistry is just Civil engineering on a different scale.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

DrBryanJ

Postby DrBryanJ » Tue May 08, 2018 2:41 pm

Bill:

That is so true. You'd be surprised how many of my tools are miniature versions of construction equipment
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

Dave NZ

Postby Dave NZ » Wed May 09, 2018 2:03 am

And one from downunder.

I started out as a civil engineer with a focus on reinforced concrete construction.

Have been a strategist for a while now - I tell folks that engineering and strategy are similar... you start with the dream (vision) of what a building looks like, start the design at the roof, end at foundations, and build it in reverse. In strategy, its start with a vision, work back to what's going on today and develop an implementation plan to get to the future.

:)

NAMEngJS

Postby NAMEngJS » Wed May 09, 2018 9:05 am

Milhouse wrote:
I suppose it's my software engineering and aircraft mechanic background.

You are a Software Engineer, Bill is a Civil/Structural Engineer, I am an Electrical Engineer, any other Engineers out there?

I am a Naval Architect & Marine Engineer. Been doing this for a few years. Specialize mostly in commercial ATB Tug & Barge Units

DJI_0057.JPG
All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds, wake to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers by day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

Milhouse

Postby Milhouse » Wed May 09, 2018 12:42 pm

I am a Naval Architect & Marine Engineer. Been doing this for a few years. Specialize mostly in commercial ATB Tug & Barge Units

Very cool picture! and you still like making little boats on the side :D
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Wed May 09, 2018 3:31 pm

Well, well, lots of engineer types here!

I guess then it's okay to talk shop! So I'll pass on an update.

After mocking up the cabinet, I realized that I will need an additional joist under the floor to support it in front of the cabinet. So today I made a stub floor timber and attached it to the frame. The joist will be anchored on this and on an existing floor timber on the next frame aft. I'll be making the joist soon.

Also did some more encapsulation.

IMG_20180509_165713.jpg

IMG_20180509_160603.jpg
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

DrBryanJ

Postby DrBryanJ » Wed May 09, 2018 5:07 pm

Sorry Carl, we did kind of hijack your thread there. Everything is looking good. You're making good progress even though it doesn't feel like it.
Bryan

tcough

Postby tcough » Wed May 09, 2018 6:12 pm

Milhouse wrote:
I suppose it's my software engineering and aircraft mechanic background.

You are a Software Engineer, Bill is a Civil/Structural Engineer, I am an Electrical Engineer, any other Engineers out there?

Carl did you fix planes in the service? I was an avionics tech in the Marines, must be something about us that draws us to these professions and hobbies.

Civil/Structural Engineer for the Air Force here.
Happy Boating,
Tracy

Building a 19'-9" Flats Flyer

Milhouse

Postby Milhouse » Thu May 10, 2018 6:34 pm

Sorry to hijack your thread Carl :?
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Sun May 13, 2018 11:50 am

No worries about the hijacking. All part of the conversation.

I've mostly been working on the floor pieces this weekend, trying to get to the point of painting under the floor. Also continuing to encapsulate other parts (mainly the seat boxes). I got the additional floor support in today . This will insure that the floor doesn't sag directly in front of the cabinet when I get it installed.

I've got to do a final check and dry run on the bilge hoses to make sure they are going to fit and to determine where I want to clamp them down. Then I should be able to start getting to the painting of the bilge in this area. The plan is to catch up all the bilge painting from the bow back to the area I am working in.

Here's a few updates.

IMG_20180512_095602.jpg
This shows the triangular piece that I added to the side of the floor boards and how it fits into the bilge area. There is a deliberate gap at the bottom for ventilation and water runoff.The seat boxes mount directly over this area.

IMG_20180512_094841.jpg
The cut out for the floor joist.

IMG_20180513_133103.jpg
The additional floor joist for the area directly in front of the cabinet that will be installed later.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Sat May 19, 2018 10:25 am

Most of this last week was used in getting all the final details worked out before I get ready to paint the bilge area in the cabin. One of the remaining tasks was getting some gussets installed for the cabinet and determining the bilge hose and electrical wiring paths under the floor (in case I need to make and install clamp mounting pads). I'm going to be off part of next week through Memorial day weekend and will be starting to paint. This coming week, just need to clean up any spots of excess epoxy and then touch up encapsulation.

I do have a question in regards to the placement of the thru hull for the bilge hoses. How high up the sides should they be? This is in the approximate center of the boat's length.

IMG_20180517_172110.jpg
Gussets for the vertical cabinet supports. I won't be able to install these once the floor is in place so they have to be install first.

IMG_20180519_110858.jpg
Determining the path and clamping points for the bilge hoses in the cabin.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

DrBryanJ

Postby DrBryanJ » Mon May 21, 2018 9:50 am

Carl: Looking really nice. Are you going to have an outboard with a motor well? If so, I think many run the bilge hose to the well and let it drain from there.
Bryan

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Mon May 21, 2018 12:16 pm

Bryan, the issue with this hull is that the lowest point is in the cabin. It would be a pain to run the pump hose all the way to the motorwell.

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Mon May 21, 2018 4:27 pm

Another concern with running the hose that far is that the pump will lose quite a bit of efficiency. Its about 16 feet from that point to the transom. I'd rather not run it out the sides, but the thru hulls will be painted to match the rest of the hull, so hopefully they won't look bad. But I do need to figure out how high to make the exit point.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Mon May 21, 2018 4:51 pm

I would say at least 12" above the water line. I don't know if there is a standard minimum.

Return to “Power Boats”