Building The Vera Cruise

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

mrintense

Building The Vera Cruise

Postby mrintense » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:20 am

Plans Help Needed

I've been looking at the section drawings of the frames, comparing them to the full size patterns, trying to determine what size lumber to buy. On every section drawing, there is a dimension given that I cannot figure out what it is for. It is shown on the less detailed portion of the section drawing, is typically from 1/2 inch to 1 and 1/2 inch and shows the distance from the edge of the side of the frame to an arbitrary line inside the frame. This dimension lies within the area that will eventually be the side piece of the frame.

The drawing below shows this (sort of). Anybody have any idea what this is all about?
Attachments
FrameExample.jpg
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

rbrandenstein

Re: Building The Vera Cruise

Postby rbrandenstein » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:12 am

I think it shows the curve of the outside of that frame member. The dimension is the deviation from a straight line at the center.
If you laid out the frames, you would measure this distance out and bend a batten to connect the end points and this point. It would provide the curve the designer intended for the hull at that frame.
If you have full size frame templates, this has already been done for you.

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:11 am

rbrandenstein wrote:I think it shows the curve of the outside of that frame member. The dimension is the deviation from a straight line at the center.
If you laid out the frames, you would measure this distance out and bend a batten to connect the end points and this point. It would provide the curve the designer intended for the hull at that frame.
If you have full size frame templates, this has already been done for you.

Ah, I see, it makes sense now. Thanks.

Next up, need to figure out how to get inside contours / dimensions from the plans and patterns (no inside contours on the patterns).
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

belphil

Postby belphil » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:40 pm

Maybe it is too early to talk about it but I study the possibility to have a stern drive engine fitted see enclosed drawing. My questions is how far forward to place the motor stringers? if it is up to the cabin bulkhead after frame 2 where is the best place to fit the petrol tank as the stringers will not leave much spaces between them to fit a large tank (not sure how big it could be either). Fitting an OB I will put the tank between frame 1 and 2. Any idea?
Attachments
Vera Stern Drive plan.PNG
Happy sailing

JB
Belphil
UK - Philippines

Lowka53

Postby Lowka53 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:40 pm

Your prints should contain that info it may be a little had to find. the spacing between depends on what motor you put in. my prints also contain where fuel, water tanks are to be placed.
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

belphil

Postby belphil » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:55 am

Hi Rod,

Enclosed new drawing, hope it make sense with position of petrol tank and water tank is per Glen-L Vera plan. The choice of engine is as per Carl early message for a Mercruiser 3.0 L.
Attachments
Vera Stern Drive plan 1.PNG
Happy sailing

JB
Belphil
UK - Philippines

Lowka53

Postby Lowka53 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:07 am

belphil wrote:Hi Rod,

Enclosed new drawing, hope it make sense with position of petrol tank and water tank is per Glen-L Vera plan. The choice of engine is as per Carl early message for a Mercruiser 3.0 L.
Here is installation of mercruiser engines http://www.mercurymarine.com/repower/me ... &product=8 as far as the tanks go with the cabin equipment it should be right the main thing is to balance it out it looks like they got the fuel tank close to center of bouncy so should be good there the water tank position at first looks had me wondering until i looked closer to what else is to be in that area ie stove and refrigerator on opposite side of water tank. the fuel tank would be great to mount it as close to center of bouncy as possible and should be marked on your plans as well. :? :lol: but i have as yet found it on my plans and my water and fuel tanks are shown on my prints to be in the aft end of the build in the engine compartment, but you have a different design than me. I went back and looked and you stated that you plan on lengthening the build so that will change you center of buoyancy but lets say you are increasing by 10% your tank would be moved 10% as well. note I am no marine architect and at this point only give you a best guess at positioning but glen-l does give tec support on there builds on changes to the build.
You also might want to start your own build tread so we don't hi jack this one and get things confused between the two builds
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
14' Mr John-being built

Rod H

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:53 am

belphil wrote:Hi Rod,

Hi JB,

Have you evaluated the weight of these items yet? I haven't had a chance to look at my plans yet regarding placement of the fuel and water tanks. I think the central location of the fuel tank is ideal assuming that it will fit in that area. As Rod mentioned, I think the most important thing is to keep the center of buoyancy in place as much as possible.

I have given thought to the weight of the engine and stern drive. The option document mentions a 700 pound limit. This seems like it might be a limiting factor. I want to discuss this further with Glen L.

I must admit, I am finding your approach to this interesting. It makes me realize that I need to spend more time thinking things through before making a decision. Putting in an I/O instead of an outboard seemed like a no-brainer to me because of the the document provided by Glen L showing this as an option. But I can see now that it will require deeper thought.

Thankfully, I haven't started construction just yet and have time to evaluate this further before deciding on an engine choice. I am inclined to go with the I/O if possible just because it makes the boat look nicer, but that certainly is not a good enough reason on its own to make this the final decision. Thanks for opening my eyes.

So I am chalking this up to a valuable lesson learned!

On another note, I wanted to insure that my lumber purchases are efficient and mistake free. So I have spent the last several days going through the plans and bill of materials trying to determine the best mix of lumber to buy. I cannot afford to make any serious mistakes here, so I will spend the necessary time to get this right. The choice of engine installation will factor into this so I am glad I saw your posts.

I have completed a rough cut estimate of the frame material as well as the other structural components. Still need to evaluate the planking and decking and various other miscellaneous pieces. I am hoping to complete this over the weekend and then start shopping around for lumber.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

belphil

Postby belphil » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:05 pm

Carl,

I have the same dilemma as you have, OB or I/O there are pro and con for each apart the weight. I do not recall to have seen anything lighter than the Mercruiser 3.0. The 700lbs is maybe only for the engine and not for the stern drive! Adding the stringers as you said it is tight. Please let me know what you will find out talking to Glen-L.

To install an I/O is easier than the OB as a motorwell is not needed.

However an I/O drive are probably the most complicated and most expensive way to go, it has the disadvantages of both the OB and the Inboard system. Maintenance of an I/O engine is not as easy that an OB.

OB, are great because you can lift them out of the water when you are beached or anchored. They are also relatively light, but quite expensive.

Inboard, can be quite cheap, but a bit heavy and will take up space in the hull.

So I guess probably the OB is still the way to go.

The question is now how many hp? The Vera can take more than 100hp but I can not afford that. I was thinking of 60hp for the boat as I do not need great speed but of course higher will be better but my budget will take a hit. Anyway if I go OB I will build the motorwell strong enough to accept higher than 60hp in case it is too slow.

The engine is the most important part of boat building and the most expensive. Maybe I will buy an engine before starting as never know how life will be and can always resell it.
Happy sailing

JB
Belphil
UK - Philippines

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:04 pm

Hi JB,

I remember reading somewhere that the weight consideration for the I/O does include the weight of the stern drive, which is why I am concerned about using this option.

As for HP, what I like about the Mercruiser 3.0L is that I can expect approx 95 HP from it. A similarly powered O/B will be much more expensive even taking the stern drive into account.

I understand what you're saying about buying the motor earlier but I would be leery of doing that only because it sort of locks you into that approach. For me , it's a non-issue because I can't afford the motor right now anyway. On the other hand, it's difficult to know what to plan for when you don't know which way you're going to go.

Purchasing the lumber is affected by this as well. So I need to answer this question. I agree with your assessment that the motor decision is of utmost importance.

I definitely need to get in touch with Glen L about this. I think I will compose an email tonight and shoot it off to them.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Lowka53

Postby Lowka53 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:37 pm

8) one other thing you have to do with a i/o set up you may have to change your angle on your stern not all i/o can fit multipal angles so you will need to know what your angle of i/o can be used on and make your stern the same. and the best time to do this when you are building it. :cry: :wink:
14' Mr John-being built

Rod H

belphil

Postby belphil » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:15 pm

ahhhh :( thanks to let us know then it seems if going I/O way it is important to know what engine we want to buy before building the transom or better to have the engine before... this limit the choice and reduce flexibility. The OB option seems to be the best choice! :?
Happy sailing

JB
Belphil
UK - Philippines

Gentleman Jeff

Postby Gentleman Jeff » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:30 pm

Carl,
Where are you planning to purchase your lumber? I am right down I-35 from you in New Braunfels and have started researching lumber suppliers in the area for my upcoming build. Alamo Hardwoods in SA seems to be my best (and maybe only) local choice here for mahogany, teak, etc. , but it's always good to shop your list. I haven't called anyone yet, just compiling names. I'm keeping up with your build and hoping Lake Travis will get some water in it by the time you are done!

Jeff

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:33 pm

Gentleman Jeff wrote:Carl,
Where are you planning to purchase your lumber? I am right down I-35 from you in New Braunfels and have started researching lumber suppliers in the area for my upcoming build. Alamo Hardwoods in SA seems to be my best (and maybe only) local choice here for mahogany, teak, etc. , but it's always good to shop your list. I haven't called anyone yet, just compiling names. I'm keeping up with your build and hoping Lake Travis will get some water in it by the time you are done!

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I haven't actually started researching lumber yards yet although I did a brief Google search and found one in Houston and Fine Lumber in Austin. I was going to start researching this weekend assuming I can get my lumber list completed and all the "Honey Doo's" done. :D

We'll have to keep in touch. It'll be good to have someone local to talk with. It's too bad about Travis. I'm close to it but it's essentially useless as a boating lake right now. Too crowded for the remaining wet area. We'll see in a few years.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:36 pm

Wow, Rod, I hadn't heard that before about the angle of the transom! Thank God for this forum to let me know about these things before I start. I sent off an email to Glen L this afternoon with some questions. Hopefully the answers will allow me to continue forward with the I/O. I still would rather use that than an O/B although I will consider both equally.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Return to “Power Boats”