Building The Vera Cruise

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

mrintense

Re: Building The Vera Cruise

Postby mrintense » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:05 am

Ha Ha Tracy, good catch. It wasn't even intentional on my part! :oops:

Today I am working more on the head box, more specifically, fitting the floor that sets under it. So far today, I've managed to recover from 5 screw ups. A couple more will be repaired later when I fiberglass the floor piece. One in particular, I carefully measured, then when I started to cut it, I thought I was in the wrong place and moved the cut. Turned out the original measurement was correct!! :oops: :oops:

Fortunately, I can patch this and after the floor is fiberglassed it will be good as new (almost). :roll: :roll:

Here's an in progress photo showing the floor piece I was talking about in my previous posts. It shows the relationship of the composting toilet and now it should be more clear how the center floor panel will be removable as an access panel. This piece will be repeated on the other side of the boat although it's shape will be somewhat different.

Still a lot of work to complete but starting to firm up the design now.

IMG_20171007_090058.jpg
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

JimmY

Postby JimmY » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:38 am

Well, at least you have a spot to sit and ponder your next move! :D
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Jimbob

Postby Jimbob » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:02 pm

Where is the magazine rack? :lol:
Jim Neeley
Sacramento, CA

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:45 am

This thread is really circling the drain. :shock:

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:18 am

:D could use it during build(to test it)didn't Ray use his during build of his true grit? :roll:don't forget about the vent stack.
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:19 pm

Well hopefully that will be the end of the toilet jokes! :oops:

Tim, I will have a vent stack with exhaust fan.

what is not really apparent yet is that the head box will also contain a small storage area as well as a small covered storage for saw dust, peat moss,or whatever is needed for that aspect. Also not apparent is that this will all be hidden under a lid.

Behind the head box is where the electrical panel is going to be mounted. I'm still trying to figure all of this out before installing anything permanent. I need to figure out to run the hose from one of the bilge pumps through this area as well.

The combination of trial and error fitting, adjusting the design as I go, correcting mistakes, and so forth makes for somewhat slow going.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:55 pm

:D Was wondering what you're using for vent fan? I'm thinking on using wood pellets and kitty litter that controls amonia put in larger freezer zip lock bags so won't have loose stuff getting damp.also have storage areas each side of bucket.

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:41 am

chugalug wrote::D Was wondering what you're using for vent fan? I'm thinking on using wood pellets and kitty litter that controls ammonia put in larger freezer zip lock bags so won't have loose stuff getting damp.also have storage areas each side of bucket.

Hi Tim,

Well I haven't actually determined or purchased the fan yet. I was figuring on some sort of electronic fan. I need to get the structure and box figured out a bit more so I can see how the vent will be placed. The basic idea is somewhere on the aft outboard corner of the box is where the fan will mount and then ducting going up to the side deck by the cabin. The seat will be mounted on the aft portion of the box leaving room on the forward section for a small storage area for composting material on top and a small storage area underneath. I am also going to make the inboard side with an access door in addition to making the seat level hinged.

So to recap, the box will have doors on the inboard side, the seat level will be hinged for bucket removal, and the box will have a hinged cover to hide everything. Next to the seat (on top) will be a small compartment with a removable cover for composting material. And for privacy, the box is mounted just forward of the cabin opening, leaving enough room for a curtain which can be drawn across the cabin opening. The curtain will be mounted on a bar hidden up under the ceiling at the entrance (or at least that's the plan).
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:27 am

:D I've read where some use a computer fan hooked up to small battery and solar panel.wonder if there is some sort of gizmo( that costs less than 150 bucks, that could create a venturi effect to suck out the fumes(mounted on the roof of Chug) :D
Last edited by chugalug on Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:52 am

hahaha this is super

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:46 am

Tomas- won't be so funny if you have hang over the side.I'll stick to my bucket. :lol:Sorry ,Carl

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:56 am

:D Say,Carl: what are you planning for sink drain?using holding tank?or draining wash water to outside?Dad's old Chris-craft has water drain to fitting down at waterline.I'd prefer it to be a little higher in case of fitting leaking water into hull.I'm using 2 water container(same size)1 for water and 1 for waste(dish washing)my drinking water will be bottled water. :D

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:53 am

Sinks and showers can go over board, gray water. Carl is using a composting head so there is no holding tank. Anyway, holding tanks can not be discharged unless you are more than 3 miles offshore, they pretty much have to be pumped out.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:13 pm

Bill is correct about the toilet, it will be simply emptied at the marina or at home. I am not sure yet about a sink. I have been trying to keep systems simple in the boat and would rather avoid any type of holding system for gray water. I am planning on a small mini bar (mostly to hold ice and a few drinks) in the forward port corner of the aft cockpit which may have a small sink. If it does, this will likely simply empty overboard.

As for cleanup for after head use, the plan is to have hand sanitizer and paper towels. If clean up requires more than that, there will be soap and towels on the boat for use with bottled water. I still may change my mind on the sink however.

This boat really is going to be a day tripper rather than a camper. It is simply too small for anything other than a single night over if I am too tired to pull it ashore. It will have limited capability for camping (sleeping, composting toilet). There will not be any cold storage other than a carry on cooler (and the previously mentioned ice container), and no cooking facilities. Food will be brought aboard in the cooler. I am considering an inverter for a laptop which could also be used for a coffee pot.

I have considered the possibility of a small Honda Generator but I am not sure I want to do that, and if I do, I would make it non permanent.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

TomB

Postby TomB » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:18 pm

We had a small sink drain via hose to a gerry can, easy to plumb, easy to empty, never spilled.

Return to “Power Boats”