Building The Vera Cruise

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

mrintense

Re: Building The Vera Cruise

Postby mrintense » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:51 pm

TomB wrote:We had a small sink drain via hose to a gerry can, easy to plumb, easy to empty, never spilled.

Thanks for mentioning that Tom. Seems silly that I wouldn't think of that, but it is quite simple and a variation of this idea would be well suited to my boat.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

TomB

Postby TomB » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:09 pm

I'm a pro at silly. We had a little pump type faucet kind of like the "Valterra RP800 Chrome Rocket Hand Pump" that pulled from a hose in a fresh water gerry can. The cans were different colors so they didn't get mixed. They were stowed the garage or truck when not needed.

Tom

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:49 am

I'm still alive. I've been pre-occupied lately with numerous things so the build is progressing a bit slower. I've been creating the parts for the head box and have most of them made now but need to get some wood for veneering before I can move forward with assembly. I am hoping to get that this weekend.

Here's a teaser . The head box will be a double hinged top (cover over everything and the inner seat level to access the bucket) and will also have doors on the I/B face for further access.

IMG_20171028_125215.jpg

IMG_20171030_165822.jpg
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Jimbob

Postby Jimbob » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:10 am

Carl,
Instead of naming it "electrical panel", you could name it "Old Sparky" :lol:
Your setup looks great!
Jim
Jim Neeley
Sacramento, CA

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:47 am

Looking good, but where is the magazine rack?

Roberta :lol:
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:21 pm

Old sparky? A reference perhaps regarding the nearness of the electrical panel to the head plumbing? :D :D

I had thought about that, but there is no actual plumbing on that side of the boat and the other side will have a sink (probably) so it should be okay. Just hope I don't have to interrupt someone's "reading" session to get to a fuse! :lol: :lol:

I also wanted it near the helm station which will be just aft of the head box (and outside of the cabin).

I have to say that while this is the fun part of the build, it is also the "slooooooooooooooooow" part of the build. I am looking forward to getting enough done to actually assemble something soon.

However, first thing I need to do is come up with an inexpensive vacuum source so I can veneer the plywood. Shop vac won't do for a couple of reasons. First it is noisy and I would need the vacuum maintained for at least 3 hours, maybe more depending upon temps while the epoxy cures enough to hold everything in place. I would prefer longer, say 8 hours. But even at 3 hours, the noise is unacceptable and the vac won't last long if I run it that long.

A new vac pump runs upwards from $100.00 so I would rather not do that (at least not right now - funds are a bit tight for XMAS), so I am going to try and find an old refrigerator pump. I think that for smaller pieces, the weight of cinder blocks would work (that's what I used when I veneered the inlaid gussets on frame 6), but for larger pieces like the head box sides and the partition, I want something more reliable and with consistent pressure. So I'll be vac bagging those.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:35 pm

This is going to be one finely, beautifully crafted Vera Cruise.

Roberta :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

TomB

Postby TomB » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:54 pm

I was reading one of the DIY vacuum sites a long while back, they said something about using an old dehumidifier compressor.
Last edited by TomB on Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PeterG

Postby PeterG » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:48 am

TomB is right, salvage a compressor from a dehumidifier, as long as the compressor still starts. There are plenty if DIY articles on the interweb for converting to a vacuum pump. That conversion usually covers building the base and some sort of reservoir out of PVC pipe. The rest is small valves and copper tubing and a power switch. They work great for veneering. https://www.joewoodworker.com/veneering/welcome.htm
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:59 pm

Thanks Roberta, Tom, and Peter. It's been a bit slow going because I was a bit under the weather last week and then on Saturday (the day I was planning on buying lumber to veneer with), the lumber yard was closed. :( :(

So I am continuing to work on the structure of the seat and head box for the starboard side. Most of the parts are made but I am rapidly getting to the point where I need to veneer some parts before continuing on with the assembly. One big project still to do is build the compost storage and TP roll dispenser into the head box top. That will be in the left hand (forward) compartment. Keep in mind that all of this will be hidden under a hinged cover.

I also need to get the bilge hose so I can see how that is going to go through this area. That stuff is expensive!

I am a bit concerned about getting it to run properly from the bilge pumps to the side of the hull without kinking the hose and still clearing the head box. It has to run under the head box, then immediately go upward to exit out the side. I am considering the option of running the hose aft to the transom instead, however that is easily 10 to 12 feet and I am unsure if that will be too far for the 1100 GPH pumps.

As for the head box, I wanted to isolate the bucket from the storage area in the same box so that the exhaust fan will be more efficient. I've started working on boxing in the outboard side. It follows the floor which angles inboard to clear the hull, that's why the back has the angled piece. Still need to make a center wall to close off the bucket area. The plan is to mount the fan on the outboard wall and run the vent line up to the side deck or perhaps the side just below the deck.

IMG_20171105_093751.jpg

IMG_20171106_170857.jpg

The seat box forward of the head box is starting to get worked on again as well. Here is the upper framework. The lid of the seat will be hinged along the angled part.

IMG_20171105_093737.jpg
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Jimbob

Postby Jimbob » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:57 am

Hi Carl,
I received my weekly web watch from ACBS this morning that had a picture of a boat that looks to me like the vera cruise. Thought of your build.
See Attached.
Jim
Attachments
Higgins7-Oppenheimer.jpg
Jim Neeley
Sacramento, CA

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:42 am

Jimbob wrote:Hi Carl,
I received my weekly web watch from ACBS this morning that had a picture of a boat that looks to me like the vera cruise. Thought of your build.
Jim

Thanks for posting this Jim.

I looked it over and although they are similar, I believe this might be a different design, unless the owner built it as a Sedan Cruiser (driver inside cabin instead of outside and aft of cabin). I briefly considered making mine a sedan cruiser but decided I didn't want to lose the V berth space.

It looks from the vents on the side that this is an inboard design whereas the Vera Cruise is designed as an outboard design but can be converted to an I/O. Of course it's certainly possible that the owner did these things. I'd be interested in knowing if there is any additional information on this particular boat.

I like the rounded front windows. The Vera Cruise design calls for square corners but I am seriously considering rounded corners on mine. It has the same bend down of the fore deck as my boat. Cool!

For comparison, here's one from the Glen L Site

dsn-vcre.jpg
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:01 pm

Neat boat for sure. The tag on the side says Higgins.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

JoeM

Postby JoeM » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:41 pm

Just finished reading all 140 pages of this build and I'm blown away by your craftsmanship and dedication! Beautiful boat and I look forward to following along and seeing you enjoy the fruits of your labor of love at launch!

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:11 pm

JoeM wrote:Just finished reading all 140 pages of this build and I'm blown away by your craftsmanship and dedication! Beautiful boat and I look forward to following along and seeing you enjoy the fruits of your labor of love at launch!

Thanks Joe!!. It's been fun and challenging (both to my skills and to my patience), but a nearly endless supply of satisfaction goes along with it.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Return to “Power Boats”