Building The Vera Cruise

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

mrintense

Re: Building The Vera Cruise

Post by mrintense »

Thanks for the compliments, everyone. It was fun putting it all together. My two friends came by and we had some good discussions regarding boating in general and how it relates to what I am doing with the Vera Cruise. Both of these guys have built Bluejacket 28s and both are experienced boaters. One thing I got out of the discussions was the need to do some additional thinking on how I plan to use the anchor well. I'll get into that down the road, but it mostly had to do with ease of anchor access when you're in a hurry to drop the anchor or switch sides of the boat.

Another recommendation, one which I have already made my mind up on prior to today, is to focus on functionality and get the boat in the water. It's real easy when thinking about the build, to think of all the things that have to get done, but I'm not getting any younger and some of the things I have in mind will take considerable time to complete. Many of them can be accomplished after the boat is usable. Many are strictly bling or extra nice things to have, but have no affect on functionality (except to slow down the task of getting the boat in the water).

Bob, regarding the pourable flotation foam, I have no experience with it, but I have heard about two potential problems. Over expansion which could bulge or even break a sealed compartment, and the foam finding it's way into all the limber passages, making them unusable. I plan on putting foam blocks in my boat under the floor boards and in the side compartments. I'm still researching this, but I think the polyurethane closed cell type is what i will be going with.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

:D Carl and Bob;I used some of the pour in stuff in the very front of "Chug".It comes in 2 different containers which you measure out and mix to gether.use a disposable container as I even tried pam cooking spray on inside of container-you can't get the stuff off after you pour out the mix .you have to vigoursely ? mix the two as you have short time to pour.as I left top of v-berth off,the foam could expand upwards. and after setting up,could use little vibrating tool to shape.the cheapest stuff I found so far was from Glen-L.I would try foam-in-a-can,but don't know if gas gets spilled on it if it dissolves. :roll:
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

jenko

Post by jenko »

looking very nice Carl

BayouBengal

Post by BayouBengal »

Bob, I poured a lot of foam in my build and am familiar with it. A few briefs about it.
1) First of all, Chug is right; . Don't plan on ever reusing the containers again. This stuff is a mess and sticks to "almost" everything. "Almost" is the key word because it sticks to plastic sheeting but will also easily separate from it.
2) Simply cover in plastic the areas where you don't want the foam to stick, but be custom shaped to. So for the bow, I dropped a large plastic sheet in between the forward frames into the hull. I then poured the foam in and it essentially molded to the shape of the hull and frames. You then pull it out and peel off the plastic sheeting separating it from the foam and you have a piece custom molded flotation foam that you can put in place and remove as necessary in case you need to get in and work on your hull.
3) Leave room for over expansion, it's impossible not to have it. But after the foam has fully cured (at least a few hours), you can easily go back in and cut off the excess with wood saw or bread knife.
PM if you want to know more so that we don't fully hijack Carl's build thread.

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

I've been researching foam for two days with not much luck. I desire to use foam blocks rather than pourable foam (at least for the application I currently have in mind) and have seen many place that manufacture it, but very few that actually sell it online. Admittedly, I haven't called anyone just yet (too busy with other things in my life at the moment), but I will keep looking. I only need a single 4 by 3 foot sheet of 1 1/2" thick foam. I am looking for closed cell polyurethane approximately 4 lbs. density,

Anyway, in other news, I am making progress on the bow compartment. The second piece of the assembly was accomplished today. Not a big deal in the scheme of things, but cool to me. I guess that's what counts, right? :) :)

Here is the lower storage compartment floor after being installed. The next step will be to paint the areas that will be hidden by the other parts (walls and forward bulkhead) before moving on to the next assembly. Before I can do any more assembly, I need to get the foam as I want to put it behind the walls.
IMG_20170502_165115.jpg
Carl

Clipper Boating

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Carl

I'm about to go to dinner. I'll look in my records when I get back for where I bought the foam. But, A local upholster supply house may have it. People have also stuffed cavities with swim noodles.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

BayouBengal

Post by BayouBengal »

For what you're describing to put behind your walls, I used regular insulation foam sold in sheets at home depot (the pink sheets of it with the panther on it). You can generally buy it in 1 inch and half inch thickness and then you can glue pieces together to get the thickness you desire. I also actually used this in a few places for light support.

For larger blocks such as under my floor panels, I cut out and taped together pieces from the insulation sheet foam to make an open square and then poured foam in to fill it. I bought my two part pourable foam from US Composites.

rleete

Post by rleete »

We use the big sheets of closed cell poly at work. I'll find out where we get it and post or PM you. I can get lots of scraps, roughly 2' x 4', but shipping them to Texas would probably be as much as buying yourself. I'll look into it.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Carl

Try Foam Factory, Inc. or www.foambymail.com

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

TomB

Post by TomB »

Carl,

I have used www.foamexpress1.com/Closed_Cell_Foam.php .

I see some comments about the pink board and the blue board. They would work for flotation too, unless there is UV, or oil, or fuel, or solvents, or heat, or sparks, then maybe not.

Tom
In the home stretch on a Tahoe 23

rleete

Post by rleete »

Okay, I asked here at work. Company we use is Acker-Pak, which has a basic website, but no pricing.

What we do have, though, is leftover pieces. They are approximately 4' x 2' x 4" thick. They do nothing but stack them up and eventually discard them. So, free for the taking. If you can figure out a cheap way to ship them (i.e. slap a label on them and ship), they are yours. It's what I plan to use for my boat.

Maybe contact some places like UPS or the USPS to see about shipping a few pieces? Let me know if you're interested.

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Thanks for the offer of the foam rleete, but I had already ordered some when I saw this.
Carl

Clipper Boating

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

So I am experimenting with a shortened (in length) cabin design in order to get more aft cabin. Many of you know that I am after more overall room on the boat as I plan to use it primarily as a day cruiser on lakes. Here in Austin, it gets quite hot in the summer, so the cabin is one of those places that won't get a lot of use. I can gain 18 inches of aft cabin by doing this design change in profile.

However, I also want to retain the classic look of the boat design, or at least something similar.

Here are a series of photos showing the previous deign compared to the shortened design. The previous design has the longer cabin (obviously) and is the first photo is each pair of photos.

I am interested in opinions, suggestion, etc.

The next step will be to mock up whatever final candidate I choose in plywood and try to get a better feel for the look of the boat.
IMG_20161102_140234.jpg
IMG_20170505_172136.jpg
Carl

Clipper Boating

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Here are the second two photos from a different angle. Again the first is the previous (longer) design
IMG_20161102_140216.jpg
IMG_20170505_171845.jpg
Carl

Clipper Boating

steveh41

Post by steveh41 »

Looks like the new profile should work well... anyway, best to let form follow function.

Regards,

Steve
The longest journey begins with a single step… then repeat as necessary!

Return to “Power Boats”