Food for thought:
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Bill Edmundson

Re: Building The Vera Cruise

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Carl

I think the shorter cabin will suit your needs better.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

:D When you sit down in cabin,do you have enough headroom? or are you going to be Quasimodo? :lol:
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

specialk

Post by specialk »

I will follow with Bill, you know how you will use the boat best... if the shorter cabin will work for you...!
lookin good Carl..!
Kelly...1st Boat...Flats Flyer
2nd Boat.....?

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

hoodman wrote:Food for thought:
That is a slick looking boat, not sure if the lines of the Vera Cruise could pull it off though

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

steveh41 wrote:Looks like the new profile should work well... anyway, best to let form follow function. Steve
I agree with this assessment Steve. Of course, form is important too, don't want to have a bad looking boat!! :D :D

Matt (Hoodman), I have a picture of a similar boat that shows off the increased aft cabin space as well. It was the original inspiration for my idea to shorten the cabin.
Bill Edmundson wrote:I think the shorter cabin will suit your needs better. Bill
Bill, Like where you live, it gets very hot here in the summer. Given that the cabin cannot be made tall enough to stand up in without destroying the look of the boat, it will be restricted to sitting only. And with that small of a space, it will get hot in there fast (even with ventilation). So my plan is to maximize ventilation and maximize outside seating and use a Bimini top (or something similar) for aft cabin shade.

Matt (HercDrvr), There is a picture of a Vera Cruise in the Glen L site with a similar profile, although it is still an enclosed cabin.
chugalug wrote::D When you sit down in cabin,do you have enough headroom? or are you going to be Quasimodo?
Tim, See my comment to Bill's comment. Cabin will be strictly seated only. Helm is located outside (aft of) the cabin.
specialk wrote:I will follow with Bill, you know how you will use the boat best... if the shorter cabin will work for you...!
lookin good Carl..!
It is a scary thing to consider changing the cabin profile. I am being very careful about this whole process. I intend on creating temporary cabin profiles and flooring out of low grade plywood in order to test out seating, appearance, final construction plans, and anything else I can think of before committing to the final design. It'll cost a bit more this way (throwaway plywood) but I want to get this right and still meet my desires for the changes.

Thanks everyone and I appreciate the input.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

And now for some additional progress. I feel that this cabin design is going to be a process of testing and trying out ideas. One of the first things I need to do is put in temporary flooring so I can check cabin height and interior component placement. It also allows me to work on the design of the under floor structure. A big question I still need to answer is where I am going to place my fuel tank(s). I was originally thinking under floor and I may still go with this, but I am also considering saddle tanks as I have quite a bit of room on the sides.

Anyway back to current progress. One of my desires is to have a constant level sole. Using a piece of the old building form, I made sure this was going to be possible. You can see that I am going to have to build up the height of frames 3 and 4 in the center.
IMG_20170506_200543.jpg
Then I started working on the forward sole template using one of the 1/4" poster board sheets I have. This is still quite rough and will be tweaked before making the temporary plywood floor.
IMG_20170507_102004.jpg
And another view of the side profile of the cabin. It's going to be interesting (and fun) working out the final height, shape and design of the cabin. Plus lots of visual progress!! :D :D
IMG_20170505_193133.jpg
Carl

Clipper Boating

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

Carl, I really like the last cabin profile you have mocked up. That design gets my vote, even though I don't get one.... Looking good, Neel

BayouBengal

Post by BayouBengal »

Carl,

I really don't have enough understanding the Vera Cruise design to comment, so my suggestion may be completely off-base. I'm in agreement with most everyone that the VeraCruise cabin design is aesthetically very pleasing and classic looking and you'll want to preserve that. What I'm wondering is if you could set up your cabin area similar to some sailboats, meaning the profile of the boat from the sides would look the same, but you could have a raised bimini that would provide you convertible inside or outside space as needed. Additioanally, could you design a sliding hatch type arrangement to give you additional head room when in the cabin.
Dehler_Bimini_2.jpg
6a00e54f072fc388340120a50c9749970b-800wi.jpg
6a00e54f072fc388340120a50c9749970b-800wi.jpg (34.89 KiB) Viewed 3775 times

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Gradually working my way through temporary flooring. I do a little , then sit back and think about it some more. Then a little more work and then back to thinking. All of this is simply to aid in designing the real underfloor structure. It gives a better 3 dimensional view and makes it easier to visualize the next steps. One thought that has already come out of this is the original height of the floor at frames 3 and 4 is far enough below the new floor height that I can create a long storage area under the center that will be useful for long items such as a boat hook and oars.

Anyway here's where I am at as of right now. Keep in mind that none of this will remain when finished, it is simply tooling.
IMG_20170512_154337.jpg
IMG_20170512_154352.jpg
IMG_20170512_160202.jpg
Carl

Clipper Boating

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Carl

You're right! Now is the time to think this out. When the cabinets go in it is really tight in there. Mine is two feet wide at the sole and that is very uncomfortable for me to work in. I can do it. But, only for short burst at a time.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

So, not having much experience with boats, I am wondering just what I can expect to have to mount under the sole. I anticipate a bilge pump fore and aft. The wiring for the bilge pump will snake in from the sides I assume, perhaps attached to the frames? Hoses from the bilge pumps need to run out the side of the boat. I assume these need to exit above the water line. Does this mean snake it across the underside of the sole and then up the side to the thru hull?

Assuming that these bilge pumps will eventually need replacing, there should be a way to access them as well as the switch (if it's external to the pump).
The wiring will need to be accessible. Is it common practice to simply screw the floor down and not epoxy it to the support structure?

If flotation foam is used below the sole, is it left out of the center section so that the bilge can be inspected, or made so that it's removable?

My plan is to have a removable centerline floor panel to access the bilge , but it will only be approximately 12 to 18 inches wide.

What other things might I expect to mount below the sole. I'm thinking that the boat will have two saddle gas tanks but not sure how the gas lines would run aft. I assume since the pickup exits out the top of the tank, that the lines would go through the side frames to the motor well area and to the engine. They would never be under floor. What about balancing the fuel load in two saddle tanks, would there be plumbing underfloor between them. From what I have read so far, I 'm not sure this is allowed.

I'm including a crudely sketched drawing on one of my previous photos. It shows some fore and aft support ideas I am considering. Along the top edge would be a batten to attach the sole to. The center box supports in the photo would not be there in the final design. My concern is boxing myself (literally) into a corner. That is why I am asking about below floor fittings. I'm thinking foam in between these supports, possibly removable assuming the floor is removable.
Floor_Support_Drawing_IDEA.jpg
Carl

Clipper Boating

specialk

Post by specialk »

I thought about floatation foam a long time...in my opinion it is well worth it...
I took..and cut 1" pvc...into 3rds...it was difficult. .
And with 5200 put the pvc in line with the limbers..
Put in all my conduits ,plus one...just so I could pour the closed cell foam in those cavities. ..
Mathematically you could fill my flyer full of water and it should still float..
I have no fear of the water. ..my wife has a little different option.. so for her and the safety of any one else. .I put so much pour in place foam...
Yes I did leave the center accessible ..!
Kelly...1st Boat...Flats Flyer
2nd Boat.....?

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

:D looks good,Carl.I'm not exactly sure but a bilge blower might have to be used if the fuel tanks are mounted-even if outboard is used.so might have to have hose and space for that too.also do you hook the two fuel tanks together so fuel weight is equalized ?I'm putting in blower even tho i'm using outboard as well (have moeller tank)also have hatches for storage and access in floor. :D
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Thanks for responding Kelly and Tim.

I'm considering pouring the foam in place after lining with drop cloth, then pull it out and have form fitting foam that I can remove as needed.

after I posted my last comment, I also thought about the bilge blower. I am not sure if this is needed if the tanks are above floor but I will find out. assuming that it does have to go there, then I guess there needs to be a set of vents (intake and outtake) attached to hoses. Honestly I have no idea what that might look like.

As for equalizing the fuel tanks, that was one of my questions in the last comment. Since it appears to be illegal to have drains on the bottom (and I assume low on the sides), I'm not sure how you could equalize the tanks since any equalization would have to rely on gravity feed to work. Perhaps there is some common pick up point that connects to the engine and it draws from both tanks, but that would seem to be entirely reliant on the draw of the pump and the efficiency of the seal. Hopefully someone with more information on this can chime in.

I would like to get answers to some of these questions before I start making permanent floor parts.
Carl

Clipper Boating

Return to “Power Boats”