Building The Vera Cruise

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

froberts

Re: Building The Vera Cruise

Postby froberts » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:34 am

AMAZING work Carl. It's taken me a bit to get caught up on your progress and you're killing it! Very helpful to see how you are planning out the interior layout as I've been struggling to firm up how I want mine to be. Keep it up! :D
Fraser

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:02 pm

Thanks Fraser, one of my original goals of the build was to document it sufficiently to make it available for others. When I started, finding info on the Vera Cruise was difficult.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:47 pm

I am in process designing and making the floor support structure for the cabin. This floor is 31 inches wide and approximately 6 feet long. I want to make sure that there is no springiness in the floor so there will be four fore and aft supports between each frame. To insure that there is good ventilation, the supports are going to be cleated to the frames and will not extend all the way to the planking. There will be a gap below them. So these need to be stiff. In order to get that stiffness, I am bonding plywood to the mahogany of the two outboard supports. These are under the edges of the seat boxes. The inboard floor supports are not stiffened in this manner, but will be supported in the center by a vertical support connected to the batten.

Nothing really to them, but photogenic material is a bit sparse at the moment! :D :D

IMG_20170702_091621.jpg
This is just experimentation to get ideas how to place the supports. They will actually be flush with the floor timbers. I was also testing the springiness of the overall design.

IMG_20170703_172401.jpg
Plywood and mahogany composite stiffener.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:06 am

A bit slow going since Monday because I'm having to catch up on yard maintenance after work. Trying to fit floor supports one at a time. First one took nearly 2 hours over a period of three days because of clearance issues on the underside (between the support and the hull planking)
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Craig Aho

Postby Craig Aho » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:45 am

Beautiful work Carl. Love all the photos and envy your patience and workmanship.

Craig

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:48 pm

Thanks Craig, although the patience is growing a bit thin lately. All these beautiful boats being completed and mine probably 2 years away from usability. :) :)

But I finally have some visual progress to show. I've been working on the forward cabin floor supports with a few considerations in mind.

First I want there to be good ventilation in the bilge
Secondly, I wanted the cabin floor to have as little springiness as I can manage
Thirdly, and I am still not sure about this, but I would like the center of the bilge to be usable for long item storage (such as an oar or fishing pole)
And fourthly (is that a word?), I had to make it with the Mahogany I have remaining (no large pieces left and have to wait a couple of weeks to get more)

So there are four fore and aft supports between frames 4 and 5. This will duplicated in the section aft of this when I get more Mahogany. The two outboard supports have to be stiff enough to support the floor without any center support (because there's nothing but planking to mount against). These supports got a piece of plywood laminated on the sides to make them stiffer (and it does)

The inboard supports straddle a batten and the keel. They will also likely have more concentrated weight on them at any given time than the outboard supports. So I built a support that crosses the battens and keel and then had a vertical member go up to the floor support. This is very stiff here.

Finally, in the center between the inboard supports, there is a removable cross piece. I was originally going to simply epoxy this in place but it occurred to me that I might be able to use this space for long item storage, so it's removable in case I go through with that idea. It can be removed temporarily and then placed back in position after stowing the items. Obviously the floor it self will have an access hatch.

IMG_20170712_172023.jpg

IMG_20170712_171933.jpg

IMG_20170712_171843.jpg
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

steveh41

Postby steveh41 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:25 pm

Carl,

Totally awesome progress! I admire your meticulous attention to detail. It gives me a boost to check out what's happening on your build when I'm feeling impatient or sloppy...

Regards,

Steve
The longest journey begins with a single step… then repeat as necessary!

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:18 pm

Thanks Steve, I actually feel the same way about yours and many other's around here. when I get lazy or don't feel like going out to the oven, I start perusing the forum, and before you know it, I'm outside in the heat again! :D :D
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:01 pm

Spent some more time today in the oven making more floor structure. It's so dang hot that I can't work more than an hour before having to pack it in.

But I got the floor timbers made for the cabin and started encapsulating the forward section. I guess the best thing about this is that once I get all these parts figured out and made and the interior encapsulated and painted, that the visual progress photos will start picking up tempo.

IMG_20170716_153404.jpg
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:30 pm

Carl

This is I think one of the hardest parts. So much time and energy goes into it and nothing shows! The hull is easy by comparison. Once your inside the hull, everything is a custom fit. That is really true with a cruiser.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:17 am

Bill Edmundson wrote:Carl

This is I think one of the hardest parts. So much time and energy goes into it and nothing shows! The hull is easy by comparison. Once your inside the hull, everything is a custom fit. That is really true with a cruiser.

Bill

This is so true BIll,

All of my cabin is custom and I've been spending the last several days drawing up concepts for the structure of the seat boxes, and head box trying to get it close to right. This process goes like this: Draw something, look it over and mark up the drawing with things that need to change, compare the drawing to the boat and photos and make additional changes, correct the drawing and start over the process. I am gradually building up a non scale detailed drawing of the structure that II can then use to build from. But there will be a few more iterations of comparing the drawing to the actual boat and making corrections.

What makes this difficult is getting the structure right for the expandable seat box, making sure it ties in correctly with the V berth structure, and the head box structure and is supported correctly on the bottom of the boat. Complex, but fun! :D :D
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:17 am

Keep working Carl. You've had some great ideas already with your boat and some even greater ones are on the horizon. It always happens this way; you draw, ponder, mock-up, and generally beat your head against the wall for what seems like forever, and then ... VOILA! The solution comes. And what's crazy is that very often the solution is fairly simple.

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:23 am

Thanks Jeff,

Yeah it's definitely worth the effort. One thing for sure, with so few of these being built, I will almost have a one of a kind. That suits me just fine. :D :D
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

gap998

Postby gap998 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:10 pm

Glad to see your being just as meticulous post flip as you were before - The temptation to cut corners to get it finished must be incredible! Keep it up - this is going to be a damned fine boat!
Gary

Planning a whole fleet, but starting with a Zip...I think.

"Just when you think you've made something idiot-proof, someone builds a better idiot!"

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:24 pm

gap998 wrote:Glad to see your being just as meticulous post flip as you were before - The temptation to cut corners to get it finished must be incredible! Keep it up - this is going to be a damned fine boat!

Thanks Gary,

Although in this incredible heat down here, I sometimes lose that battle to cut corners. For example, this evening, I am touching up the white bilge paint in the forward V berth compartment. It's almost 7:30 PM and the temps are still in the mid 90's F. I have to pour some paint in a cup and of course I have a fan blowing on me. Well, guess where some of that paint ended up besides in the cup. Should have slowed down and thought things through, but decided I liked painting myself better! :lol: :lol:
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Return to “Power Boats”