Building The Vera Cruise

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

mrintense

Re: Building The Vera Cruise

Post by mrintense » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:59 pm

Here's some more. I am framing the composting bin as well. Still more work to do on that.
IMG_20180310_142736.jpg
IMG_20180304_090114.jpg
Making the frame for the compost bin.
IMG_20180310_142748.jpg
Adding spacers to the frame. Another piece will be epoxied to the top, effectively sandwiching the bin in the frame. Then I'll make a wooden cover.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:54 pm

Looks great Carl!
Mostly encapsulation work right now which means coat, wait, sand, coat, wait, sand, coat....
Have you tried putting on a few coats in one day so that you can avoid sanding between coats? I feel that all I'm doing lately is epoxying and varnishing stuff too I was looking to speed it up so I tried applying two coats in a day on my bright transom on the sail and it seemed to work.

I used west system 105 and 205 and waited a few hours till it was not tacky and then applied another coat.

Here is the article I found on this method: https://www.westsystem.com/instruction- ... r-coating/
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:18 pm

Milhouse wrote:Looks great Carl!

Have you tried putting on a few coats in one day so that you can avoid sanding between coats? I feel that all I'm doing lately is epoxying and varnishing stuff too I was looking to speed it up so I tried applying two coats in a day on my bright transom on the sail and it seemed to work.

I used west system 105 and 205 and waited a few hours till it was not tacky and then applied another coat.
I do the double coating when I can, but almost without fail, the first coat on the wood needs sanding just to smooth it out. Bubbles form o matter how careful I am and I tip every piece. Most days, I can only put on one coat anyway because of lack of free time.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:11 am

I'm off this week and trying to get more work done. Lots of encapsulation so you know how that goes. But also working on some of the smaller items. I have the compost bin framed now and the ventilation fan is nearly ready for installation. All the head box internal parts are encapsulated so I can start thinking about assembly. I want to make the front frame and doors this week as well as finish encapsulating the floor underneath. I am also going to try and get more work done on the seat box. Ordered a few parts for under the floor and will be routing bilge hose as soon as the parts arrive.
IMG_20180311_142643.jpg
Fiberglass and encapsulate the starboard floor piece
IMG_20180318_124905.jpg
Made mounting brackets for the head box ventilation fan housing. Just need to match drill the holes on the box.
IMG_20180319_094849.jpg
The utility lid with the framed steel compost bin and wooden TP holder. Still need to do finish work on these. also make a lid for the bin.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

specialk

Post by specialk » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:44 pm

Beautiful work as always. ..Carl...your build is getting closer by the day...can't wait to see this in person at one of the gathering. ...
Kelly...1st Boat...Flats Flyer
2nd Boat.....?

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:37 pm

Thanks Kelly, I am trying to get it to a usable state. So much to do on these cruisers!

It's been a fairly productive week so far, lots of encapsulation has been completed, and I planed down the Cherry boards i bought for veneering the interior. Yesterday and today I spent making and fitting the veneers and then starting to epoxy them into position.
IMG_20180319_163145.jpg
The plywood face plate for the head box, This will be veneered with Cherry.
IMG_20180319_163108.jpg
I will be adding a corner piece of Cherry to the main head box. This will be blended in and rounded over.
IMG_20180321_143618.jpg
Fitting the edge veneers to the head box cover. Need to make sure that they all line up with the veneers on the remainder of the head box.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:38 pm

And a couple more.....
IMG_20180321_113020.jpg
The aft facing of the head box will veneered with these pieces of Cherry.
IMG_20180321_151551.jpg
Epoxying the edge veneers to the head box cover.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:53 pm

Carl: It's looking really nice. Hope the crazy situation in Austin hasn't effected you any?
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:06 pm

Thanks Bryan. Although I was not personally affected, the bomber was located fairly close, next city over. My son was a bit worried. Really a shame that society today drives people to do these sort of things! :? :?

I had two more photos to post, but forgot them earlier. Now I am just waiting for all the various epoxied items to cure so I can move on to the next phase.
IMG_20180321_175140.jpg
This is the access panel on the back of the head box. Panel will be painted before latches are permanently added.
IMG_20180321_175221.jpg
The compost material holding bin and the TP holder with the faux wood rod made from
a sanded and stained white plastic rod
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:24 pm

:D looks good,Carl.Say, have you tried some of that pour-on finish? one just combines the 2 parts and really whip it up(wear paint mask-as there's tiny bubbles in the air) then spread on with foamy or pour on .then use small propane torch lightly to get the bubbles in the finish.I used that on my fold-up table.
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

steveh41

Post by steveh41 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:47 pm

Really looking great Carl! Meticulous carefully planned work... BTW I have greatly admired your scale model posts & would appreciate seeing more! :D

Regards,

Steve
The longest journey begins with a single step… then repeat as necessary!

froberts

Post by froberts » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:42 am

As always, your attention to the smallest of details is amazing! Also, do you by chance remember how much paint you used for your bottom? just trying to gauge how much I'll need.
Last edited by froberts on Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fraser

bossyf

Post by bossyf » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:46 am

Great job. How many hours do you put into this project?
A lot of time spent in the kitchen and making food for my kids. Also, write a blog and share my experience of making food on an electric smoker. Check my blog ElectricSmokerGuy

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:46 am

Thanks Tim, Steve, Fraser, and bossyF
chugalug wrote:Say, have you tried some of that pour-on finish? one just combines the 2 parts and really whip it up then spread on with foamy or pour on .then use small propane torch lightly to get the bubbles in the finish.I used that on my fold-up table.
I tried a similar approach with epoxy in January when I was coating the partition, however it didn't work out so good. I am going to try again on something now that the weather is warmer. I'm using a heat gun rather than a torch.
steveh41 wrote:BTW I have greatly admired your scale model posts & would appreciate seeing more!
I haven't even been to my model building bench since the weather got better and I could work on the boat. But here's a few from several years ago (before I started building the boat). Picture quality is poor because I didn't have a decent camera then.
F84UprLeftFwdQuadrant.jpg
CleanupB25.jpg
AVG In Flight copy.jpg
froberts wrote:Also, do you by chance remember how much paint you used for your bottom? just trying to gauge how much I'll need.
Fraser, IIRC, it was three gallons of white and 2 gallons of primer, but I had to repeat several times.
bossyf wrote:How many hours do you put into this project?
Well, I don't want to discourage anyone, I am a slow builder and tend to get bogged down in details, and I've made a bunch of mistakes, but on the other hand I don't want to sugar coat this either because building one of these does take a multi year commitment. I am just over 1704 hours as of this morning. That's an average of 1.5 hours per day since August of 2012. There were many dry spells in there with no work being performed (for various reasons). But I generally try to work on it some every day.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

steveh41

Post by steveh41 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:34 am

Carl,

Thanks for the pics... BTW how do you add the panel lines and rivet detail? They really look great! The P-40 shot looks like the real thing making a low pass :D

Steve
The longest journey begins with a single step… then repeat as necessary!

Return to “Power Boats”