Building The Vera Cruise

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

mrintense

Re: Building The Vera Cruise

Postby mrintense » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:34 am

Thanks Matt, Peter, Bryan, and Billy.

hoodman wrote:Looks good, Carl! If you keep taking bites you're going to eat that elephant eventually.

A big elephant at that!! :D :D

DrBryanJ wrote:Very nice Carl. Keep going. We started at about the same time and you are so much more along then me.

Perhaps, but I think you will eventually pass me up as I am a sloooooooooow builder!! :D :D

billy c wrote:The progress on the interior has really come along nicely. What wood type are the cabin sides? Are the cabin sides finished bright also?
Billy

The original plans call for hardwood planks (3/4") attached edge to edge (I assume with dowels or something similar), however I am unsure of my ability to do this adequately and am considering an alternative approach where I use plywood veneered on the inside and outside with hardwood. This is sort of like what I did for the transom and I am quite happy with that result. The veneers would only be in the visible areas. But yes, the plans are to have bright finished cabin sides with a multi-colored painted hull. Like in the drawing below. My cabin is shorter in length than this (2 windows versus 3) but the idea is basically the same.

9_Mod.png
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:10 pm

:D Looks good,Carl.Are you going to install those chrome 1/2 scoops?
IMG_0849.JPG
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:33 pm

chugalug wrote::D Looks good,Carl.Are you going to install those chrome 1/2 scoops?

Tim, If I did, they would be for looks only or perhaps to ventilate the cabin. Since I am going with an outboard and the fuel tank will be in the aft cabin, I am not too concerned with ventilation. The cabin itself, will be open at the back and the front windows will be made so that they can be opened, so there will be plenty of ventilation.

I've also got a wild idea which I haven't decided if I am going to do yet, but which would be pretty cool if I could pull it off. Namely, I'd like to put two gull wing doors in the front part of the cabin roof that open upwards. We'll see about that, but it would be cool.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:57 pm

:D I like the side doors on the narrowboats-side-opening doors with hatch over both as an entry point.I already have two spots of entry on stern so might have that on next build :D

billy c

Postby billy c » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:11 am

Carl- I see what you are thinking for the cabin sides. You may find that solid wood is about the same cost as the marine ply and laminate. Maybe run a blind spline in the boards to join them or borrow a biscuit jointer or set a router fence and use the biscuits to join them.
Really like your paint scheme too!
Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

Jimbob

Postby Jimbob » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:58 am

Hi Carl,
That paint scheme is really nice!
If you go to the link below, you will see some gull wing boats that I believe you are thinking about.
Jim

http://www.laketahoeconcours.com/
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:46 am

Thanks Billy and Jim. The paint scheme was something I came up with about 3 years ago and then with the help of a few people here on the forum, it was tweaked to its present form.

Still pretty busy with work, but getting a few things done. Had to do a bunch of epoxy clean up so that was done yesterday. No pics. I am going to be staining the head box soon, so that will be nice to see when it's finished.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:48 pm

I was able to finally get to the boat today. Sure hope next week is better . I mostly did encapsulation, but had to do some final trimming on the port floor board first. It's now curing wit the initial seal coat of epoxy. Tomorrow, I will lay down a sheet of Fiberglas cloth.

I trying to get the cabin underfloor area ready for painting. That includes the side planking. SO those were encapsulated today. Another coat in a day or two.

IMG_20180415_130059.jpg

And I got around to staining the head box. I am going to let the stain dry for a week before I coat with epoxy. Then I will also paint the interior.

IMG_20180415_162907.jpg

IMG_20180415_162926.jpg

I've been doing more thinking about the cabin sides and I am starting to go back in the original plan direction of using hardwood boards instead of veneering plywood. Mainly because veneering is a lot more work. It'll still be a few months before I start on those, but I want to get the process down in my mind first.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:45 pm

No new pics today because I am still in encapsulation mode. But getting in some time everyday again. This is one of those stages of the build where it feels like nothing is getting done, but I know it is. In the scheme of things, encapsulation coats are fairly significant steps, but man!!!! :lol: :lol:
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

steveh41

Postby steveh41 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:54 pm

Carl,

Your progress is looking great... I know the feeling of burning time without seeing much change. It's all good :D ... the list of things to do gets a little shorter with every step forward!

Steve
The longest journey begins with a single step… then repeat as necessary!

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:50 pm

Carl, I'm building as much as I can then take it all back apart and encapsulate. Then put it all back together with epoxy. I started using those 4" rollers and I'm never looking back. I'm sure you're doing the same thing just with a lot more details.

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:09 pm

Yep Matt, I've burned through quite a number of the 4 inch rollers.Most supplies I am using for the boat i have found relatively inexpensive sources for, but those rollers are about $1.20 each even at WalMart. I need to look around to see if I find a cheaper source.

As a side note, you can get 20 of the 2 inch foam brushes at WalMart in the Craft department for about $4.00. The re perfect for tipping epoxy.

Over the weekend I've been doing additional epoxy work. I did get the lower V berth faces installed, but most work was just more encapsulation.

IMG_20180422_111933.jpg

IMG_20180422_111911.jpg
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:30 pm

Been a few days since I last posted but it's just a continuation of encapsulation. I got quite a bit of that finished today. Started veneering the seat box inboard face plates. Those will be stained and then encapsulated next week after they dry sufficiently.

I should be able to post an relatively interesting photo tomorrow.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:25 am

This morning, after uncovering the veneered seat box facings, I temporarily put everything together to get a photo shoot. Here are a few shots. Still a lot to do (as usual). :D :D

IMG_20180429_101720.jpg

IMG_20180429_101834.jpg

IMG_20180429_101921.jpg
This photo gives some idea of where I am headed with the cabin. The area aft of the port seat box will eventually get a cabinet.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:49 am

:D I've got a few of those 7" glen-l foam hot dog rollers languishing in a drawer I could send to you if you want them.need address so pm.I like using the cheapie chip brushes to mix as well as apply epoxy. :D or pour on and squeegee for large areas

Return to “Power Boats”