Building The Vera Cruise

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

hoodman

Re: Building The Vera Cruise

Post by hoodman » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:34 pm

mrintense wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:04 pm
With a bit of luck, no more walking across bottom battens soon.
Man, I did that until the. bitter. end.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

steveh41

Post by steveh41 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:17 pm

Oh yeah... same here!
The longest journey begins with a single step… then repeat as necessary!

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:43 am

Okay, well I got my plywood yesterday, wallet is 800 dollars lighter! :? But it allows me to move forward with the laminated floor supports as well as other items. And what the heck, it's only money right, can't zoom around the lack on dollar bills, at least without converting them first!

Seriously though, like all things expensive in this build, I've been saving as I go and no debt is being accumulated. I don't want my boat to be something I regret having.

I started making and assembling the longer floor supports yesterday and today and have two glued together. Ran out of clamps so I'll have to wait until the epoxy cures before I can move on to the next two. Also got the shorter floor supports encapsulation started. Because it's cool today, I had to make a few accommodations to my process. The photos below show that.

IMG_20181118_103047.jpg
This is what you have to do when it's cold outside and you're building 21 foot boat in a 21 foot garage!
IMG_20181118_112424.jpg
And because it's cold, the parts have to be brought into my den. Unfortunately, a bit smelly in the den!
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

TomB

Post by TomB » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:48 pm

Carl,

Two things...I'm using MAS epoxy - no stink.

I like the tub of pieces stored on the boat...Mine is labelled "pieces to small to save" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tom

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:46 pm

Continuing on the floor supports. With a total of 10 of them, progress towards completion of all is slower. The four short ones are nearly ready, but the longer ones (6) are only about 1/3 completed. Having to wait on epoxy and warmer weather slows the process down. Although it's progress, I'd like to have something with more visual appeal to show. Oh well, can't complain. Happy Thanksgiving everyone (well everyone in the US). For everyone else, I hope you all are having a pleasant day.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:57 pm

Carl - Looks like you have been making great progress! I dig the round hatch.

The good thing about pulling the trigger on a big purchase, like your wood, is that at least you don't need to keep thinking about the pending big purchase any more :)

I'm eager to see how the insides of one of these goes together. I poked my head inside my upside down sailboat yesterday and realized that I have a lot to learn / look forward to.
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:22 pm

The money for the plywood is just a boat payment, Carl. The advantage is that it's not every month and you can pay whenever you want. The only thing better than having a new boat is a paid for new boat. As always your fairing and other work looks excellent. At some point all the pieces will start coming together.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

psychobilly

Post by psychobilly » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:29 am

Carl,

You are saving a bundle. If you don’t want to regret, just go look at a comparable store bought bote. I think you’ll be very happy with what your hard work has saved you.

You have a beautiful bote and should be proud.

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:04 am

Thanks Matt and Billy,

Yes, I released even before I started building that most people who purchase boats get tired of the payments. That, along with the limited amount of time many don't have to use them and I think it gets pretty easy to justify selling the boat after a few years rather than letting it just sit and rot in the sun.

Short of being wealthy or some other means I haven't thought of, there isn't much that can be done about the lack of time. But having the boat paid for eliminates that hate of payment. And building it yourself gives you much more incentive to use it and to take better care of it. I've never owned a boat because I could never afford one for the longest time. Used boats in my price range always presented more expense and effort to get right than I wanted to spend. So it never happened. When the opportunity came up to build and pay as you go, it was just too good of an opportunity to pass up.

So no worries, there will never be any regret as regards this boat, even if it doesn't turn out as nice as I had originally hoped. Because it will be usable, it will a journey well worth the trip, and it will unique. So as far as I am concerned that is plenty of reason to finish the job and enjoy her.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:31 pm

Just some pictures. All I've been doing for the last several days is encapsulating!
IMG_20181123_151947.jpg
IMG_20181123_151928.jpg
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:33 am

Carl: with your attention to detail and craftmanship, I don't think there is any worry that it will turn out as nice as you originally hoped.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:04 am

Thanks Bryan.

Getting close to completing this phase of the build. Only one more coat of encapsulation needed on four of the supports and then I can start getting them ready to install. I'm really looking forward to getting these in as it will give the boat a more completed look.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Soloboat

Post by Soloboat » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:29 pm

Everything looks really great and strong I thought some of the scantlings for my build seemed small and not being an engineer didn't know of the idiot factor that goes into design eg if its made to withstand x force it could possibly withstand x plus, so my frames were the nominal thickness. I paid as I go but also recalled Glen in his boatbuilding book suggested sourcing stuff from unusual places; euphemism for dumpster diving. All the marine plywood had to be bought with $$$$ but I got lots of lumber from other people's remodel. I put the word out and friends and co workers gave me all kinds of stuff some I used some I still have. your comments hit home and I hope you get to use your boat as much as you imagined; I use mine a lot.Your boat is looking great.
) Champagne dreams and wishes are possible on a beer budget. Just build the boat.
Nice curves are easy on the eyes.
Go sell crazy somewhere else we're all stocked up here."As Good As It Gets" Jack Nicholson.

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:18 am

Thanks Denzil, I appreciate the comments.

I've been pretty bad about using recycled wood. I make the most out of the wood I have, but all of it is new lumber. Paying as I go gives me that option I suppose, Part of the reason of course is because I made the decision to use African Mahogany early on so I was unlikely to find much of that second hand anyway.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:16 pm

Yep, I am still working on the boat. The encapsulation of the floor supports and the cabinet took quite a bit of time. But now I'm moving on to other things.

First up, is adding a small piece of wood as a filler at the top of the anchor well aft bulkhead. This brings the bulkhead up to match the curve of the frame. It's installed and filled and epoxied, just need to repaint the area.

IMG_20181201_091020.jpg

Next up is starting to make a template for the aft floor panels. These are going to extend as far outboard as possible and aft up to the motorwell forward bulkhead. In this photo, I've got the template made from frame 1 to frame 3. I need to extend it aft to the bulkhead location but that still needs to be determined.

IMG_20181202_142751.jpg

So this third picture shows preliminary measurements of the motorwell forward bulkhead. The two pieces of mahogany setting next to the frame will be epoxied into position across the battens and keel (laminated) to provide support for the lower edge of the bulkhead. The floor supports I've already completed will extend through the bulkhead and will get additional cleats for support.

IMG_20181205_163741.jpg
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Return to “Power Boats”