Building The Vera Cruise

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

chugalug

Re: Building The Vera Cruise

Post by chugalug » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:29 pm

:D Looking good ,Carl.don't forget to do some wiring in those tight spots.I did and am paying the price for it :D
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:58 pm

chugalug wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:29 pm
:D Looking good ,Carl.don't forget to do some wiring in those tight spots.I did and am paying the price for it :D
Hey Tim, good to hear from you again. No worries on the wiring. Everything in my interior is still not installed. I'm making everything in components for installation once I get the main structure in place and any wiring run. That and lots on punch lists to keep everything in order should do the trick.

You'll need t post an update on your build so we can all see how she's coming along.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:41 pm

Working around chores, weather, and work. Got the lower forward motorwell bulkhead cleat installed today. Once this is cleaned up, I'll start making a template for the bulkhead. The plan is to tie the floor supports I made last week into the bulkhead (with suitable supporting structure.).

I had to laminate the cleat from two pieces in order to get it to conform to the inside curve of the hull.

IMG_20181209_142826.jpg
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:19 am

Hi Carl,
I got an email alert on a boat similar to the one you are building. Thought you might like to see the windshields and side windows.
Check out this link:

http://www.classicboat.com/classic-chri ... header.htm

Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:57 am

Very Cool Jim, thanks for the link. I will definitely be checking those photos ver more closely when I get home from work this afternoon. That boat definitely looks very similar to mine although it has more headroom than mine will have! :?
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

steveh41

Post by steveh41 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:21 pm

Carl, I'm enjoying following your meticulous progress... your 400K+ visits to date must be some kind of record! Keep up the great work...

Regards,

Steve
The longest journey begins with a single step… then repeat as necessary!

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:33 pm

steveh41 wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:21 pm
Carl, I'm enjoying following your meticulous progress... your 400K+ visits to date must be some kind of record! Keep up the great work...Regards, Steve
Thanks Steve. Although nothing like the amount of work you have in that beauty you are working on.

I have to say I was a bit surprised by the 400K figure. I hadn't realized it had gotten that high.

I was just studying the plans, photos of other boats, and trying to figure out how to move forward with mine. I've gotten so used to working on it, that I seldom look at the plans any more. It's a good thing I did however, because I see ideas and considerations that I didn't think of. One consideration that I haven't put enough emphasis on are the cabin sides. I'm beginning to realize that I really need to get these worked out before going too much further with the interior as much of the interior ties into the cabin sides in some fashion and I do not have a clear idea of what this is going to look like.

For example, I do not even know how I am going to do the sliding windows on the sides! :? :?
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

sproggy

Post by sproggy » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:26 am

mrintense wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:33 pm
For example, I do not even know how I am going to do the sliding windows on the sides! :? :?
Early Land Rovers built up to the mid-1980s had sliding front windows. The hardware is very simple but also effective. The channels are available (in the UK at least) in long lengths that can be cut down to suit. They might suit you well as different lengths/shapes of glass can be accommodated as long as the top and bottom edges are parallel with each other. And you could choose which half slides and which half is fixed. Here's the basic arrangement:

The main concern I'd have is about rust in the steel channel outer case if you used the boat on salt water - I'm not sure whether stainless versions are available.

TomB

Post by TomB » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:20 am

The RV industry uses similar moldings, fuzzy surface on plastic to keep the water out, slots in the outside edge of the track to let the water run out. Tom

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:52 am

I'm planning the fuel tank mounting and have a 30 gallon fuel tank in mind which would fit in the area quite nicely. But having no experience with boats, I am wondering if this is big enough, too big?

Here are the particulars. The plan is to have an Evinrude 115 which I've seen reviews stating a cruise fuel usage of 7 GPH. I've also seen examples on different forums of an average of 1 to 2 GPH in general use. WOT usage is stated to be between 10 and 11 GPH. Assuming the average this would seem to indicate 15 hours of fuel under normal use. Since I doubt it will be that cut and dry, I will fudge factor it to 10 hours of fuel.

Assuming that a typical day outing will be 8 hours of which maybe 4 or 5 of that will be underway at various speeds, I could probably easily fit in a weekend on one tank of gas.

Other considerations. I am planning on mounting the tank on the port side at approximately midpoint to counter balance a portion of my weight and the weight of the helm. The size I have in mind fits in this area and allows me to hide the tank in a cabinet. The fuel tank will be a Moeller permanent tank. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000MTCR9Q/?c ... _lig_dp_it

I have a few questions in this regard. First off, assuming that I do not use all of the 30 gallons in a weekend, but do use a gas stabilizer, is it reasonable to have the gas sitting around for an additional week or two? Is it kosher to mix in new fuel with older gas (again assuming the older gas is only a few weeks old)? The engine uses a separate oil tank, but I want to leave the option open to mix fuel and oil if I end up with a different (or older ) engine.

I will have a fuel filter and water separator in line. Also, I am not planning on making any special attempts to use alcohol free gasoline as it is not readily available anyway.

Does 30 gallons sound about right for my 21 foot boat, or too small or too big?

Just as a point of reference, my F-150 only holds approximately 22 gallons but this gas usually turns over once a week.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:27 am

sounds ok to me,Carl.I have a 20 gal in "Chug".Get the total kit. Has vent line and fittings and fuel hose.You'll have to get the fuel fill fitting,At the Resort,the boat tanks get filled and refilled often but sometimes are not used from weak to weak.seams to be ok. :D
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:30 am

Carl

I have a Yamaha 115 with two 22 gal. tanks. I takes a long time to run one tank down.

Your boat will probably have a WOT of about 35 mph. Easily cruise at 25 to 27. Four hours at 25 is 100 miles. That is a long way on the water. My saltwater fishing friends say, "1/3 tank going out, 1/3 tank coming in, and 1/3 in the tank."

It is best to keep the tank full to minimize condensation. Yes, use stabilizer. I use Sta-Bil. Stabilizer can give you over a year of fuel storage. It is best to use ethanol free gas unless you going to use it all that trip. Newer engines will run fine on regular which is cheaper. Unless the fuel is Really Old, it is ok to mix with new.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:11 pm

Bill Edmundson wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:30 am
It is best to use ethanol free gas unless you going to use it all that trip.
I am not familiar with marinas normal supply of fuel, but I can imagine that it is more expensive than at the gas station. Do marinas normally sell ethanol free gasoline? I know in my area, I have never seen a gas station that sells ethanol free gas. Perhaps there are some here in Texas, but I have never heard of them.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:29 pm

Carl

There are several stations in B'ham that sell it. That doesn't help you. It's pretty common on the coast. It's at marinas and regular stations. Yes, it cost a little more. It does give a little better mileage. Not enough to justify it in you truck. It is the best for stored fuel.

I paid $2.10/gal today for the car. No ethanol was probably $2.45 at the station. I didn't look. I use it for my boat and generators.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:41 pm

Bill, The other thing I forgot to mention was that it would seem from your previous comment that perhaps 30 gallons is too big . Assuming that it's best to keep the tank full, but usage may be as much as 10 gallons less in a normal weekend, it may end up always having leftover gas which then has to be filled up again.

I'll wait until I can get a bit more information on this, but my main concern was having enough to get through a weekend.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Return to “Power Boats”