Building The Vera Cruise

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

PeterG

Re: Building The Vera Cruise

Post by PeterG » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:55 pm

Fascinating and worth the effort, making a mock up and checking that it works for you. You only have to build the real one once and keeps the "oh darn, didn't see that" headaches to a minimum.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:12 pm

Thanks Tim, The CC helm looks a lot like the as designed helm in the plans.
hoodman wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:24 pm
The helm design looks great, Carl! You'll need a pretty wide area for a Teleflex/Seastar helm. I can get you the measurements if you need them.
Thanks Matt, I would appreciate that. I am planning on buying the Baystar hydraulic setup so it may be different. I've been saving points on my credit card so that I can get it for free. Should be sometime near the end of next month., Possibly February.
PeterG wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:55 pm
Fascinating and worth the effort, making a mock up and checking that it works for you. You only have to build the real one once and keeps the "oh darn, didn't see that" headaches to a minimum.
Thanks Peter, I can already see a few things I still want to change.

One cool outcome from this effort is I figured out a solution for a different problem I was trying to solve. I want to have a removable table and single pole leg for the aft cabin but was having difficulty coming up with a place to stow it when not in use. It occurred to me that the raised platform I am planning for underneath the helm might work as a place for the table and leg stowage. We'll see as I get further along.

Something I haven't mentioned much and which isn't really obvious is that I am planning on not putting in built in seating in the aft cabin (except for the helm seat). A friend of mine has a Bluejacket 28 and he uses fold up chairs in his aft cabin. Makes it nice when you want to move out of the sun. I eventually want to make some nicer movable chairs for this area, but folding chairs will do in the short term.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:30 pm

Carl

I have the BayStar. The only issue is how far it project from the helm. But, not a big problem. If you go with a new engine check with them before filling the hydraulics. They told it was easier for them to fill and bleed the system than to deal with a full system.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:01 pm

Thanks Bill, good info on the hydraulic fluid. I plan on installing the steering pump housing partially inset into the helm station.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:40 pm

I have the NFB push-pull cable steering. It's really good. But I bet the hydraulic system will be really smooth, or at least it had better be for the price.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:41 pm

My friend with the Bluejacket 28 swears by his hydraulic setup. Also allows the installation of an auto pilot for those lazy cruises! :wink: :wink:

Best part of it is that the bank is paying for it with credit card points.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:54 pm

Started 12 days of vacay today but a million things to do including dealing with a failed water heater in the home. However, I found time to get the last (aft most) floor timber installed . This will support the aft end of the longitudinal floor supports. The motorwell bulkhead will attach to the other side (closest to viewer) of the cleat when I get ready to install that.

Merry Christmas everyone!

IMG_20181221_154113.jpg
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

BarnacleMike

Post by BarnacleMike » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:16 am

Coming along nicely, Carl!
-Michael

"How long does it take to build a boat? Until it's finished" — yours truly

Blog (Utility & Zip): http://barnaclemikeboats.blogspot.com/
Website of Boat Photos: https://michaelsmaddox.wordpress.com

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:05 pm

Thanks Mike!

Yesterday was too busy with last minute shopping (because I am stupid and shouldn't have put it off) :? :?

However today (Christmas) after doing the package thing this morning, I went out and completed the cutting of notches in the floor timbers for all the aft cabin floor supports. It was a lot of work on my knees and I am glad that part is completed. Here are a few progress photos. In the second photo, you can see that the floor supports still need to be cut to the final length (right side of photo).

Looks like you could play basketball in there right now! :lol: :lol:

But I know once the remaining aft cabin parts get made and installed, that the available space will shrink rapidly.

IMG_20181225_133723.jpg
IMG_20181225_133919.jpg
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

psychobilly

Post by psychobilly » Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:22 pm

Looks like a whole lotta real estate bud! Sweet

billy c

Post by billy c » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:43 am

Wow Carl that is looking real good. What progress you have made this year!
...Makes me want to start on my next boat. :D
Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:58 am

Thanks Billy and Billy,

One of the difficulties I face daily is trying to have the patience to continue. I have many parts that are ready to install, and I am gradually acquiring purchased equipment that also needs to be installed, yet I also need to keep working on the basic structure to get it to a point where all that other stuff can happen.

Since I have a goal to get the boat launched by Spring of 2020 , I am hopeful that later in 2019 , all of this will finally start coming together. I've also realized that once the launch occurs, I will have many years of much more relaxing "finishing " work to accomplish. But getting her to water is top priority now. I am not going to wait until she's "just right" before launching. She's going to be functional and ready for all the "finishing" work still to come. :D :D
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:40 pm

:D Looks good,Carl.Is there going to be access doors in the floor or is it going to be sealed up?
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:15 pm

Thanks Tim,

There will be a 19 inch wide full length access panel in the center, and I am considering two access panels in the well between frames 2 and 1 (just forward of motorwell) on the outboard floor boards.

The next well forward will have the fuel tank platform above it on the port side and the helm above it on the starboard side so I am not sure if I will have access panels in these areas.

Initially however, there will just be the center access panel from which I can reach most of the area under the floor. I'll decide about the remainder before I install the floor boards.

Motor well will have it's own access to the bottom of the transom
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:39 am

Yes, I am still building. Several un-photogenic pieces, but today a small bit. All the floor supports are completed and ready for installation. I want to encapsulate all the areas in the bilge and then paint before installing the floor supports. Have to wait for warmer weather for that. So in the meantime, I am working on the floor boar templates (and eventually the floor boards).

Working on my knees is not fun, but the sooner I get all this done, the sooner I can work at a more reasonable level.

Here is the port aft floor template. I'll be working on the starboard side next. Then tomorrow, if it's not raining, I'll try to get the floor boards made and fitted.

Need to square up the far left side when I lay out the floor panel
Need to square up the far left side when I lay out the floor panel

Starboard side will be similar. Center access panel will basically be a 19 inch wide full length rectangle.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Return to “Power Boats”