Building The Vera Cruise

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

mrintense

Re: Building The Vera Cruise

Post by mrintense » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:16 pm

Started working on the new design for the cabin side windows. I've actually already started making the parts but no photos yet. However here is a drawing showing the cross section. These will set inside the window openings and be flush on the exterior of the cabin. The prototype of my previous design had all kinds of shortcomings which were easier dealt with by a rethink of the approach. I like this design far better. As soon as I have some in progress photos, I'll post them.

If the drawing isn't clear, the basic idea is to sandwich the polycarbonate between two wooden frames requiring no screws through the poly, only around the perimeter of the frame. The screw heads will be hidden by the landings when closed. They will be visible when the window is opened but I could probably lay in a veneer if necessary.

Cabin Side Window Cross Section V2.png
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:18 pm

I've been busy with many things, only some of which involves the boat. But I've started fiberglassing the top deck and have the starboard aft section nearly finished. Unfortunately, I mis-cut my supply of cloth and don't have enough to complete the deck. So I had to call Gayle today and order some more. Since I am off this week, I asked to have it expedited and as usual, Gayle was very accommodating. So nice working with a business that has people that care about others.

I've also been making rough cut frames for the windows. I have two more to go and then I can start shaping them to fit in the window openings.
IMG_20191012_133919.jpg
IMG_20191012_163729.jpg
IMG_20191014_091201.jpg
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:24 am

:D Looks good,Carl.the ones in the old Chris-Craft are plate glass.edges are really rough.The way its going,you will be hitting the water before me.
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:24 am

:D Looks good,Carl.can't figure out how I doubled up. maybe Bill can delete this post
Last edited by chugalug on Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:05 pm

Carl,

You do such nice work and everything you do is well thought out. Your window opening fixture will be interesting to see--very clever.

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:53 pm

Thanks Gayle and Tim.

Unfortunately, I've had a bit of a setback with the windows which is going to slow things down. After sanding the first two frames to fit in the window openings, I was not happy with the inconsistent gaps around the frames. It highlighted the deficiency of trying to sand these openings to a drawn line versus using a template and routing them. I also determined that it is not going to be practical to make the aft window so that it opens. I'll cover that in a moment.

Regarding the window openings, I have decided to step back and make some templates and clean up the opening edges using a router. The deficiencies are subtle, but I know they are there and don't want to leave them that way. I am also going to redo the frames using wider boards so that I can use fewer pieces. I'll use templates to cut these as well (using a router). What I am after is a consistent gap around the window frame. All of this is going to take some time. In the meantime, I still need to finish the deck fiberglass so I'll be getting back to that tomorrow.

As for the aft window not being able to open, the reason is simple. In order to hinge the window frame, there needs to be a sufficient straight section along the top. The forward window has no problems with this, but the aft window's top edge only has a very short straight section. The window frame would have insufficient support and the window would likely flap too much.

I tried playing around with the shape to extend the straight edge, but I could not get it to look right. Every attempt ended up looking uglier than the gentle curve it currently has. I decided that it wasn't worth wrecking the appearance just so the rear windows could open.

So it's a bummer. I've lost about 7 days work, but I know that if I don't fix this, it is going to bug me for the rest of my life.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:13 am

Carl: That's too bad. I've been there. You have everything figured out in your head, but when you start the work you look back and say "Damn!!!! That's not going to work!!!!" (Usually in a saltier language.) So it's back to the drawing board or the thinking chair. You are very smart and capable. I know you will find a way to make things work. You always do. It will just take a little more time.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:39 am

:( That's a bummer,Carl.If the front window was stationary,you could put hinges on middle post and have aft window open out like wind wing.On the old boat,I think there are 2 upright posts.maybe front window could open too.

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:24 pm

Thanks Bryan and Tim,

It is a shame to have lost the days of work, but I am confident that I can do a better job the second time around. Having little real word working experience before this build, I've done a lot of things the hard way and not always the most accurate way only to learn of better ways later on.

Today I picked up fresh lumber(for the window frames) and some MDF (to make router templates) and should be able to start getting into this tomorrow, although I want to prioritize the deck fiberglassing so it's done by the end of the weekend(or nearly so).

Tim, I considered mounting the aft windows on the center post, but there was no real reason to do so (other than ventilation - and there should be plenty of that from other windows). They would have swung out quite a bit and been just as floppy . SO I will limit the opening windows to the forward side windows. The forward facing cabin windows will also be hinged to open, so ventilation will not be a problem. And I can access all the deck cleats from the forward side window or from the aft cabin.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:24 pm

Moving forward on getting the decks glassed. Both aft decks are now glassed with a few fill coats still needed on the port side. The foredeck has been seal coated and I'll start on the glass for it tomorrow. Eventually, I'll be cutting out the openings for the deck hatch and the anchor well, but probably not before the end of the year. I want to get the window frames remade and then get the cabin sides and top started.

IMG_20191018_105633.jpg
IMG_20191018_160121.jpg
IMG_20191018_160128.jpg
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

steveh41

Post by steveh41 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:38 pm

Looks great Carl... it's going to be a beauty!

Steve
The longest journey begins with a single step… then repeat as necessary!

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:14 pm

Looks nice Carl. Every time I see photos of your build in the garage, I am amazed at what you are accomplishing in such tight spaces. Everyone who has questions about what they can actually build in their space should look at your posts.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:34 pm

Great Work Carl!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:02 pm

Thanks for the kind words Steve, Bryan, and Bill.

Bryan, it's been challenging at times but I am glad I made the decision to go forward with this design. At this point, I'll only have to do the mast and top windscreen outside the garage. And of course, once it's on a trailer (or has a motor) it will no longer fit.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:00 pm

:D You're welcome to put it in my boat shed.I pulled chug out today and put her in the lake. :D

Return to “Power Boats”