nc721

Re: Building The Vera Cruise

Post by nc721 »

Looking great.

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Thanks Lee and NC.

My building is progressing. This last weekend I got the port aft floor board split and additional supports added to the underfloor structure. Also cut down the excess material on the top edges of the front and side cabin parts. Applied some fairing compound and started sanding that down. I'm trying to get most of the upper sanding and wood removal work done because I want to start getting the forward cabin fittings installed. I don't want to have to clean the forward cabin twice.

I have quite a bit of work to do in this area, including under the floor. I figure this is going to be easier to do this now before starting and installing the aft wall and aft cabin fittings.

IMG_20200405_131343.jpg
IMG_20200405_131429.jpg
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

JimmY

Post by JimmY »

The front looks great, you are the master of compound angles.

You better get a move on, there is another Vera Cruise build getting close to the flip! :lol:
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

Looking great Carl... Is the roof top going to be glassed?

footer

Post by footer »

Those front windows look great. That center post was spot on! Nice work.

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Thanks Jimmy, Neel, and Footer

Yes, the top is going to be glassed and painted white. The sides will remain natural wood (protected of course). That front window assembly was definitely a challenge when I was working on it earlier this year. I am hoping to do a simpler design for the windshield on the roof but that is going to depend upon if I can work out a way to attach a bimini extension to it when closing up the boat. There will be a fold down bimini that has extensions that attach to the back, the sides, and the windscreen so that the entire interior can be closed off when desired.

Since I can't do the windscreen until the boat is out of the garage, it'll be awhile before I have to worry about that.
Carl

Clipper Boating

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

She is looking great Carl!
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

You'll have to get a sailrite catalog.They have quite a few ways to mount tops plus you can get all the top material as well as interior cushion stuff.They also have videos on how to make it. :D
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Sorry I've been away for awhile. I'm at a stage where there's a lot of mundane small tasks that need to be accomplished as well as planning for the cabin electrical. I'm dividing my time between those small tasks and trying to get a better understanding on the electrical. The current plan is to get the forward cabin under floor area completely finished with pre-wiring and bilge hoses, then install the side floor boards. Then install wiring runs for forward cabin electrical and finally start installing the interior pieces (seat box assemblies, cabinet, and head box).

The cabin interior pieces are all in need of some cleaning up and refinishing, so those are getting tackled at the same time. Once I get to that point, I will move back to the aft cabin and start working on the helm station. Here are a few samples of the various work being done.
The sink cabinet and the partition both needed to be fitted to the cabin sides. The cabinet has been done here.
The sink cabinet and the partition both needed to be fitted to the cabin sides. The cabinet has been done here.
Lots of little pads needed for clamp mounting points.
Lots of little pads needed for clamp mounting points.
Refinishing the interior of one of the seat box assemblies. The original paint needed sanding and redone.
Refinishing the interior of one of the seat box assemblies. The original paint needed sanding and redone.
Carl

Clipper Boating

steveh41

Post by steveh41 »

Great work Carl! Well thought out and carefully executed... she's a beauty in progress.

Steve
The longest journey begins with a single step… then repeat as necessary!

Aussie

Post by Aussie »

Great work Carl,

Can’t wait to see this boat when completed.

A lot of detail going into the fit out of the interior and can’t wait to see the finished product.

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Thanks Jamie and Steve. Sorry for the delayed response. I've been doing lots of mundane chores on the boat, trying to get the forward cabin section to the point where I can assemble it. There's still much to do. The plan is to try and get all the messy stuff done so I don't have to vacuum out the bilge. Also need to touch up paint in that area.

Some of the work I've been doing is refinishing all the forward cabin interior cabinetry. They were stained and epoxied several years ago, but I was never very happy with their appearance. So they are getting a smooth sanding and new clear coat applied. I'm also redoing the interior paint.

The transom drain holes were drilled through. The cabin roof line edges have now all been radiused.

Head box after repainting interior and redoing exterior.
Head box after repainting interior and redoing exterior.
Still needs a few more coats of white. And I'll be clear coating the exterior.
Still needs a few more coats of white. And I'll be clear coating the exterior.
The cabin roof lines after radiusing the edges.
The cabin roof lines after radiusing the edges.
Carl

Clipper Boating

steveh41

Post by steveh41 »

Carl,

Two thumbs up on the cabin roofline!

Steve
The longest journey begins with a single step… then repeat as necessary!

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Carl

I love this part. It does get frustrating that it seems so much still to do! Keep on keeping on! :)

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

The windshield and roofline are really nice,
Matt B

Return to “Power Boats”