Building The Vera Cruise

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Milhouse

Re: Building The Vera Cruise

Post by Milhouse »

Carl - Glad to see you using the pump vs the cinder blocks :)

https://www.joewoodworker.com/ is the place to go for your vacuum bag accessories.

The polyurethane bag is super tough.

I use the polyurethane bag with the breather mesh on a 4'x4' plywood platen with relief cuts on the bottom. works like a charm. No mastic at all needed. Note that a thicker bag will help integrate the pressure over the surface. A top caul is recommend as well if possible.

Put packing tape on the platen and you don't have to worry about your work sticking to it.

I have never used epoxy for my veneer glue. its rather quite flexible even after 24 hrs. I have used Tightbond 3 and the Joe wooed worker veneer glue with great results.

I think I mentioned it when you got the pump it looks like a oil bath type pump. I hear that it can affect the finish if the oil mist gets on anything, might want to be careful where the exhaust is ending up.
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

mrintense wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 7:34 am
Actually Bryan, I didn't consider galling when I installed these. I did a bit of research on this to get a better idea of the problem. It appears it can be somewhat mitigated by lubrication.
Add some anti-seize. Especially if they are stainless.
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Thanks Jim, yes, I am familiar with Joe Woodworker and the bagging process in general. There are some places less expensive for bagging supplies also. I recently purchased from Wicks Aircraft supply and saved on some items.

The vacuum pump is oil based but I have it running outside away from everything so no problem there.

In other news, I am working around delays in getting ordered items and materials. This pandemic has definitely caused a slow down in deliveries so I am trying to compensate for that but some items are taking even longer. So I am working on several different areas at the same time, switching from one to another as needed.

I installed the first part of the cabin aft wall. This is the upper part that also provides a small lip on the roof edge to direct water away from the cabin and to keep items from sliding off. Remember that there will eventually be a windscreen just forward of this area.

IMG_20200609_193812.jpg
IMG_20200609_193828.jpg
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Fitting the aft walls today. I didn't get much done because other non boat related things got in the way. Near the port wall, you can see the fuel tank box (which is still under construction). It will be hidden by a cabinet which will mostly be a facade but will have some limited functionality (i.e. drawers and a flat surface to rest things on)

IMG_20200610_164755.jpg
Carl

Clipper Boating

billy c

Post by billy c »

Hi Carl-
Just spent some time catching up on your build. It is fantastic! The cabin sides windows roofline and cockpit details fit together so beautifully. Really a well thought out layout and excellent use of space. Like the veneer layups using the vacuum bagging. Wish I had that when I was doing the strakes of my build.
Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

It’s getting crowded in there as it comes together. Looks good Carl.
Matt B

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

Looking good Carl. The cabinet with the white interior is going inside the cabin? or is this another cabinet that you've built?
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Thanks for the kind words Billy Bryan, and Matt.

Yes, that cabinet with the white interior is the sink cabinet going inside the cabin. It's just in the aft cabin because I have no place else to put it yet. Despite my best efforts to keep the forward cabin clean while the underfloor bilge paint cured, it got saw dust in there and I am going to have to vacuum it out again. So I've decided just to try and get all the aft cabin construction done before trying to install anything.

It'll be cool because at some point, I am going to be able to assemble the entire interior of the boat using all the sub assemblies I've made and it will be cool visual progress.I got some of the parts I was waiting for today so I can get back to the fuel tank box and I have the materials needed to continue veneering the cabinet parts. As always, lots to do.
Carl

Clipper Boating

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Small update. The weekend got taken up mostly by chores (thought we were going to have relatives over but pandemic had other ideas). Anyway, the helm station pieces are veneered and the fuel tank box is nearly assembled (except for the lid) and encapsulated. I've only been able to spend about 2 hours on the boat since Saturday so its been a bit slow.

I've got to do one more coat of epoxy on one side of the fuel tank box and then make the lid. After that, I am going back to building the helm. Biggest problem I face with that right now is that I have not been able to find any dimensions on the single top mount binnacle throttle control for the Mercury 115 Four Stroke. Since Evinrudes are the dodos of the outboard world now, I'm going to switch to Mercury. But I am not sure of the space I have set aside on the helm is large enough for the Mercury binnacle . I have limited room for this so I need to get this info first before moving too far on the helm.
Carl

Clipper Boating

denbrlr

Post by denbrlr »

Carl,

I am sure you will be able to figure it out :)

Lee

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

With the fuel tank box basically done (at least enough to do additional planning), I temporarily put it in place to start planning the remainder of the structure on that side of the aft cabin.. The plan had been (notice past tense here) to put a bench seat across the back of the boat and have it run along the port side up to the fuel tank box. No bench on the starboard side, only the helm station.

Well, there are some problems with the remaining space.

If you look at the photo, the blue tape represents where I thought the benches should extend out to. However testing this from a seating perspective showed that they need to extend out at least another 4 inches to properly support the legs of the person seated on them.

This severely reduces the amount of floor space remaining and presents a conflict of floor space (for legs and feet) where the aft bench turns to run along the port side.

Additionally, extending the port side another 4 inches inboard puts it past a line drawn from the opening of the cabin. So I don't think the port side bench is going to work.

A bench across the back will still work. The motorwell will extend upwards from the open area just visible in the lower right part of the picture.

Right now, the only other option I can see is no fixed seating (other than the helm) and just provide folding chairs for people. Not too keen on this idea and neither is my wife.

The pictures makes the depth of the bench area look bigger than it really is. Needs at least 4 more inches inboard.
The pictures makes the depth of the bench area look bigger than it really is. Needs at least 4 more inches inboard.
Carl

Clipper Boating

JimmY

Post by JimmY »

Hi Carl,

I love checking in on your boat, you are really breaking new ground with this build.

Have you considered either a toe-kick or angling the front of the seats? While this may close in the space a bit, you will still have the foot space to move about and handle rough water. Also think about thinner back cushions that may free up an inch or two.

You may not need the extra depth on the port seat, since I bet your wife will be in Cleopatra mode a lot lounging length wise. Put a cushion up against the tank box and make a chez.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

JimmY wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:23 pm
You may not need the extra depth on the port seat, since I bet your wife will be in Cleopatra mode a lot lounging length wise. Put a cushion up against the tank box and make a chez.
Not a bad thought Jimmy. I was kind of counting on having something along this side to use as storage and to give me a place to run some ducting aft from the fuel tank box.

I will on occasion have a total of four people on board, although the cabin can take up some of this additional seating requirement in a pinch as long as there's a decent breeze (very hot here in the summer). There will be two fans inside the cabin as well.

Just had another thought as well while thinking about your angled toe in. I could leave the area under the seats open, more like stadium seating. It wouldn't change the amount of floor space, but might give the impression of more room. But it would eliminate storage areas under the seats (at least enclosed storage).
Carl

Clipper Boating

TomB

Post by TomB »

Carl,

Maybe a jump seat for the side?

Tom
In the home stretch on a Tahoe 23

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

TomB wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:10 pm
Maybe a jump seat for the side?
Again, not a bad idea. I've seen some fold up cushioned seats that might work for that use.
Carl

Clipper Boating

Return to “Power Boats”