Building The Vera Cruise

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

chugalug

Re: Building The Vera Cruise

Post by chugalug »

:D Maybe a good spot to have life jacket or boat bumper locker.Or hold pool noodles :D
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

chugalug wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:50 am
:D Maybe a good spot to have life jacket or boat bumper locker.Or hold pool noodles :D
Yes, I am sure that it will likely end up being some sort of storage. I decided a couple of years ago that trying to get everything done before the launch was a losing proposition, for a variety of reasons. First it would just take too long. Much of this can be done after the boat is floating.

The second and probably equally as important is that I have such limited experience with boating that I don't really know just what I will need or want or what might be the best way to accomplish some of that. So I am building what I feel is necessary now either because it is needed for the launch or because it would be difficult to accomplish after the launch. I am trying to build things so that they can be assembled later (and disassembled again if necessary) so that I maximize my options. This has the unfortunate side effect of slowing down the build because I spend a lot of time just thinking about things and then trying to build to accomplish that goal. That's why the list seems endless.

I believe that I have at least two years of after launch work to accomplish to get the boat to a "finished" condition.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

There's always little tweeking that needs to be done to get what you desire.Part of the fun of doing it yourself.I'm thinking on a few changes to "Chug" to facilitate my new ideas-mainly to open up pilothouse sides so I can use her to fish out of.Going with soft side curtains instead of solid.So things get changed a little. :D Plus, the wife got her fingers pinched in rear door when slammed shut so will have to eliminate that-there goes my library.

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

Good plan, you don’t know what you need in a boat until you get on the water. It’s the little things, like where do I put my phone.
Matt B

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Finally I have something to show and talk about. Between work, waiting on small glue ups and just experimentation it's been taking quite awhile to get the motorwell close. In the picture I'm inly lacking two lids for the side compartments and then everything has to be put together. Right now its held together with a bunch of clamps and wishful thinking.

The left compartment is the batteries (lower) and an ice chest (upper). The right compartment is unspoken for at the moment. The bulkhead also needs to be trimmed to height. Most of this will be fiberglassed and painted when the time comes to put it together.
PXL_20201028_212342289.jpg
Carl

Clipper Boating

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Damn! That looks fantastic Carl!
Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

Looks real nice Carl, well done.
Matt B

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

Looks great Carl. The transom looks really beefy. How thick is it?
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Thanks for the kind words Jim, Matt, and Bryan.

The transom is 3/4" plywood for the main skin, overlaid with 1/4" hardwood veneer. But the center section is an additional 3/4" plywood. There's also the hardwood frame which is gusseted. The knee of course and then the motorwell. All of this I hope will make it strong enough to handle the weight and power of the 115 Suzuki outboard. For some reason these numbers seem low to me. I could have sworn I measured it out to more than 2 inches at the cutout. I'll have to look again.
Carl

Clipper Boating

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

:D Looks good,Carl.Make sure you use the transom saver bar when you're bouncing down the road.Wouldn't wanna have a cat's apostrafee :D

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Carl, it looks great. Stay focused and I think you will see water sooner than you think.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Thanks Matt and Tim,

I definitely will be using a transom saver. And I do hope the water trip will be this coming year.

Bryan, I checked the transom, its two inner layers of 3/4" ply over the regulate 3/4" ply transom plus the 1/4" veneer so its 2 1/2 inches thick
Carl

Clipper Boating

nc721

Post by nc721 »

Looking real sharp.
Nick

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

I’ve been following this build since I started building, That transom isn’t going anywhere. Carl is meticulous about his joints. The only thing I ever wonder about on this build is the final weight of the boat might be on the heavy side. 150 hp maybe ???
Looks great,
Matt B

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Hercdrvr wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:20 am
I’ve been following this build since I started building, That transom isn’t going anywhere. Carl is meticulous about his joints. The only thing I ever wonder about on this build is the final weight of the boat might be on the heavy side. 150 hp maybe ???
Looks great,
Matt B
Yes, that has been a concern of mine for awhile now. I was so focused on getting the boat solid, that I kind of overlooked the weight issue. I have no idea right now how much it will weigh and I was planning on a 115 HP outboard as this is at the higher end of the recommended power range for this boat. But I think that I will probably get the boat weighed before taking it to the dealer for the motor.

I'm not looking for a ski boat or a lot of speed, but I do want it to get up on plane relatively easily. The good news is that the 150 weighs about the same as the 115 so I can go higher I think if needed.
Carl

Clipper Boating

Return to “Power Boats”