Building The Vera Cruise

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

chugalug

Re: Building The Vera Cruise

Post by chugalug »

:D How's it going ,Carl.Boat done yet?Looks really nice so far.Trimming can be a pita!When I built my house,theres trim on top of trim.Seems to be no end. :roll:
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

specialk

Post by specialk »

Carl...just checking on the build...
I have a beautiful salt river to run her in...
If you ever get to cocoa beach...
Kelly...1st Boat...Flats Flyer
2nd Boat.....?

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Hey, Carl! All OK down there? Been a month and hoping all is well.

Roberta :?:
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

Maybe,with luck,he's just busy wiring and lost in thought about routing it.Was a pita for mine. :roll:

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Hi everyone, Thanks for the concern.

I'm fine. Just going through one of those slumps in productivity. I started fiberglassing the splashwell and then it got cold and I lost interest for awhile. I'm starting to get back into it now. I'm preparing to apply the fill coats on the splashwell glass. And then I have to decide if I want to make the hatch covers for the two side compartments next or move into the interior and start getting that prepared to do assembly. The interior work is a bunch of time on my knees cleaning and touching up the aft cabin bilge and then getting the floor panels prepared for installation. Fun, I love working on my 65 year old knees!

Sorry Tim, no wiring yet. Although, I do admit that I am somewhat dreading that.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

steveh41

Post by steveh41 »

Sounds great Carl...

My recipe for bilge finish work: knee pads, coffee and some upbeat music (80's alternative rock works for me), followed by a shower and Happy Hour (or two) :lol: :D

Regards,

Steve
The longest journey begins with a single step… then repeat as necessary!

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

Good to hear from you Carl.
Matt B

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

We all go through slumps from time to time. Hang in there, Carl.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

garyb

Post by garyb »

Gary here, a new forum member in the design plan selection phase of my next build and leaning toward something like a stretched Sea Knight, maybe Vera Cruise, but with Sea Knight-like, minimal, cabin and more space in the cockpit. I would ideally have a U shaped seat aft behind 2 seats side-by-side at the helm spot in the cockpit. I can create another thread for my design tradeoffs, but posting in this thread as a have a specific question for Carl.

Carl, your boat is coming on very well - you do fine work! My question to Carl is related to cockpit layout to have a seat at the starboard helm and the not on the port side. I've read many of your posts here and looked at your newer blog and seems that this was driven by a lack of space on the port side due to the sizes of your desired cabin entry companionway and the helm. I do get the idea of you putting fuel on port side to offset your weight on starboard. I'm not questioning this decision for you - looks well thought out.

Not having 2 seats there for us side-by-side though would be a show stopper. Since I have not purchased plans yet, I don't know the dimensions across the cockpit. Can you please tell me the dimension of the cockpit width you have? I was thinking if the cockpit is 6' across then there is 2' for each seat and 2' for a companionway width, but apparently it's smaller? Thanks much, and keep up the great work!

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

garyb wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:12 pm
Gary here, a new forum member in the design plan selection phase of my next build and leaning toward something like a stretched Sea Knight, maybe Vera Cruise, but with Sea Knight-like, minimal, cabin and more space in the cockpit. I would ideally have a U shaped seat aft behind 2 seats side-by-side at the helm spot in the cockpit. I can create another thread for my design tradeoffs, but posting in this thread as a have a specific question for Carl.

Carl, your boat is coming on very well - you do fine work! My question to Carl is related to cockpit layout to have a seat at the starboard helm and the not on the port side. I've read many of your posts here and looked at your newer blog and seems that this was driven by a lack of space on the port side due to the sizes of your desired cabin entry companionway and the helm. I do get the idea of you putting fuel on port side to offset your weight on starboard. I'm not questioning this decision for you - looks well thought out.

Not having 2 seats there for us side-by-side though would be a show stopper. Since I have not purchased plans yet, I don't know the dimensions across the cockpit. Can you please tell me the dimension of the cockpit width you have? I was thinking if the cockpit is 6' across then there is 2' for each seat and 2' for a companionway width, but apparently it's smaller? Thanks much, and keep up the great work!
Gary, first off, thanks for the compliments.

The cockpit (measured across the top of the sides - which are slightly angled in) is 70" Probably pretty close to 6 foot. The length of my aft cockpit is 7 foot from the cabin wall to the motorwell bulkhead (which is 24 inches from the top of the transom). However, I shortened the length of the cabin by 18 inches because I felt the aft cabin space was too small otherwise and in my area, time inside the cabin will be minimal because of the heat. Two seats across with the cabin door in between is certainly doable. The fuel tank could be mounted under the floor as long as allowances are made for it. My sole is pretty low in the boat and would have required a custom fuel tank to fit. It's approximately 30 inches from the sole to the tops of the cabin sides (in the aft cabin) so raising the floor could be done as well to gain a few extra inches for a fuel tank.

To be honest, the fuel tank decision was as much about making up for not understanding this early enough as about offsetting my weight.

A second bench seat across the back could be done in my aft cabin because of the additional 18 inches. I may still do this later. But I think the space would be very limited without that extra 18 inches. There is one photo in the site of a Vera cruise where this is very apparent.

One thing to do is thoroughly study the photos on the Glen L site of the Sea Knight and Vera Cruise builds to see what they did for the cabin and aft cabin. 21 feet seems like a lot but it fills up fast. Definitely doable, and 21 foot is still trailerable. One additional thought, I don't know if this is a good idea or what it would take to accomplish it, but a external mounting platform for the outboard plus extending the boat 10% could result in considerably more room. For me neither was an option because my garage is barely big enough for the boat .
Carl

Clipper Boating

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

A quick update. The motorwell splash well is now mainly completed except for hatch covers. It's been fiberglassed as well. I will eventually paint the motorwell and splashwell area but for now it will remain epoxy covered only. The center panel above the splashwell will eventually get some sort of hatch, door, or something once I figure out my needs for that area.

I'll be moving into the aft cabin again to start getting that area ready for assembly.

PXL_20210207_200446732.jpg
Carl

Clipper Boating

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

Looking good ,Carl.At least you're getting something done.It was -35 here with a little breeze today so no boat work.

garyb

Post by garyb »

Thanks Carl for the dimensions of your cockpit, and comments about the fuel tanks.. really helpful. I will keep doing my homework.

Oh, one question for you.. when you shortened the cabin by 18" did the new bulkhead location correspond to an existing frame location? Does it need to?

The remaining hurdle for me is the amount of Vee at the transom, or lack thereof. On the Columbia river here, the afternoons can get windy and white caps abound. My gut says I need a deeper Vee. I will create a separate thread to discuss and hopefully get some feedback from the group on how I might proceed. thanks again.
Last edited by garyb on Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steveh41

Post by steveh41 »

Carl,

Great looking motor well... aft area is coming together nicely. Peeking over the splash well I see you've made some significant progress on finishing out the bilge area. I like the clean white painted look!

Steve
The longest journey begins with a single step… then repeat as necessary!

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Thanks Steve, Gary, and Tim

The cold slammed into us yesterday and today we are getting icy rain. So boat work is on hold for a few days.

Gary, I can't answer your question entirely. The bulkhead for the aft cabin did not originally line up with a frame (I believe, but not positive on that. Would have to dig out the plans and check). Since the cabin sides are one continuous piece attached to the carlings and run from frame 5 back to the transom, I am not sure if that matters. I did ask Gayle at Glen L if the back of the cabin could be open if the cabin roof structure was strong enough and she said it wasn't a problem. The cabin roof beams are quite stiff when glued into the doublers on the cabin sides so the whole structure is quite strong.

The new location of the cabin aft wall is not quite in line with frame 3 but just aft of it if I recall. And in my case, this aft cabin wall is really more of a covering bulkhead than any part of the main structure. It is tied into the helm station and the cabin sides as well as the floor structure so it does add some additional rigidity.

Regarding your usage of the boat on the Columbia River. I cannot say for sure of the Vera Cruise is the right choice for that having never seen that river. I personally would not want to be in any water where there is risk of waves breaking over the stern even with the motorwell and only plan on using my boat in lakes on good weather days. You can build the Vera Cruise as an I/O but it may e difficult finding an engine and drive combination light enough. Another alternative, and I think I mentioned this before, but an alternative which I do not know the requirements of, would be an extension off the transom with the outboard mounted to that instead.
Carl

Clipper Boating

Return to “Power Boats”