Building The Vera Cruise

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

billy c

Re: Building The Vera Cruise

Post by billy c » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:38 pm

Carl- your build is really starting to take shape.
You are a true boatbuilder now that you have posted a picture of your collection of clamps!
...much more fun to use when you get a little more epoxy slobbered over them though :D
-Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:29 pm

Thanks guys and gals!

I did a little jig when I got the keel installed.

Harbor Freight is a God send when it comes to clamps. $3.00 each instead of the 8 to15 dollars a piece at the big box home stores.

Clamps are just as good too!.

Roberta, what you didn't see was all the glue that dripped on the floor and on the sides. I barely got it scraped off before it started setting up!

Sure glad I put that cardboard down

Going to clean up the keel and other areas that have some glue slobber, then re-apply any encapsulation that needs it.

Also need to install the carriage bolts and wood screws through the keel.

After that, onward to the chines (Carl -trembling in his shoes).
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

alycat

Post by alycat » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:08 pm

Love the pics of all those clamps!! I use the harbor freight clamps as well, great for the price and hold just as well as the expensive ones. The guys are right about it getting stiffer as you add more pieces, I was truly surprised how sturdy everything is after the sheer and Chine's are on, even more so after the battens. Great looking build!! :D :D
Will Manwaring
Shreveport, LA

Barrelback 19' stretched to 20'

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 3171d9bb06

John56

Post by John56 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:34 pm

Looking Good Carl!!!!

+1000 on Harbor Freight for clamps. I bought those welders vice clamps for about $4 each. Bought all of them on the rack!!

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:25 pm

Yes, the Harbor Freight clamps are great. I typically buy $50 dollars worth at a time. Not too expensive and it quickly adds up to the number I will eventually need. as many as it looks like I have in the photos, it is not near enough when I get to the sheer. Probably need to get at least another 30 or 40 clamps. Still, that's fairly inexpensive ay HF. Of course, after the boat is built, may I can open a clamp store and recoup some of the funds!!

So today, I finished cleaning up the glue on the keel and chased the carriage bolt holes I had previously drilled in the stem and knee. Not much since glue up, but still pretty busy outside of the boat.

Fergal's thread on the poly bag steam bending trick looks like the answer to how I am going to manage bending my chines and sheers in the limited space I have available. Thanks Fergal!

I still have to come up with a source of steam but I have several options in mind that I am going to explore.

In case anyone missed it, here is the link to the original video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--iPQIwSEJM
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

sscobra

Post by sscobra » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:34 pm

Carl, I have been steam bending my sheers the last few days and here is what I use for a steam source:

http://www.rockler.com/steam-bending-ki ... n-download

It provides about 2 hours of steam and works very well. I don't know if it will be serious enough for you to use to bend you full thickness chines. I read about steam bending and the usual figure is an hour of steam per inch of thickness. I found that to be inadequate. I use the full 2 hours and so far it has worked for me. However, my sheers are only 5/8" thick (3 pieces form each sheer). I have also heard that steam bending doesn't work that well with kiln dried wood (which is what mine is) because the water content is so low. Air dried wood steam bends much better. You are welcome to try my steamer if you want. Skip
Built the Glen-L Monaco, 2016.

rbrandenstein

Post by rbrandenstein » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:09 am

Carl.
That looks like a great solution for steaming in place.

I had a Wagner steam wall paper remover which I used as a steam source. It worked very well and then you can use it to remove wall paper when your wife decides she wants the walls painted.

http://www.wagnerspraytech.com/portal/9 ... 58970.html

Lowka53

Post by Lowka53 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:20 pm

8) carl form the video he used a propane burner heat a clean old style gas can to produce the steam you could probably convert a large presser cooker to do the same. I use a 2 quart pressure cooker to steam my mash before i send it through my cooling device to produce my hard liqueur. it would be a cheap easy fix to generating steam just don't use the cooling system :lol: :D 8)
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:11 pm

rbrandenstein wrote:Carl.
That looks like a great solution for steaming in place.

I had a Wagner steam wall paper remover which I used as a steam source. It worked very well and then you can use it to remove wall paper when your wife decides she wants the walls painted.

http://www.wagnerspraytech.com/portal/9 ... 58970.html
sscobra wrote:Carl, I have been steam bending my sheers the last few days and here is what I use for a steam source:

http://www.rockler.com/steam-bending-ki ... n-download

It provides about 2 hours of steam and works very well. I don't know if it will be serious enough for you to use to bend you full thickness chines. I read about steam bending and the usual figure is an hour of steam per inch of thickness. I found that to be inadequate. I use the full 2 hours and so far it has worked for me. However, my sheers are only 5/8" thick (3 pieces form each sheer). I have also heard that steam bending doesn't work that well with kiln dried wood (which is what mine is) because the water content is so low. Air dried wood steam bends much better. You are welcome to try my steamer if you want. Skip
Lowka53 wrote:8) carl form the video he used a propane burner heat a clean old style gas can to produce the steam you could probably convert a large presser cooker to do the same. I use a 2 quart pressure cooker to steam my mash before i send it through my cooling device to produce my hard liqueur. it would be a cheap easy fix to generating steam just don't use the cooling system :lol: :D 8)
I also heard about the Shark floor steamer from other builders.

I did a little research on this today and it seems that one issue is trying to maintain the heat in the chamber (be it a steam box or a poly bag). The traditional steam box approach benefits from the insulation factor of the wood making up the box. The recommendation is to preheat the box using the steamer, then resupply the water in the steamer and add the wood to the box.

I think in this situation the Rockler steamer or even the wall paper steamer will work fine as long as you have extra boiling water handy to resupply the reservoir as needed. If the wood is thin, then this isn't such an issue. But my wood is over an inch thick and nearly 3 inches wide, so it will take more steaming to get it soft.

The video of Louis using the poly bag has the advantage of being left in place and no heat loss in transfer to the boat. It also provides me with a means of getting the steaming wrapper around my chine lumber despite the limited space I have. However, because of heat loss through the poly, I believe it will take a more robust steam supply than a floor steamer or wall paper steamer, unless I have more than one on hand or can quick change the water. The video showed Louis using a large gas can and a propane burner which seemed to be plenty of heat for the task.

In light of this, I think the idea of a converted pressure cooker or something similar would be best. But I have no experience with these smaller steam supplies so I cannot say for sure.

Skip, I appreciate the offer to try the rockler. I may have to look into that option first. It will be a bit longer as I have to scarf the chine lumber together first and finish the keel installation. I also have have not cut any of the notches for the chine in the frames.

Thanks everyone for the input. This is why I love this forum so much.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:00 pm

I finished all the remaining small tasks on the keel last week and have started fitting the first chine. This is one of those areas where I am nervous because of the numerous cuts to the frame that are required. So I am going slow as I try to consider all the ramifications of any decisions I make.

I don't really have any pictures yet but will post some when I do.

I have updated my blog with the remaining steps from the keel installation.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:49 pm

Man oh man, nothing says boat like seeing the first real curve of the hull. Today I scarfed the first chine together. It needs to cure for a couple of days before I can begin installing it. But I didn't want to waste the beautiful weather so I took the other chine lumber and continued cutting notches in the frames for the chine. My technique was a bit off in the beginning but I am getting the hang of it.

I am at the point on one side where I will need to steam the chine before attempting to bend it further, But thee is enough of a curve to make me feel good about the progress I made today. I will have to shim up a couple of notches, but I think I know the process well enough now to get the remaining ones right.

Anyway, here is a cool shot (well I think it's cool) showing the chine in process. Taken from the bow.
IMG_20140330_161145.jpg
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:08 pm

Carl

I know :!: I don't think I could ever get tired of that first real look at the boat's shape. It really looks good.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:17 pm

Lookin' Good!!!

Roberta :D :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

sscobra

Post by sscobra » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:08 pm

Looking good Carl! Those ratchet straps are very helpful aren't they. If you are going to be sitting inside the boat on that stool, isn't it upside down? Skip
Built the Glen-L Monaco, 2016.

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:36 am

sscobra wrote:Looking good Carl! Those ratchet straps are very helpful aren't they. If you are going to be sitting inside the boat on that stool, isn't it upside down? Skip
Actually it's not. I plan on rockin' and a rollin' so I need the legs to hang on to! :lol:

Thanks for the compliments everyone.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Return to “Power Boats”