Building The Vera Cruise

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

gdcarpenter

Re: Building The Vera Cruise

Post by gdcarpenter »

For whatever it's worth, on my little ZIP build I scarfed all my hull ply joints, ergo I worked with 16'+ long sheets (they were Joubert Marine ply, metric, and longer than 8'). I noticed no discernable difference in flexing or 'stiffness' at the scarf joint, even when the panels were pre-epoxied while lying flat, and firmly believe that a good scarf joint is every bit as strong as the ply itself. That being said a truly good scarf joint, overlapping almost 2" in 1/4" thickness, is no easy task.

I understand your space constraints, and did many a thing contrary to public opinion on my build, but I see starting at the bow more problematical than starting at the transom. Seems to me that as you go forward and start mating bottom and side hull ply along the chine the fitting is easier progressing from aft forward. The forwardmost ends of both hull and side panels are at their 'narrowest' towards the bow/stem, which in my mind makes it easier to fit the two together.

I decided early on in my build that I would have 'bright sides' and a 'true' waterline (not following the chine line upwards going forward). Those decisions necessitated that there be no transition point where side meets bottom planking and painstakingly butt fitted the entire length of the chine ply junction so there would be no end grain exposed anywhere along the chine line.

Given the quality of your work and the obviously well thought out processes you have have shown to date, you can, and will, make which ever route you go work and work well.
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

Flash

Post by Flash »

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the tar paper idea. Since I'm starting the plywood next week, the timing is perfect.
Flash
Yellow Submarine II - Flying Saucer
Summer Wind - Zip

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Finished the fairing yesterday. I will probably need to do some tweaking once I start fitting the stiffer marine plywood, but otherwise, it's behind me now. Feels good to get past that point in the build. Started repairing minor damage and scratches accumulated over the last several months. Mostly this involves just light sanding of the encapsulation and re-applying another coat in those areas.

I have some dress up tasks I want to accomplish as well before I start planking. This involves adding a nice veneer cap to the chine top and bottom surfaces (and the sheer bottom surface) in the cabin area (visible in the cabin) and rounding over the edges of the sheer and chine in areas that do not contact the skin.

Feels kind of strange to be doing something besides fairing after so many months.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

sscobra

Post by sscobra »

Great accomplishment Carl. I know what a relief you are feeling. It is also a great confidence builder. Skip
Built the Glen-L Monaco, 2016.

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Well done, Carl!!! It is nice to be on to something different. Fairing and sanding are the biggies, but the effort is well worth the results.

Roberta :D :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Thanks Roberta and Skip,

It does feel good to be done with that part of the build.
Carl

Clipper Boating

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Continuing to do touch up work this week. Mostly smoothing out rough finishes and some glue runs from a previous attempt to touch up.
IMG_20141007_181950.jpg
Carl

Clipper Boating

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Touch up continues. Since I am re-encapsulating, it slows me down more while I wait for the epoxy to cure. In about 6 days I will be heading down to Port Aransas for the first ply wooden boat show. Looking forward to that.

Here is frame 5 after clean up.
Here is frame 5 after clean up.
Carl

Clipper Boating

jenko

Post by jenko »

Carl your attention to detail amazes me although I did notice some resin spots on your floor :lol:

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

jenko wrote:Carl your attention to detail amazes me although I did notice some resin spots on your floor :lol:
Ah yes, but you see I covered the floor with cardboard. It's the small things that matter!

:lol: :lol:

Thanks for the compliment.
Carl

Clipper Boating

Craig Aho

Post by Craig Aho »

I agree with others and am amazed at your workmanship. I bet once you are at the same point I am your boat will look fabulous.

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Thanks Craig, I get my inspiration from all of you guys and gals. I think most will agree that being able to show off the work is one of the better parts of the building process.

Today I finished repairing and re-encapsulating the frames. I still have a few more minor holes to fill and I want to round over the chine and sheer inner edges between frames 5 and 6.

I am also planning on going to the Port Aransas Ply wooden Boat Festival this weekend. I am really looking forward to that.

Here is another update picture. This is frame 6 and re-encapsulating.
IMG_20141015_201412.jpg
Carl

Clipper Boating

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

I spent the weekend in Port Aransas, Texas at the plyWooden Boat Festival. There were so many fine examples of wooden boats. I enjoyed myself immensely and look forward to visiting there again in the future.

Here are a few teaser shots. My blog has more information and there is a link there to my photo gallery with all the pictures I took.
IMG_20141017_113439.jpg
IMG_20141017_141918.jpg
IMG_20141017_144656.jpg
Carl

Clipper Boating

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Cool!!! Thanks for sharing, Carl!!

Roberta :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

sscobra

Post by sscobra »

Thanks for sharing the photos, Carl. I at first couldn't decide which show to go to, but in the end decided to do the one closet to my home. Nice photos. Skip
Built the Glen-L Monaco, 2016.

Return to “Power Boats”