Building The Vera Cruise

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

mrintense

Re: Building The Vera Cruise

Post by mrintense »

I'm glad everyone gets a chance to see them. For me the highlight of the event was getting to talk to and know some of the builders at Farley Boat Works. really cool stuff going on down there. Makes me wish I lived closer to the coast.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

vupilot

Post by vupilot »

Thanks for sharing your pictures. Glad you had a nice time. Looks very well attended.

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

I got an email from he organizer of the event. There were 92 boats in attendance! They were successful enough that they plan on repeating the event next year. Yay!
Carl

Clipper Boating

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk »

Thanks again Carl for the feedback on the Show. Yes, the organizers were quite happy with the turnout, so that's wonderful to hear!

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

I've been encapsulating the inner surfaces of the sheers and chines this week. Slow going because of waiting for epoxy to cure and not having a lot of free time because of other commitments. But I figure these will be easier to do now then later after the skin is applied. It will also make it easier to wipe up glue runs when the skin is glued down.

In other news, I've placed quote requests out to four different suppliers for my plywood. Two have responded back. I am waiting for the others which I don't expect to hear from until Monday at the earliest. I am going to order 12 sheets of 9mm Okoume plywood which I've been saving for since January. Expensive stuff!!

Nothing really photogenic so pics will come later.
Carl

Clipper Boating

sscobra

Post by sscobra »

Carl, have you tried Fine Lumber and Plywood. That is where I got all my plywood. They had it in stock or could get it in a week. When I got the last batch, they told me they weren't going to restock the 4 mm that I used, but can still order it. I don't know if they carry the 9mm thickness. I know they used to carry 3/8" aquatek marine ply. Skip
Built the Glen-L Monaco, 2016.

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

sscobra wrote:Carl, have you tried Fine Lumber and Plywood. That is where I got all my plywood. They had it in stock or could get it in a week. When I got the last batch, they told me they weren't going to restock the 4 mm that I used, but can still order it. I don't know if they carry the 9mm thickness. I know they used to carry 3/8" aquatek marine ply. Skip
Hi Skip,

Yes, I tried them as well. They don't normally carry Joubert plywood and it has to be special ordered. Every time I have inquired about this with them, the price was higher than I could get elsewhere, even with shipping. I have used them for some of my mahogany. They are nice people to deal with and definitely convenient. When I buy the planking for the transom veneer, I will probably be going through them.

As for the Aquatek, I haven't heard much about that brand. I have a sheet of Hydrotek (which they also offer) and it is much heavier than the Okoume I bout earlier.
Carl

Clipper Boating

steveh41

Post by steveh41 »

Hi Carl,

Aquatek is marine ply conforming to BS6566 (http://www.glen-l.com/weblettr/weblette ... ywood.html )
versus Hydrotek which is BS1088. There is a difference in price and slightly lower quality of the face veneers; sometimes fewer plies for a given thickness.

Really enjoyed your pics from the boat show!

Regards,

Steve
The longest journey begins with a single step… then repeat as necessary!

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Well, I've been continuing with encapsulating the interior frame work and completed that today. All is ready for the planking to start fitting. Just waiting on that now. I ordered the plywood last week and it is supposed to be here Thursday. I am really looking forward to getting some skin on the boat. Like many of the past milestones, this will be another of those "making it real" tasks.

One thing I am trying to decide is whether to spring for those expensive epoxy in a tube sets. They look like they make applying thickened epoxy to the frames a snap. But they only contain 6.5 ounces each and at 20 dollars a pop, pretty darn expensive. Has anybody ever tried those refillable caulking tubes with thickened epoxy. That seems like the ticket. My main concern with that approach is that getting the epoxy into the tubes shortens the remaining time you have to work with it. It's getting cooler now so maybe this won't be as much of a problem. I know that I were doing that in the summer here, it would be setting up before I could even get it in the tube. And yes, I have been mixing it correctly, but the hot summers here considerable shorten the pot life on the epoxy.

Anyway, As soon as I have some pictures I'll post some progress shots.
Carl

Clipper Boating

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Carl

The tubes are great...$$$$. Making your own with regular epoxy and thickeners doesn't take that long. Just use slow hardener. The tubes are fine when you really need to work fast and neat. I don't use it often.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

I really like the u-Tah cartridges for large jobs like a lot of battens and parts where you need a lot of small dabs. I think the accuracy and neatness makes up for the cost. Not worth it for once in a while applications, though. I have not tried mixing and then putting epoxy in the empty tubes. That look's too messy for me.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

The "store" cartridges mix in the nozzle. You can remove the nozzle and recap the tube. Just get a new mixing tip.

If you mix your own and put it in a cartridge, that much mixed epoxy is really going to get HOT.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

I also used the cartridges for long applications like laminating the chines and shears. Like Bill said, The tip comes off and you can store the unused portion of the cartridge. Can't do that will self mixed and put in the empty cartridges. I can imagine that they really could get screaming hot. On the Torpedo, I have used a lot of the u-Tah cartridges. It helps to pre-plan and have a lot of items ready to be installed so you can apply the epoxy, assemble, and move on to the next thing. As long as you don't let the cartridge set too long, you can keep moving with the same tip because the mixed portion will not be in the tip very long. I have used one tip in a session lasting way more than two hours, but being mindful about the time.

Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

I'm thinking that as long as I don't over fill the empty cartridges, I can use what's in there and then let it set up. Since the cartridges are plastic, the cured epoxy may pop out with a little persuasion. I will probably have to replace the tips, but that's no big deal. By limiting the amount of resin in the tubes, I can use it up before it gets too hot.

Mainly what I am after is an easier way to apply quantities of thickened epoxy along the frame, chine, and sheer edges . I've been getting along with using tongue depressors for nearly every epoxy application so far (except the transom where I used a plastic squeegee). But tongue depressors are too slow for the amount of area I have to cover. The tubes will be a better option.
Carl

Clipper Boating

Mannanj

Post by Mannanj »

Roberta wrote:I really like the u-Tah cartridges for large jobs like a lot of battens and parts where you need a lot of small dabs.

Roberta:

Where do you get the u-Tah dispensers and what model u-Tah do you use? Do they make 5:1 mixing for the West System epoxy? If not what epoxy are you using?

Mannan
Msgt. Mannan Thomason USAF (Ret)
Bucket List Check Off In Progress
Starting Barrelback

Return to “Power Boats”