Building The Vera Cruise

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Roberta

Re: Building The Vera Cruise

Post by Roberta »

It look's really nice, Carl, but what's with that cardboard on the floor?? Don't you want a glue ghost to remain of the boat??

Roberta :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Looking good. I like the looks of that Okoume ply. I think I will go with that myself.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

hoodman wrote:Looking good. I like the looks of that Okoume ply. I think I will go with that myself.
Roberta wrote:It look's really nice, Carl, but what's with that cardboard on the floor?? Don't you want a glue ghost to remain of the boat?? Roberta :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
neel thompson wrote:She really looks great Carl. I can tell by looking at the last picture that there is a lot of "engineer" in you. It almost appears that you measured the distance between spacers and between clamps. I did notice that some of the spacers are cocked about 30 degrees or so. Please work hard on keeping them straight when you put the next panel on... Thanks and best of luck with the plywood,,,,Neel
Bill Edmundson wrote:Carl This is where it starts to "feel" like you're building a boat! There is still a long way to go. But, you start seeing a BOAT! Congrats! Bill
First off, thanks everyone. This is one of those things I really like about this forum, being able to share what we do with others.

Matt, I too really like the Okoume's finish. In my case, most of this will be painted over, but the material is lighter as well so to me it was worth the extra cost.

Roberta, Well I know that the ghost is a badge of honor amongst us builders, but I have to sell the house in a few years and I doubt I will find another builder(who can appreciate the ghost) to buy the house :D :D

Neel, I did measure the clamp distances (with Calipers ) :oops: No just kidding. I will try harder to get the plywood squares aligned to true north next time. :D :D

Bill, yes it does feel more real now. Covering a boat in this way does seem like it can gain a lot og productivity ground in a hurry. We'll see when I get to the more difficult areas up front. :D :D
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

ctboater

Post by ctboater »

Bill Edmundson wrote:garrech

I think I remember that thread.

Mike, ctboater, do you know where it is?
Bill
Hey Bill,
I think this is what was being referenced.

From Iggy:
Iggy wrote: If you don't have a syringe.. a zip-lock bag cut narrowly on one corner like they do for icing a cake can work, it just comes out really fast and not as easy to control as the syringe.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13361&p=103660&hili ... g+#p103660

Sounds like the ziplock bag idea will work well, just with less control than you would see out of a caulking tube.
But like with anything you would probably come up with a good technique with a bit of practice.
Definitely a trick I will keep in mind.

Mike

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Mike

I knew if anyone could find it, it would be you.

Thanks,
Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Been too cold here this week to do any more epoxy work. Just shuffling my feet and waiting. I think I am going to buy a space heater as soon a I can. I don't really want to spend the next four months waiting on warm days.
Carl

Clipper Boating

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

I just bought a tank top propane heater to use while I'm in the shop and I have an electric radiator with a digital thermostat to keep the shop to a reasonable temp to help epoxy cure. The shop is still uninsulated though so I may have a hard time if its even colder than it is now. The epoxy I'm using needs to stay above 50 to cure so I'm basically in the same shoes you are with waiting for nice days to cure. I think I will bring the chines in the basement to glue up the scarf joints.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

I have often put a small heater under the hull at night before glassing. It might not be efficient in heating the work area. But, at least the wood is not as cold.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Ranny

Post by Ranny »

These are really good ideas about insulation. I think, before my build, I will insulate my garage and maybe even add a duct from my main house HVAC.
Ranny

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Haven't been able to respond or even read anything for quite a number of days. Dealing with a family emergency. For the remaining week the boat is on hold. Not sure how warm it is in Austin at the moment but it is pretty darn cold up here in Alaska.. Did get a chance to see Bill's Bartender pics. Looks great Bill. She is already a looker. Can't wait to see her with paint.

Internet access is limited for me so I will be intermittent in browsing through forum. Talk more later.
Carl

Clipper Boating

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Well I got back from my trip to Alaska but continued to have other circumstances preventing me from doing more work on my Vera Cruise. However, things have finally settled down and I should be able to re-start skinning this holiday weekend assuming it's warm enough. At the very least I should get the panel fitted and ready to glue up when the temps are warm enough. Form the looks of it though, I believe this weekend should be fairly nice.

It was difficult for me to get Internet access while away so I wasn't able to participate in the forum like I wanted. However I can see that everyone has been quite busy. I am definitely inspired to get back to work. As soon as I have something to post I will provide an update.
Carl

Clipper Boating

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Had some time after work today to get the starboard aft panel sanded down. I had previously replaced the steel screws with silicon bronze screws this last Sunday. I also started pre-fitting the port aft panel. I want to try and glue that up this holiday since the weather is going to be a bit warmer. Feels good to get back to work on her.
IMG_20141126_164102.jpg
IMG_20141126_164112.jpg
Carl

Clipper Boating

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Carl

Glad to see you back at it. Looking forward to more.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

sscobra

Post by sscobra »

Sorry to hear about your family emergency. It is really starting to look like a boat. Great work Carl. Skip
Built the Glen-L Monaco, 2016.

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Thanks Skip and Bill.

I'm making great progress (for me) on the second panel today. It's basically ready to glue up. Probably tomorrow as I have to participate in stuffing myself first.
Carl

Clipper Boating

Return to “Power Boats”