Building The Vera Cruise

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

belphil

Re: Building The Vera Cruise

Post by belphil »

Hi Carl
Im impressed very good progress in only few weeks. Do you record also tme you spent? I like also to read your blog with great description of work in progress.
Do you mind if I save your photos?
Will you add temporary cross members between top of frames 1,2,3 and 4? look so fragile and wondering if there is not a risk to brake the frame sides when adding sheers.
When you finish your blog should be part of Glen-L building plan.
Look forward for next step.
Well done.
Happy sailing

JB
Belphil
UK - Philippines

mrintense

Building The Vera Cruise

Post by mrintense »

belphil wrote:Do you record also tme you spent? I like also to read your blog with great description of work in progress.
Do you mind if I save your photos? Will you add temporary cross members between top of frames 1,2,3 and 4? look so fragile and wondering if there is
not a risk to brake the frame sides when adding sheers. When you finish your blog should be part of Glen-L building plan.
I'm glad you're enjoying my blog. It gives me an extra incentive to get work done.

Yes I am recording my hours. I figure I can use that to estimate the value when I go to get insurance for the boat.

Feel free to use my photos as reference.

I plan on adding a temporary cross member when I mount the frames on the form. Just haven't gotten to that part yet.

The documentation on this boat does appear to be a bit scarce. I think most people prefer building the runabouts so you see lots of good useful information on Zips, Monacos, Rivieras, etc.

I'm evaluating the engine installation now. I've determined that the Mercruiser 3.0 with Alpha 1 sterndrive will come in under the weight limit of 700 lbs. I'm trying to figure out how high it's going to sit and how much room in the aft end of the boat it is going to take up. I still may go with the outboard simply to gain some more space.

Only problem with the outboard is that it will probably cost more than the Merc 3.0, but that's only a guess at this point.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

Lowka53

Post by Lowka53 »

8) here is link to alpha installation http://www.mercurymarine.com/repower/me ... &product=8 hoppe it helps you out :wink:
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Lowka53 wrote: here is link to alpha installation http://www.mercurymarine.com/repower/me ... &product=8 hoppe it helps you out
Thanks Rod, I've been using these as part of my evaluation. Very useful stuff.

Basically I need to get some overall dimensions for the aft end of the boat and do some comparisons with the engine's dimensions. It's all there in the plans and on the Merc documents, just need to decipher it and put it into something I can understand. :lol:
Carl

Clipper Boating

Lowka53

Post by Lowka53 »

8) what part you not understanding the thickness or degree of the angle of the transom or the with of the stringers or something else :?: further looking you are looking for the height of the mounting of the motor what motor straight six or 6v or small v8 each motor would make a difference. then again I might be asking wrong questions :lol: :roll: :wink:
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
14' Mr John-being built

Rod H

mrintense

Building The Vera Cruise

Post by mrintense »

Hi Rod,

I appreciate your questions and responses. Actually it's not so much not understanding as having the time to look over the plans and put the various dimensions together in my head in a way that makes sense.

But to put it in more detail. I want to determine how much room the engine box will take up in the aft section of the boat. I also want to determine if I can use it for seating (doesn't appear to be usable for that). Finally, I.m not sure if the motor strings must sit on top of the frames, but I haven't had time to figure that out yet. If they do, then the motor will sit quite high in the boat.

Again, I haven't had time to study the plans much this week. Mostly doing this from memory at the moment.

One possibility I am going to look at is whether the motor stringers can be pieced between the frames (connecting to the frames as well) to create a sort of box structure. This would allow me to keep the engine lower in the boat and I wouldn't have to have the sole of the boat as high to cover the stringers.

Almost forgot, the engine is going to be a 4 cylinder Mercruiser 3.0L (unless I decide to go with an outboard)

Mounting would be something like this:
frames_and_stringers.jpg
Carl

Clipper Boating

Lowka53

Post by Lowka53 »

8) ok next question would be is it a front mount of side mount.that would make a difference in the mounting and how the stringers are ran. most use stringers running from stern to about the cb point it give the build more strength. also do you have the book from glen-l called inboard motor installation it is mostly for inboard but it does cover some i/o units
14' Mr John-being built

Rod H

mrintense

Building The Vera Cruise

Post by mrintense »

As far as side or front mount, that depends upon the year and model (I believe) and I haven't gotten to that point yet. But if it is front mount, I will probably mount a crossbar between the stringers anyway. My intent is to space the stringers some standard measurement apart (I think it's 24 inches) and then mount the motor to the transom and the front mounts (whichever they end up being).

I do have the Inboard motor Installation book and I will be referencing this as well. My biggest concern is whether I can mount the stringers in pieces between the frames or do they have to be continuous from transom to the cabin.

It seems to me if they have to be continuous (unbroken), then they either have to be mounted above the frame lower piece or the frame lower piece has to be broken on each side of the stringer. A third option is that there is a hole or slot cut into the frame for each of the stringers to pass through. This is the part I am unsure about.

The remaining issues of how much room the engine takes up and how high it sits are less critical to me. I mainly want to insure that the overall strength of the boat is still there with the stringers installed. As far as I can tell, these stringers are not used for the outboard version.
Carl

Clipper Boating

Lowka53

Post by Lowka53 »

8) they are usually mount on top of the frames but if you use mounts like in boat building with plywood book page 217 figure 22b example b or c you can adjust your height of the motor and are preferred mounting the engine to the stringers. :wink:the spacing between on your stringers will depend on your motor measurements. any time you cut the wood it weakens it it would be better to do continuous run with the stringers. It will make the boat stiffer and stronger and distribute the weight better. 8) You are correct stringers are not used in out boards no need for them. But they are braced in other ways Ie knee braces and motor wells framing are used to distribute the weight of the motor :wink:
14' Mr John-being built

Rod H

belphil

Post by belphil »

Hi Carl,
I did also some study and draw the enclosed drawing. I do not have the exact measure but it may help.

I will go for outboard as easier to install and if fund not availabe can start with 40hp and upgrade at later stage. Minimum requirement is 35hp. Can build motorwell using lager engine so no problem to swap.

When building the transom the only issue is maybe the angle which may vary otherwise you can build for now the transom as for an I/O which can be cut later if outboard is your choice, adding either stringers for I/O or knee for outboard.
Attachments
Vera Stern Drive plan 2.PNG
Frame Transom 2.PNG
Happy sailing

JB
Belphil
UK - Philippines

Mr Hot Rod

Post by Mr Hot Rod »

If not detailed in your plans, the motor stringers should extend from the transom to the cabin and may be notched to receive the frames.

Interesting to note that I/O's can be used in lieu of outboard motors in most outboard designs ...
To see how the stringers are notched and set up, see Page 121 of Glen's book Boatbuilding with Plywood. Clck here for our stringer photos.

Hope this helps !

Building the Glen-L Hot Rod : http://www.kanecustomboats.com

Glen-L Boat Video Directory : http://www.kanecustomboats.com/pages/vi ... ctory.html

mrintense

Building The Vera Cruise

Post by mrintense »

Hi Paul,

I have this drawing and but hadn't looked at it in weeks. I appreciate you bringing it back to my attention. It clearly states what to do about the frames and stringers. Problem solved.
From the looks of it I would guess that the aft deck is going to be approximately 3" higher than the cabin sole. This is okay.

The drawing gives the impression that there is quite a bit of room forward of the engine, but I want to check this measurement closer because I do not believe the Vera's aft deck is very big. I can use the plans and the Mercruiser engine documents to make that determination. I also think the engine will sit taller and won't be low enough to use as a seat. But that is okay as well because there will be room on both sides and I can put cup (bottle?) holders in the engine box :wink: A man has to have his priorities in order!!

I already know there is a slight angle difference between the out drive and the plans but I don't think that will be a problem.

This is working out okay because I had hoped to use a I/O on this boat, but was initially worried because I had some erroneous information about engine weight for the 3.0L Merc. But everything is falling into place now, so I am pretty sure this is the way I am going to go for this boat.

Thanks Rod, JB, and Paul for your input on this.
Carl

Clipper Boating

TUGMYWAY

Post by TUGMYWAY »

I have never seen a MC 4 cylinder side mount. Could you post a photo of it?
Randy

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

TUGMYWAY wrote:I have never seen a MC 4 cylinder side mount. Could you post a photo of it?
Hi Randy,

I don't have a photo of a Merc with side mount however, one of the documents shows this arrangement. One of the earlier postings in this thread has that drawing as an attachment.
Carl

Clipper Boating

mrintense

Building The Vera Cruise

Post by mrintense »

Here's an update. I've started working on the gussets and fitting the frames together. Not a lot of progress but satisying nonetheless. I'll be doing this process for the next week or so. No real rush because it will be after the end of the year before I can buy more lumber. I figure I have several weeks worth of work with frame building (especially at the pace I'm building at)

Here's a few photos.
Frame_5_Initial_Assembly.jpg
PaperTemplatesFor Gussets.jpg
Carl

Clipper Boating

Return to “Power Boats”