Open bow Riviera

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

dstevens

Open bow Riviera

Post by dstevens » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:05 am

Has anyone seen any comments or suggestions on an open bow Riviera? I am in the process of checking plans and material lists to start a winter project. I love the looks of the Midnight Cry and would like to try to build a bowrider version.

Tim Major

Re: Open bow Riviera

Post by Tim Major » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:47 am

Would that not simply kill the classic look of this boat ? :?

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:14 pm

I reckon you could open the bow. But there simply is not very much room. It is quite deceiving. You would have to angle brace the sheer down to the engine stringers inside the consoles.

Another thought would be to look at the Monaco. They are the same frame structure of the Riviera but only one seat in the cockpit. This means there is more bow area up front. The Monaco has a utility verson which opens the boat up to allow walk around the engine.

And finally consider the weight from occupants up front. These boats are light. Weight up front will affect handling for it will hold the bow down.

Just some thoughts. But I had them as well when building Midnight Cry
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

dstevens

Post by dstevens » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:09 pm

Thanks Dave, I will look at the plans closer. By the way my wife thinks your boat is most beautiful,( that is the superlative and you can not get any better than that), I have to agree with her.

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:44 pm

I have a real close friend, Jack Downing, that just sold his place in Bangor and moving to FL permanently. Do you know him?
Dave

Glen-L Sea Kayak

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

dstevens

Post by dstevens » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:09 pm

I do not know Jack, part of the reason my wife loves your boat is that we are Christians and loves the way you decided on her name. I have been a Building Construction teacher at the Technical High School in Bangor for 32 years so my retirement project is going to be the Riviera. My Dad had a Chris Craft when I was a boy.

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:52 pm

dstevens wrote:I do not know Jack, part of the reason my wife loves your boat is that we are Christians and loves the way you decided on her name. I have been a Building Construction teacher at the Technical High School in Bangor for 32 years so my retirement project is going to be the Riviera. My Dad had a Chris Craft when I was a boy.

COOL. I cannot tell you how many people I have had to the chance to share Christ with over that name. Part of my motivation for the name. On the otherhand, I am bewildered by the folks that ask me what the numbers are for? :shock: I reckon I live in too much of a sheltered world at times.
Dave

Glen-L Sea Kayak

Return to “Power Boats”