My 115HP Inline 6, 1982 model having bogging problems with.

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Jimmy70

My 115HP Inline 6, 1982 model having bogging problems with.

Post by Jimmy70 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:15 pm

The compression on each of the cylinders is 150psi each.
New Plugs
Went thru the carbs 3 time already
checked the fuel pump
Bought a spark plug checker and each one is firing okay.
The engine idles fine but when I try to floor it starts bogging like running out of gas.
Adjusted the carb needles in and out several times
I swapped tanks and filtered the gas to see if there was any junk clogging the intake.
Checked all of the hoses for collapsing but seen none.
Replaced the fuel line from the tank to the engine with a new hose and bulb.

So right now I am out of ideas to try on the engine. It will only tack out at 2300rpm and it should easily hit 6000rpm.

I took it to a marine shop and they could not find anything wrong with it either. The guy told me it was wore out..then I asked him how come the compression was 150psi per cylinder...don't make no sense to me.
So anyone of you old mechanics know anything about these tower of power units and got a suggestion let me know please as I wanted to get my boat to the boat show this summer with the gang.
Dreams are free, Reality cost money.

TUGMYWAY

Re: My 115HP Inline 6, 1982 model having bogging problems wi

Post by TUGMYWAY » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:47 pm

I would try to reset the low speed valve. I would start with 1 3/8 out from light seat. Sometime as low as 1 1/4 and as high as 1 5/8. If you set it up for the best idle and then hit the gas???? BIG bugggga! Some time a full shut down.

Timing. I would not go higher than 21 deg. at WOT. Pistons start to get to hot! Then Alum. on the plugs? hole in piston? piston side burined out the side?

Use the manual for timing setup.

If you have good boat bumpers,tie it off to a dock.Then play with low speed to higher speed/load. Try to find the best balance of low and high carb setting.
Good luck! Randy

P.S. as the 115/inline 6 starts to get older(REEDS). She will need more fuel. Helps to sealer her up.

TUGMYWAY

Post by TUGMYWAY » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:59 pm

Reread your post and?
In doing the dock test,make sure it is getting WOT timing and carbs are full open.
2500 rpm? maybe high speed side of the switch box? Dealer should be able to test that!
Another dum test is,get her to the 2500rpm and hit the chock. Speeds up= fuel, slows down = not fuel.
Randy

Jimmy70

Post by Jimmy70 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:32 am

I got rid of the switch box along time ago and replaced it with the newer version. The stator was also replaced along with all new wiring. I will have to check the timing once again but can not see any reason for it to be off either as it was dead on before. Now I will check to see if the carbs are opening when advancing the throttle lever with the distrubator movement. My problem is having to travel 28 miles to get to water. I have a horse tank that I could put the prop in but it throws the water out like crazy. I need to make a plywood top and clamp it down on the tank to keep the water in it when the prop is in motion. I did read a article somewhere that the stator could lose one side of output so will have to pull the wires and check to see if that happened with a ohm meter, 5600 ohms so the guy said.

thanks for the input so far.
Jimmy

TUGMYWAY

Post by TUGMYWAY » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:18 am

You called it a 1982. This year motor would not have had a distributor. Stator,trigger,2x switchboxes .Yes.

Bob Maskel

Post by Bob Maskel » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:56 am

I had an older 90 merc that did similar things...turned out the diaphragms on the fuel pumps were failing once the rpms got higher, when the rpms got down again the diaphragm could keep up....replaced them and it was off to the races...good luck!!
Bob
Sea Knight on the water/Malahini in progress

Jimmy70

Post by Jimmy70 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:10 pm

Okay my BAD, it is a 1977 unit. The 40hp Mercury was a 82.

Anyway with Oyster and his Mercury mechanic who knows the engines says it is either the Stator or The Switch box.

I checked the stator and it ohmed out at 5000 so that fell in the specs range. I put my horse tank under the engine and filled it full so I could run the engine under load. I made a top of 3/4 ply to hold the water in but still did not do to good of a job even when it was clamped down, Man those props throw some water, whew. I took the prop off and filled the tank back up and ran the engine with out the prop and it only would tack out at 3200 like it did before. So I changed the Switch Box out and away it went. I only ran it up to 4500 real quick and then shut down. I put the prop back on and went to the river.

Boy that boat will fly I think I was doing 50 mph in the first 100' of the run. I only got it up to 55mph twice and it ran smooth
but at that speed it seemed to want to walk a little on the runners, I don't think I got the motor quite trimmed out to max running as of yet. So will need to tinker with it.

Now I am going back to the shop that had it for 3 weeks and tell the Mechanic he don't know what he is doing....he told me it was worn out. Yeah right...

Jimmy

Bob Maskel

Post by Bob Maskel » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:01 pm

Jimmy70 wrote: Boy that boat will fly I think I was doing 50 mph in the first 100' of the run. I only got it up to 55mph twice
Jimmy
Man, Jimmy, my hat's off to you!!!!

I think you can run circles around me, on the water and off!!

Looking forward to seeing you in a few weeks!!!!
Bob
Sea Knight on the water/Malahini in progress

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:06 pm

Thats great that you got it worked out. Hope to see you in a few weeks!

TUGMYWAY

Post by TUGMYWAY » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:15 pm

Well done Jimmy. ( Don't know where the Hell done came from!) my bad!!

Their a lot of parts changers that call themselves mechanic!!
Last edited by TUGMYWAY on Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ttownshaw

Post by ttownshaw » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:19 pm

Now, when are you going to add that nitros system Jimmy?
Bill

I told my wife we needed a three-car garage for my projects...she told me to ask her for permission next time before I buy a house.
http://www.unitybuild.net

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:29 pm

Jimmy

Glad you found the problem. Hope to see you in a few weeks!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Jimmy70

Post by Jimmy70 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:26 am

Thank you one and all for the support. God only knows I needed it after thinking about the problem for a few months and every time I wanted to work on the engine it would rain. I just kept putting it off and off and off until I got to thinking about making a trip out to see all of you guys once again.

I am looking forward to getting there and I really hope that I feel good when it is time to pack up and leave. I have been feeling pretty good most of the time but I have my bad days also. I can tell you one thing this old 76 year old body still aches from bending and twisting and sitting on my knees while driving the boat. Guess the old brain still thinks like a 21 year old but the rest of it wants to scream DON'T DO THAT YOU FOOL. Seems my old arms and legs love to cramp up easy and then stay sore of 2-3 days afterwards.

It sure felt nice to see the boat jump and take off like a scared rabbit with a hound after it.

Does anyone know if there are any land cabins open for 2 days??? Or can anyone recall the name of the motel out on 24 were you turn off to the lake?? If you can let me know.
Jimmy

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:29 am

Glad to here you got it running well. Hope to see you at G6. There appears to be some floating cabins left at HB. I'm sure they have land cabins, too, if you prefer that. Give them a call.

Roberta :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Jimmy70

Post by Jimmy70 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:34 am

I called this morning and they had #5 open so grabbed it. I have a buddy coming with me who is a good guitar picker so I am sure he will have a great time. I wish I could spend Sunday there but can't stay off the damn machine that long.
Getting the boat ship shape right now and cleaning more leaves out of the damn thing that blew up into the bow area.

It will be good to see all of you once again and have a cold one with all of you.
Jimmy

Return to “Power Boats”