modified malahini

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

DrBryanJ

Re: modified malahini

Postby DrBryanJ » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:37 am

Matt B: I was looking at the photos of your bottom paint and boot stripe. She does seem to ride a little low in the stern. I will be using a 90 hp Evinrude as well on my boat. Where are your fuel tank and battery?
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

Hercdrvr

Postby Hercdrvr » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:36 pm

15 gallon fuel tank aft. Battery is forward under the bow. The E-tec 90 weighs in at about 320lbs. My yamaha 90hp is 260.

I’m going to repaint the waterline this winter, maybe I’ll get it right this time.

Good luck
Matt B

DrBryanJ

Postby DrBryanJ » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:49 pm

I'm planning 19 gallon tank in bow and two batteries under rear seat. Just dont know what vee bottom will do?
Bryan

DrBryanJ

Postby DrBryanJ » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:47 am

So, I said I was going to do initial sand out of epoxy over fiberglass with 80 grit paper on a longboard. Well, it was taking a long time to do a little section. I switched to 60 grit. Much easier. Did first pass in about an hour on one side. Found some low areas. I think I'm going to get out the fairing compound to fill those spots before I continue to sand.
Bryan

JimmY

Postby JimmY » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:58 am

Hi Bryan,

I encourage you to get it as fair as possible. Once you start painting, you're pretty much stuck with what you have. Hopefully, your boat will spend much more time on the water than in your shop, so take a little more time now to get it right.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

DrBryanJ

malahini spray rails

Postby DrBryanJ » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:50 am

In the instructions it says spray rails are made from 1" X 1 1/4" oak or mahogany. Are these dimensions nominal or actual? Also what orientation arethe dimensions? Does it project 1 1/4" from the side or is the 1 1/4" side flat against the side of the boat?
Bryan

DrBryanJ

tape for painting

Postby DrBryanJ » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:19 am

I'm getting close to painting. What tape did anyone use? How do you keep the paint from bleeding under the tape?
Bryan

PeterG

Postby PeterG » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:29 pm

Bryan, the spray rails (installed bow to stern at the lower edge of the sides) should be 3/4" thick x 1" high. Are you talking about the bumper rails instead? Those are installed on the sides above the waterline, and are the same dimensions you gave. I am not completely sure but it looks they are installed with the 1" edge of the bumper rail to the hull and they stick out 1-1/4". See the side view on sheet 2 of your plans.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

sscobra

Postby sscobra » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:19 pm

Bryan, you want to use a vinyl tape, like 3M Scotch 471. It comes in several widths. I used it where I wanted the bottom paint to end on the sides and also to put the boot stripe on. It is expensive, but works very well. You use it to form a sharp edge for the paint. After putting it in place, cover the rest of the area with regular blue painters tape, which is cheap. The paint will not seep under the tape edge if you press it down very well. It is stretchy so it will go around curves or over edges. You don't want to leave it on if you put on multiple coats over multiple days. It is best to put the paint on, let it tack up a little, then pull the tape by pulling it over itself with a very small angle between what is on the boat and what you are pulling off, if that makes sense. In other words, don't pull it straight off the boat at a 90 degree angle, pull it back over itself with an angle less than than 20 degrees or so. This will leave a very nice edge in the paint. If you wait too long to pull the tape there is a chance you will pull some paint off too and ruin the nice sharp edge. After the paint fully cures, re-tape and put another coat on. I bought mine from Jamestown Distributors, but you should be able to find it at any auto paint supply center, maybe even Pep Boys. Skip
Built the Glen-L Monaco, 2016.

DrBryanJ

Postby DrBryanJ » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:26 am

Thanks for the replies: PeterG, It is definitely the spray rails I am concerned about. With the dimensions you gave me it must be nominal dimensions in the instructions. I reread them last night and it does say all dimensions are nominal. Sscobra, I bought 3M Scotch 233+ from an auto parts store yesterday. I went to an auto body shop and asked him what he used and he told me where I can get it. I will look for 471.
Bryan

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:30 am

I use 3M scotch edge lock blue tape. Love that stuff. Big box store or paint store usually stock it. Make sure it says edge lock on the tape itself its totally different from similar looking blue tape. https://www.supplyhog.com/c/paint-paint ... sking-tape

DrBryanJ

Postby DrBryanJ » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:49 pm

IMG_0169[1].JPG

IMG_0170[1].JPG

I finally finished applying epoxy coats and sanding. Everything sanded to 150 grit.

Next up: spray rails and lift strakes. I need to find someone in my area with the tools to help me cut the lift strakes. A local millwork company said they would try but not confident in their results.
Bryan

neel thompson

Postby neel thompson » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:28 am

Bryan.....What do the lift strakes/spray rails look like? Maybe I could help somehow.

DrBryanJ

Postby DrBryanJ » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:58 am

Spray rails are easy to cut. They are 1" wide cut from 4/4 stock. I can do that with my circular saw. The lift strake's cross section is a right triangle 1" high and 3 inches wide with an 18° angle. They are 14' and 16' long.
lift strake.png
lift strake.png (5.49 KiB) Viewed 1753 times

I haven't decided if they will be white oak or sapele. leaning towards sapele, but will see what lumber yard has.
Bryan

neel thompson

Postby neel thompson » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:32 am

Bryan.... Take a look at Billy C's post last night on restoring hiss Belle Isle. He is making spray rails similar to the shape of your strakes with a jig and thickness planer. I think they could also be cut easily on a table saw by a cabinet shop for a slight fee. I do have a nice thickness planer if you would like to make the trip over. It would save time if you make the jig ahead of time. Send a PM if you would like my help.... Neel

Return to “Power Boats”