modified malahini

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

hoodman

Re: modified malahini

Post by hoodman » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:37 pm

Go with what you got. 3/8 will work great for the deck.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:41 pm

Bryan,
3/8” ply will be fine on the bow.
Matt B

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:36 am

Thanks everyone. Will use the 3/8
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:54 am

My deck is also 3/8"
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Carl's Vera Cruise Build

CarlM

Post by CarlM » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:28 pm

DrBryanJ wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:59 pm
Sands35, here is what I am doing. There may be an easier way, but this works for me.

1) I placed the board to be fit behind the board below it before epoxying the lower board so I can mark where the joint will be.
2) I cut as close to my mark as I dare with my jigsaw.
3) I attach the board to the hull with enough space for my router fence to fit. I don't have the correct clamps, so I use either double sided tape or as in
this picture I stapled it on.IMG_0011.JPG
4) I made a little sanding stick the thickness of my router fence with 80 grit paper and spray on glue. I run this in the joint to make sure the router
will fit through the grove.IMG_0013.JPG
5) I slowly route the joint. The depth is set so I do not cut into the underlying plywood.IMG_0014.JPG
6) I have a small lip remaining on the board which I remove with a file.
7) Next I'll use my clear paper pattern I made to mark and cut the top of the board. Then plane and sand and file the top until it fits my lines on the hull
DR.Bryan this post was very helpful to me. Thanks for sharing it made the planking process easier.

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:30 am

I have not been idle this winter, just not posting. I made a conduit to run from batteries to forward bulkhead. I wasn't sure I needed it, put since the wires will run through two storage compartments, I think it will better protect the wires.
IMG-0824 (1).jpg
. I made covers for the cut outs and screwed them in place. I used pointed screws, but realized they could damage the wiring. So I got some blunt screws instead.
IMG-0825.jpg
The cut outs allow me to bring wires out of conduit at different points. They also gave me access to attach the conduit to the boat. I added brackets with zip ties to secure the wires. I was afraid the edge of the conduit could chafe the wires, so I made gaskets.
IMG-0830.jpg
Bryan

We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:36 am

When it was ready, I secured it to the boat. It will be just under the sole.
IMG-0831.jpg
IMG-0005.jpg
I made the floor supports and epoxied in place. Placement was determined by seat location
IMG-0007.jpg
I used left overs for the supports, that is why there is different wood. I started to stain them, but decided it wasn't worth it half way through.
Bryan

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:40 am

I also made a bulkhead at frame 4. This is where I will have my fuse block and wiring. I allowed access to the fuel tank. I can't decide if I should make a door?
IMG-0008.jpg
IMG-0010.jpg
IMG-0012.jpg
Last edited by DrBryanJ on Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bryan

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:45 am

I also have all the seat brackets made.
IMG-0011.jpg
Next up is ceilings, sole, carlings and I think blocks of flotation foam for under the sole. I am planning on making forms with the insulation and pouring in foam. They should provide about 400 lbs of flotation.
Bryan

Sarnian

Post by Sarnian » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:20 am

fantastic progress! So cool to see this progress - and I like the tactic of uploading a bunch of stuff at once - it is very satisfying to read :D

altondavid

Post by altondavid » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:10 pm

What's the thinking with the flotation foam? I hadn't thought of doing something like that so I'm curious what the rationale is.

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:52 pm

It isn't required in NJ, but it was given to me for free, so why not. I know the wood will float, but the engine and other parts will not. If I can add enough foam to counter balance the weight, maybe any mishaps will not end in disaster. Also, under the sole will give some sound deadening and support.
Bryan

bstrong

Post by bstrong » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:50 pm

Looking good!!! I also have been puttering along this winter so have not posted in a while, but it is amazing just doing a little here and there adds up. I was also looking to add some floatation, I was thinking of filling my side boxes and back near transom with some swim noodles.
I also made a bulked at frame 4 and did like you with the gas tank, except I put my electric panel inside with the gas tank, and on each side of the tank made speaker boxes, the center portion I will just screw a panel to cover the tank so it can be removed to get access to tank and electric. Keep up the good work!

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:27 pm

I thought about putting the fuse block in by the tank, but this is something I want easy access to. If I remember correctly from other malahinis I've seen at the gathering, this area is not visible once the deck is on. If it is, I could build another partition to hide the electric panel.
Bryan

footer

Post by footer » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:08 am

I agree with your reasoning behind using the foam and used it too. I epoxied 2” purple foam on the under side of my flooring before I installed it.
I haven’t sunk yet! Lol
Definitely make your electronics easily accessible. Mine is up under the top deck on the starboard side just forward the dash. Can’t see it unless you crawl under it.

Return to “Power Boats”