modified malahini

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

neel thompson

Re: modified malahini

Post by neel thompson » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:45 am

I just had another thought.... I'm on a roll ! If you would want to make the strakes out of mahogany, I am sure the place where I get my mahogany would mill them for you to your exact specs. It is north of Bethlehem in a little town called Bangor, PA. It is only about 10 minutes north of route 22. They are great to work with and after they mill something, it is perfect. I will give you their number if you like.

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:11 am

Thanks Neel. That might work out best. I think I still have their number. The place is called Starke Lumber if I'm not mistaken.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:30 am

Yes, and her name is Marianne Starke. They may have other wood besides mahogany. Not sure... You could email a picture of the profile.

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:23 pm

I'm trying to bend my spray rails into place. Tried making a steamer box from pvc pipe.. I don't think I could generate enough steam with Lisa's cloths steamer. First attempt ended with a cracked board.

Second try I wrapped the board in plastic on the boat. I have been steaming for about an hour. Seems to be working.
IMG_0221[1].JPG
IMG_0222[1].JPG
Will let you know later.
Bryan

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:07 pm

IMG_0223[1].JPG
Piece bent nicely. I am waiting for it to dry, then I will remove it and finish the piece. Things like sanding and rounding over the top edge etc. I haven't decided if I should paint the boat then attach spray rails with screws and 4200 or if I should screw and epoxy in place and then paint.
Bryan

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:47 am

I have finished bending my spray rails and now want to start on my lift strakes. I have a question about placement. Before i ask my question, let me explain a little about what I have done. My thread is "modified malahini" because it is a amalgamation of the malahini sides with the roustabout bottom. I've kept the beam of the malahini which decreased the size of the bottom slightly. The roustabout calls for two pairs of lift stakes. One 10" from the keel and the other 20". To keep the sides looking most like a malahini I added a lift stake at the chine which is blending into the curvature of the malahini. If I use two lift strakes as specified in the roustabout (which gives me three pairs), my second lift strake will be close to the chine and the outer most lift strake I have already added. I plan to add two pairs of lift strakes at 8 and 16" which will allow me to screw them into the battens instead of just plywood bottom and moves the second further from the third. I think that is acceptable. The problem is where to end the inner most strake. The roustabout plans say that if using two outboards, end the inner lift strake 48" from the transom. I assume this is to prevent cavitation at the props. Since moving the strakes closer to the keel potentially puts them near the tips of the prop (no idea what size prop I will use) should I end them 48" from the transom or is it okay to go all the way to the transom?
Bryan

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:36 am

Bryan

I'm not sure what I'd do. It's a matter what looks right at the time. But, I might just eliminate the inner most pair. BTW. The closest I can put the trailer bunks to each other is 48". that might have a bearing on placement.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:43 am

That was another consideration I forgot about. Do we want the trailer bunks on the battens. If so, maybe I need to move the lift strakes off the battens.
Bryan

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:09 am

Bryan

I don't have lift strakes. I added 3 1/2" battens over the bunks when I built the Bartender frame. I think, I would avoid the bunks with the lift strakes. I can't get the boat on the trailer the same every time anyway.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:18 am

I don't think the strakes will cause cavitation at the prop if your outboard is set with the cavitation plate even with the keel. I have a Penn Yan boat with a vee hull similar to yours, that's how it's been set up and in 47 years it's worked great. I see two possibilities: (1) You could space the two strakes per side, evenly space between the keel and the sides as measured at the transom. That puts them about 10" and 20" either side of the keel but not on any battens. Or (2) you could put one strake per side about 16" either side of the keel, at the middle batten. Either arrangement should work just fine running all the way to the transom and avoids blocking the spots you'd want your trailer bunks (under the outer bottom battens would be most stable placement, about 24" either side of the keel.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:52 am

My trailer came with two bunks. I added two more so that I could position all four underneath the bottom battens.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:18 am

Picked up my lift strakes from Neel yesterday. Thank you so much Neel :D . They look great. Now I have to scarf them together to get the lengths I need and form them to the boat. I plan on making them up now and installing them after I paint with screws and 4200.
Bryan

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Tue May 01, 2018 3:08 pm

A friend came over to get some preliminary measurements for my cut water and transom bands that he is going to make for me. we had a question about type of stainless and gauge or thickness to use
Bryan

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob » Tue May 01, 2018 3:45 pm

Mike's Cutwaters makes his cutwaters using 18 Guage Stainless Steel. The screw holes are for #6 screws set back 3/8" from the edge. Cutwaters by Mike has a very good video to show you how to make patterns for the cutwater and transom bands.
Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Tue May 01, 2018 8:47 pm

I'm curious what type or alloy of stainless is being used for the trim on boats. There are so many diffent types like 300 series, 400 series, duplex alloys, etc. I run across so may different types in my work and each has specific properties and purposes.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

Return to “Power Boats”