modified malahini

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Bill Edmundson

Re: modified malahini

Post by Bill Edmundson » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:27 pm

Bryan

1. I don't have a vent on my deck fill.
2. Fill hose must be USCG approved, I think it's Class 1 or 1A. (Don't depend on my memory.)
3. I don't have one. My fill lines are straight to the tanks.
4. Good
5. If you don't have a tank vent, you will only go a few miles until the engine stops because of a vacuum on the tank.
6. Only if your state requires it.
7. You put a loop/trap in the tank vent line to help keep water out of the tank.
8. Fuel line must meet USCG requirements with shutoff valve.
9. Gauge. Mine doesn't work on the Tahoe. I have a straight shot into the tank and I use a dipstick. make sure you can remove the sending unit if it doesn't work.

Bryan, this is my understanding of what I think you asked and the rules.
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:25 pm

Moeller sells a kit with the fill hose, deck fill, vent hose, vent, all the hose clamps, etc. It's pricey but it has all the stuff you need. It's ideal to go straight up with the fill hose. It really doesn't like to bend at all. I don't know about the supply hose to the engine. My dealer did that. Evinrude recommends a boat mounted water separating filter several times in the owner's manual. I don't have one yet because the dealer said it wasn't necessary. I think I will add one soon anyways.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

jenko

Post by jenko » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:43 am

I used a carbon canister it helps kill the gas fumes from the vent , will almost certainly become a requirement soon.

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:58 pm

My state does not inspect these boats per USCG regulations so my fuel setup was as basic as they come. I did not use an approved fill hose, no shutoff valve in the fuel line, no carbon can, no spitback valve. 10 years and no problems. Just a fuel line from the bow tank to the engine with a primer bulb where it could be reached right in front of the side frame that makes up the dash and then straight back to the engine. A vent line from the tank up to the under deck that formed a trap and vented out the just below the sheer. A grounding wire. A deck fill straight to the tank. The bow tank is easily visible so no gauge. You can get more elaborate from there depending on whats required in your state.

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:48 am

Thanks all for the replies. I'll have to check NJ regs to see what is required. Knowing NJ I'm sure it is every possible devise known to man.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

footer

Post by footer » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:00 am

Hi Bryan;
I was just going through your pictures and am Impressed with with your undertaking and the work you've gotten accomplished. I was trying to understand how this is a Malahini, so i started reading. Now I understand.
That is so cool that you took two styles and created one unique boat. That in itself is will slow things down, not to mention the planked hull work. Wow! I wanted to do that myself, but decided to take the easy road and just paint, but your hull is beautiful.
I'm looking forward to seeing its progress and finish. Great things take time.
My Dream Boat is Neels Palm Beach. I bought the same plans and and was all ready to start, when I chickened out and went with the Malahini. Just not confident enough in my skills yet to take on that major of an undertaking. Neel makes it look easy and I am following his build with enthusiasm and admiration. Maybe one day, I will be ready to tackle that mountain. So, I commend you on your challenge. Keep up the good work. :)

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:21 am

Thanks Footer. It has been interesting. There have been some problems doing this. A few times where I had to go back more than a few steps. Now that it is flipped, it should more closely follow a malahini.
Bryan

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:31 pm

8. Fuel line must meet USCG requirements with shutoff valve.
Thanks for your list Bill.

Thought I had everything covered. Bought a shutoff valve at lunch. I also read that an in-line valve must be mounted to something, not loose on the hose. So I bought the one that can be mounted.

Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:03 am

Has anyone used these to hold down their fuel tank?
moe-300110_large__28983.1469113659.190.285.jpg
moe-300110_large__28983.1469113659.190.285.jpg (12.6 KiB) Viewed 5822 times
www.wholesalemarine.com/moeller-marine- ... n-kit.html

I originally ordered
MOE-035710_lg__15358.1469113011.1280.1280.jpg
www.wholesalemarine.com/moeller-marine- ... tanks.html but they added almost 5 inches to the width of the platform for the tank and I couldn't fit it far enough into the bow.
Bryan

billy c

Post by billy c » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:21 pm

I used those clips and they hook pretty well into the slots on the tank. I think you could straighten the clip bottom and mount vertically off the edge of the tank platform and save yourself some space.
Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:37 pm

Billy: I hadn't thought of that solution. I will try to straighten one and see what it looks like. Thanks.
Bryan

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:57 pm

I used the strap kit because the moeller tank I got doesn't work with the hold down clamps. It worked out fine. They're easy to bend and have a thick plasticky coating on them.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:55 am

Thanks Matt. I had ordered that kit last night. I think that will work fine.
Bryan

BillW

Post by BillW » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:17 am

This a Moeller tank held down with 4 heavy "marine" bungees from the hardware store.
They have stainless hook ends. Won't last forever, but easily replaced. They are out of
the sun, under a seat. This photo shows the tank just sitting on the battens, but I smartened up
and added plywood platform with neoprene pad. It's now been used a couple of years.
Sorry, it's not a Glen-L boat.....
DSCN4717 (2).JPG

Biss

Post by Biss » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:01 am

I was going to fabricate some brackets for my bow tank, but after you mentioned the clips that moeller makes, I decided, for 18 bucks, I'd just buy them and modify to fit my application. I'll be sure to post some pics after the install.

Return to “Power Boats”