modified malahini

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

mrintense

Re: modified malahini

Post by mrintense » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:13 am

One of the challenges I face with my build is not having some of these basic items yet (i.e. battery boxes) because of an incomplete understanding of my final electrical needs. I am reluctant to purchase these without that understanding. Combined with the long lead time I am experiencing in getting the basic boat done, which also makes me reluctant to purchase items that may be age limited (batteries, electronics, etc), it makes for some sleepless nights and an increasingly anxious desire to get the basic build finished.

I too have concerns about messing up installed items which has so far manifested itself in not installing anything permanently (including interior structural members).

I might suggest considering some sort of easy access to the bilge pumps in your motorwell as you will undoubtedly have to get in to replace these at some point. I am sure you've thought about this. I was planning on putting my batteries in the lower motorwell area (on the side). Since there will be a bench seat across the back, this presents problems with access. I am considering a sliding battery tray, but suspect this will be challenging because of the weight of the batteries (I'll have two).

Looking good Bryan. I know how difficult these decisions can be. You seem to have a handle on it.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Baris55

Post by Baris55 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:31 pm

mrintense wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:00 am
This is a tricky consideration. Whether to stain or not and if so, how to go about it. What makes it tricky is the all or nothing nature of the process. We all have so much time invested in our labors of love and the risk is always, "Will I screw this up?"

I side stepped the issue early on with my build. I had originally considered veneering the entire hull with thin planking after the plywood was installed. My concerns at the time were, threefold. How much extra time and effort would this take, how would I finish it without screwing up, and did I really want a finish that I had to sand and refinish every few years. I eventually decided that painting was the choice for me, given my age and situation.
Obviously, others have different considerations and ambitions. The wooden planked hulls do look gorgeous, and I applaud everyone who does that. They make our lives richer with their art.
As always Bryan, the work you are doing is what makes this such a fun project. I know that whatever choice you make, will be a gem and I look forward to seeing her in whatever form she ends up in.
Hello everyone. Thank you for exposing this with us, I find it really interesting! and it is well said! However, a detail trots me a little, I would like to expose it if it is possible. Thank you for your return.  Good luck to all.

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:49 pm

Thanks Carl: I have put off purchases of items with time limited warranties, but at least I think I know which ones I want. That helps some with planning. I have thought about access to under the motor well. My plan right now is to have an easily removable hatch. I would like to be able to get into the rear bilge area to remove any water that doesn't drain through the drain tubes or get pumped out with the bilge pumps. I am trying to think of how I can make it water tight.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

footer

Post by footer » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:57 pm

Nice use of space. I have one bilge pump, I mounted mine similar to yours. Its a tight fit to change it back there, but not too hard. Thing is, I rarely need it. Mostly just when it rains hard.

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:49 pm

Hi Bryan,
Nice to see your progress, good work. At this stage of a build I get to feeling overwhelmed with the challenge of bringing all the parts together. All part of the fun, enjoy!
Matt B

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:33 pm

The guy who is making my cut water came over to do some test fitting. I thought it was too soon, but he wanted to get started.
THe cardboard templet in place
THe cardboard templet in place
one side of stainless
one side of stainless
Bryan

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:39 pm

Also, looking at nav lights. I have this one. It needs to be rechromed.
bowlight2.jpg
bowlight1.jpg
I think it might be a little too big. I think I have another somewhere, but can't find it right now. At $80 bucks a light to rechrome, I only want to do one. If I can find the other, if someone wants it, I will sell it for what I paid. $15.
Bryan

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:46 pm

Hey Bryan, can you post a picture of the light on the boat from a bit further back so we can get some perspective on the size.?
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:57 am

At Carl's request, here are pictures of the light on the boat.
bowlight1.jpg
bowlight2.jpg
It looks just a little too big for my boat.
Bryan

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:59 am

Today I decided to get out my windshield brackets. Here are picture of both the bow light and brackets.
bowlight3.jpg
bowlight4.jpg
With the brackets on the boat, the light seems much better. I think this one will work fine.
Bryan

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:05 pm

That light looks nice on the boat.Plus,it looks like it has a hole for a short burgee flag pole.A Glen-L burgee would look nice there. :D
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:28 pm

Thanks Chug. That's the plan.

This light fixture doesn't currently have a light socket in it. Any suggestions for what to use? Would like LED.
Bryan

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:49 pm

If you go to a travel trailer store, you could probably find a socket that would work. They should have led bulbs that will fit into a standard socket. Many rv'ers have upgraded their existing bulbs to led, including me.
Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:22 am

As I progress in my build, I am trying to figure out what plywood I can use for various parts. I did a count on my remaining supply and found a problem. I do not have enough 1/4 ply for the deck. I only have 2 sheets left. I have an abundance of 3/8 ply (5+ sheets) Is there any reason I can not use 3/8 instead of 1/4 for sub-deck. I know it will be harder to bend, but there is not too big of a curve in the deck. I would rather not have to order 2 more sheets of 1/4. The shipping is outrageous.
Bryan

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:09 pm

Bryan

I used 3/8 on my decks with 1/8 veneer.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “Power Boats”