modified malahini

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

DrBryanJ

Re: modified malahini

Post by DrBryanJ »

IMG-0014.jpg
Did a little work on my steering wheel today. Sanded spokes to 3000 grit, then stainless steel compound on a felt wheel. Last I used jewelers rouge. Lighting here doesn't do it justice. Question for those adept at polishing Stainless. How do I get all the compound off?
IMG-0015.jpg
There is a small crack in the compound I need to repair, then I came prime and paint.

IMG-0016.jpg
Don't know how to attach decorative rings? I think 4200.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

Continued with my steering wheel. Opened cracked area with a dremel type tool.
IMG-0017.jpg
I use this to repair wheel compound
IMG-0020.jpg
Cut off equal parts and knead together. Then push into place. A wet finger will help get material near to shape
IMG-0019.jpg
Have to wait twelve hrs for it to cure before sanding.
Bryan

We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

footer

Post by footer »

Cleaning stainless polish: well, I use any lacquer thinner, rubbing alcohol, mothers mag polish, and of course, elbow grease, and old T-shirts, whatever is the handiest at the time.
There are different wheels for different aggressiveness. The more threads (see them on the side) the more aggressive the wheel. Less threads, better shine.
Attachments
Wheel on the grinder is aggressive, the one in the pack gives a better shine.
Wheel on the grinder is aggressive, the one in the pack gives a better shine.

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

This what I've been using.
IMG-0021.jpg
Small, but effective. It is what I used to use to polish gold crowns. Don't think I'll be using these to polish my cutwater though. :lol: :lol:
Bryan

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Bryan, nice work on fixing up the steering wheel. I like the little decorative rings, nice touch.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

Biss

Post by Biss »

Really classy steering wheel; bet it is going to look great on your boat.

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

It's really coming together nicely Bryan. Everything looks great!
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

Stay after it buddy,
Matt B

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

Got my steering wheel repaired and painted. It is wr-lpu. I need to let it dry for 4 days before I attach the decorative rings.
wheel painter.jpg
. The hub for the hydraulic steering is black plastic. Can it be painted? I would like to paint to match the center hub of the steering wheel.

I am going to install my carlings soon. I am going to run my hydraulic lines behind the starboard carling, and I want to drill the holes for the lines before I attach the carlings. I am also thinking I need to run the fuel line behind the carling. Should the fuel line be high behind carling or lower in the side boxes? Or doesn't it matter?
Bryan

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Looks great Bryan. Just remember you will need to run your wiring somewhere so leave room for that. Maybe run the fuel line down the port side? Most of my wiring runs down the starboard (drivers) side. Because that's where the motor controls, gauges, and switches are.
Matt

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

I have a conduit under the sole for the wiring. Control cables will be in starboard side box. Only other things to get from for to aft are the hydraulics and fuel. Unless I'm missing something. Don't I want to keep fuel and hydraulics on same side so they can go through the motor well together?
Bryan

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

DrBryanJ wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:58 am
Don't I want to keep fuel and hydraulics on same side so they can go through the motor well together?
Yes, if you plan ahead you can get away with only one hole in the motor well side.
Matt

footer

Post by footer »

Sure, you can paint plastic. Krylon makes a spray paint specifically for plastic. Used it many times with good results. Just be sure to scuff sand it.

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

I got the steering hub out today and to my surprise it is powder coated metal. So a scuff coat and good primer should do the job. Just need to do a good job taping what I don't want painted. I think it will look much better matching the steering wheel.
Bryan

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

Thought I'd post some progress I've made. Rear seat frame is assembled. The front kick board is epoxied and first coat of wr-lpu on.
IMG_0073.jpg
I have the carlings in place but not faired. They are also epoxied and first coat of wr-lpu on. You can also see my water separating fuel filter. It is behind the rear seat where I can access it by removing the seat back.
IMG_0074.jpg
Behind the starboard carling is my fuel line in a conduit and the hydraulic steering lines zip-tied to the conduit.
IMG_0075.jpg
I have other things I'm working on, but not ready for pics yet. Rear side boxes, front seats, sole, etc.
Bryan

Return to “Power Boats”