modified malahini

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

vupilot

Re: modified malahini

Postby vupilot » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:20 pm

Glad to hear your wife is winning that battle!

DrBryanJ

Postby DrBryanJ » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:02 pm

Put bottom on. When I released the kerfed battens forward of frame one, they didn't spring back to contact the bottom. I guess after being held down for over a year they held the curve. I have them wedged into place, but still have some large gaps. I am planning on thickening some epoxy and filling the gaps. Any other suggestions? I can't figure out how to get the photos off my iphone.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:19 am

I had a similar issue with mine. I ended up adding addition hardware (screws) to hold it up. However, the screws by themselves were insufficient to draw the wood up. Basically what I had to do was use a temporary bolt and nut to draw the part up after applying epoxy to the mating surfaces. Then added a few screws in strategic locations. I removed the bolt and filled in the holes with thickened epoxy. Since I am fiberglassing and painting the bottoms, This was an acceptable alternative.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Craig Aho

Postby Craig Aho » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:16 pm

Hello Bryan, I am already thinking I would like to build the Malahini. It is a great looking boat and maybe I could improve my building skills enough to produce a nice one. My wife really likes this boat. If the good Lord will grant me the time to build I think I will order the plans for a near future start. Like your mods.

DrBryanJ

Postby DrBryanJ » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:22 am

Hi Craig, thanks. I believe my changes will work.:?: Has been a bit of challenge. :x I do love the look of the malahini.
Bryan

DrBryanJ

Postby DrBryanJ » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:03 am

I started planking the sides. The port side is finished. A little more fairing on the starboard and I can do that as well. Yesterday I picked up some rough 5/4 and 4/4 sapele for the sides. Hope I can get enough planks out of it. I have pictures to post, but can't get them off my iphone. Don't know what to do. All my tech support is gone. (One son moved to CA and other got married and is too busy for his old man.)
Bryan

DrBryanJ

Postby DrBryanJ » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:35 pm

Got the sides on. I need to do a little fairing before applying the mahogany planking. What compounds have people used?
Bryan

DrBryanJ

Postby DrBryanJ » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:53 am

I have the sides and bottom on and have started fairing. I have a question about the side planking. I am trying to lay it out. Should I use a laser level to set the lines or should I measure the distance from the shear all around so each board parallels the shear. I find when I use a level, the first plank is about 2" wide at the transom and goes as wide as 5' near frame 4
Attachments
IMG_0004[1].JPG
IMG_0003[1].JPG
Bryan

billy c

Postby billy c » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:18 am

Bryan-
what you are trying to do is called "spiling"
here are the search results - a good read and should get you headed in the right direction :D
http://www.glen-l.com/phpBB2/search.php?keywords=spiling
-Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

DrBryanJ

Postby DrBryanJ » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:53 am

Thanks Billy,

I understand it now. Ready to start spiling this weekend.
Bryan

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:30 pm

Bryan,

Are you planning on fiberglassing the exterior? The hull looks good. You need to post more pics! :D :D
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

DrBryanJ

Postby DrBryanJ » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:06 am

I am planning on covering the sides with mahogany. I already have the boards cut and planed to 3/16. I hope I have enough. There was a lot of waste After that I am planing on fiberglassing the bottom to the waterline only. Epoxy and varnish only for the sides. Don't know how much more I can get done this year. I checked the garage this morning and it is only 48 degrees. :x
Bryan

Craig Aho

Postby Craig Aho » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:18 am

Hello Bryan, I am curious about your planking, how thick did you buy your mahogany planks before you started to plan down to 3/16"? And what type of mahogany are you using and how do you attach the material?.

Craig

DrBryanJ

Postby DrBryanJ » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:28 am

I am using sapele. I bought 5/4 and 4/4 rough lumber. We did not have a resaw blade for the band saw. Big mistake. The blade kept walking away from the fence. Ended up afraid to go any smaller than 3/8 before planing to 3/16. A lot of waste. Next time I will invest in a resaw blade. My friend doesn't think it will fit his band saw though.

I made a jig for my trim router to aide in spiling.
IMG_0007[1].JPG

Of course I have to fair the sides before starting.

I plan on attaching the boards with poxy-grip. I will staple through rope to hold in-place until cured. Unfortunately it is getting cold. I may have to wait until spring to do this.
Attachments
IMG_0005[1].JPG
Bryan

DrBryanJ

Postby DrBryanJ » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:22 pm

Finished fairing and sanding sides today. I started spiling. I am using 5 planks per side, so I measured at each frame and divided by 5. I then marked at each frame and drew a fair line from mark to mark. I had to make some adjustments to make the lines pleasing to my eye.
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0001.JPG

I then put clear shelf paper on the side and traced my line. I cut out the piece I was working on and placed on my plank. I then cut out with jigsaw
IMG_0004 (1).JPG
Then with lots of planing and sanding and filing, I got the top of the plank to match my lines. It took me all day to get the 3 pieces I needed for the first plank. This can take forever. I did get a lot faster with each piece. It is amazing how much curve the boards need to look straight on the hull.
Bryan

Return to “Power Boats”