Limbers on a monaco / riveria

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

keith

Limbers on a monaco / riveria

Post by keith » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:40 pm

Today I cut the limbers, except for the athwart ship ones.

I read in a post somewhere that the athwart ship limbers were cut at the rear on outboard boats, and somewhere near the centre on inboards.

Can Monaco / Rivera owners tell me where they cut theirs and if they work in that position.
Building a Monaco....provisionally called "Serenity"
http://glen-l-monaco.blogspot.com/

BruceDow

Re: Limbers on a monaco / riveria

Post by BruceDow » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:21 am

Good question.

At a minimum, you want the limbers at the lowest point when the boat is at rest.

I shortened the Monaco design by 10%. My "lowest point" is under the driver's feet. On longer boats, I have heard it to be as far back as the front of the engine. When I first put in one set of athwartship limbers, I missed the low point by about three feet. I had to retrofit a new set (not fun). I wish I had put athwartship limbers between each frame.

When finished, the bottom of the boat is like a big egg carton. Anything you do now to help facilitate draining of the sections will be appreciated later.
Bruce.

~~ Do what you love, and love what you do. ~~
~~ To me - only my boat is not yet perfect. Everybody else's is to be admired for I know the path they have walked (Dave Lott, 2010) ~~
Dow's Monaco Project

Tim Major

Post by Tim Major » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:09 am

keith wrote:Today I cut the limbers, except for the athwart ship ones.

I read in a post somewhere that the athwart ship limbers were cut at the rear on outboard boats, and somewhere near the centre on inboards.

Can Monaco / Rivera owners tell me where they cut theirs and if they work in that position.
Hi Keith

As per instruction, Limbers "should be cut on the outside of all bottom longditudinals". With the possible exception of frame 8 it is very important to cut limbers above every bottom batten and the keel at each frame. You should be able to pass a 12mm dowel through the cut limber, anything smaller will eventually tend to clog up. When you fix your 1st layer of ply it is very important to clear the limbers of glue build-up. I used small bottle brushes but fencing wire & rag would do the same job but be methodical so as not to miss any.

Tim

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:00 pm

Keith -

I cut two sets of athwartship limbers. One set at the transom so when the boat was on plane, and water ran to the rear it could move down toward the keel.

At rest, the Riviera low point is at frame 6. You will need to add a bilge pump in front of this frame. I have athwartship limbers on both sides of this frame.

Be sure to route your limbers on the high side of the frames for your longitudinals.

I have had only one instance where my athwartships came into play. I buried the bow in about 20 waves on Lake Michigan and I am sure half of the lake came over my windshield into my lap. I needed every drain item I could find.
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

keith

Post by keith » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:10 am

Thanks guys for the responses.

I am not sure I can bring myself to cut quite as many or as deep athwart ship limbers as you are advising Tim, but I'll try and find a balance between your advice and Daves. My battens are about 20mm thick from memory, thus a 12mm limber would be over half the thickness, although I do understand you point about them blocking easily. I read somewhere that butt blocks should be glued above the limber cuts, but up against a frame this seems a bit pointless as the block cannot span the cut.

I have already cut the limbers in the frames, they are about 12mm deep.

Tim Major

Post by Tim Major » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:37 am

Hi Keith

Have re-read your limber post with a clear head :? :roll: I would agree with the other guys re athwartship limbers under your seat although I have cut atwartship limbers at the transom only and have had no real draining problems and experienced a few bucket-full's of water in the bilge on a rough and rainy boat trip. Cutting 10-12mm out of your battens may seem a little rash but when you have your ply glued and finished the apparent diminished batten streangth will be of little consiquence.

Tim

keith

Post by keith » Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:04 am

I ended up cutting 10mm athwartship limbers on the forward side of frames 0, 4 & 6

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:14 am

that will do just fine
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

jenko

Post by jenko » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:49 pm

I only put athwartship limbers at the transom.is this going to be a problem?

BruceDow

Post by BruceDow » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:33 pm

Hi Jenko.

Are you building a Riv/Monaco?

You will need athwartship limbers at the low point.

On my Monaco, the low point (both when floating at rest, and when on the trailer) is in front of the engine.

Bruce.
Bruce.

~~ To me - only my boat is not yet perfect. Everybody else's is to be admired for I know the path they have walked (Dave Lott, 2010) ~~
Dow's Monaco Project

jenko

Post by jenko » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:40 pm

I am building a riviera and I have already done ply layers guess I shall have to put more limbers in.Any tips on adding them after planking?

BruceDow

Post by BruceDow » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:59 am

Here is what I would do...

Make these limbers one of the last things you do before you finish the cockpit. At that point, the center of balance will not move very much.

Float the boat, and toss a bucket of water in the bilge. Where do the puddles go? That will tell you the lowest point on each batten run. That is where you need the athwartship limbers. Your bilge pump(s) will go at the lowest point beside the keel.

While you are at it, find the lowest point on your boat when it is level on your trailer... that is where you need your garbord drains. You can move the puddle by jacking the front of the boat up or down, but it is most convenient to have the puddle over the drains when the trailer is attached to your tow vehicle.

When the boat is dry, cut notches through the battens from the inside (stay flush with the plywood). You can do this with a router with the bit set to the correct depth. Then epoxy a "bridge" over each notch to restore the batten strength.

You will need to think about access to the drains and bilge pumps.

When I built mine, I guessed at the location for the bilge pumps and drains. I originally put them under the seat. I missed by about three feet, and needed to move them forward. I have an access port on the sole (floor) under my feet.
Bruce.

Dow's Monaco Project

jenko

Post by jenko » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:35 pm

Thanks Bruce,sounds like a good easy solution.

Return to “Power Boats”