My Ski King Build

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

jeffh

Re: My Ski King Build

Post by jeffh »

That is really beautiful work. I was just in Amsterdam for business. But Amsterdam appears to be about 1.5hrs away from you. I'll be back in June...you never know, we may cross paths. Good luck with the final build.
2011 MALAHINI - KICKED IN THE HEAD
I wake up with a 16ft woody every morning :)
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=534DBtp1Cnc

FreshGrooves

Post by FreshGrooves »

Thanks Moeregaard!!

@ Jeff: Thanks! When you have time on your next trip you are always welcome to visit!

Rutger_Oba

Post by Rutger_Oba »

Hi FreshGrooves! I'm new to the forum and I have recently bought the hull of a Ski King that someone else has built. I have to finish it and am in the process of trying to find the right engine so I can drill all the necessary holes in the bow and transom so it can be painted afterwards.

I am having trouble finding enough space to mount the engine and saw you ran into some trouble with that as well. I know it was a long time ago but do you maybe have some tips for figuring it out? I am looking into buying a 3.0 135hp mercruiser engine and the transmission needs to be as compact as possible otherwise I won't have room to mount the engine and it will stick out past the front seat. I have a maximum space of 780mm and the mercruiser engine is 730mm by itself so I think it will be a challenge regardless but I was just wondering what your complete setup ended up looking like? Did you have to adjust your front seats in the end or sacrifice some leg room? Would love to see some photos of your setup or possibly even swing by one day to have a look at how you solved everything if you still have to Ski King!

Hope to hear from you!

Kind Regards,
Rutger

FreshGrooves

Post by FreshGrooves »

Hi Rutger,

Well thats a long time ago that i´ve been here... but good news, still building the boat! My project is progressing very slow because of the company I own, it comsumed a lot of free time. But due to the corona virus its totally shut down (we produce large public events) so i started 2 weeks ago again, nice timing for this question!

I also had a lot of trouble finding the right engine and setup. I ended up with the Mercruiser 3.0 litres, 135 horsepower. The transmission is a Twindisc/Technodrive Down Angle. I picked this one in order to have the engine as straight as possible, otherwise the engine won´t fit underneath the decking. And as you can see, it still didnt´t fit because of the airfilter coming true :D

The front and rear bench wil be converted to single seated places (2 in the front, 2 in the back) with a console in the middle.

Don´t know where you live but when its around the Netherlands feel free to visit!

I just shot the pictures so they are recent.

Feel free to ask!

Greetings Marijn
Attachments
20200915_154605.jpg
20200915_154507.jpg
20200915_154432.jpg

Rutger_Oba

Post by Rutger_Oba »

Hi Marijn,

Thanks for the response! Great to see updated pictures of your Ski King! The progress is very impressive. Funny how the timing has worked out indeed. I have been looking at the same mercruiser engine as well and quite a few other options as well but they all seem way too big. So I guess after looking at yours as well the only real option would be to sacrifice some space in the front seat unfortunately and build a console.

I will post some pictures of mine as well to show you my progress. I live in The Hague but am on the road quite often so would love to swing by (at safe distance of course) to check out your progress!

Any tips on buying parts here in The Netherlands? I have quite a lot al ready but things like brackets for the windshield etc. are pretty hard to come by.

Appreciate your help!

kens

Post by kens »

Nice build,
I looked at TwinDisc for my build, some 14 years ago.
Which gear model did you settle upon?
ratio?
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

FL-John

Post by FL-John »

Wow! A 10 year build that's still in progress. Beautiful boat!

FreshGrooves

Post by FreshGrooves »

@Rutger_Oba Yes a bigger engine is a little issue, some people extend the space between the frames but i gues thats not an option anymore in your case... if you like to visit (maybe good for making a decission on the engine) you can contact me at marijn@freshgrooves.nl.

I couldn´t find the window brackets eather, I have ordered them in the US...

@kens Thanks Ken! The model is TM 345 A with gear ratio 2

@FL John Hopefully I will finish it in the next 10 years :D Can´t wait to start a second project and apply the lessons i have learned!

Rutger_Oba

Post by Rutger_Oba »

Haha no unfortunately extending the frame is no longer an option. I'm trying to get a hold of a place that might have an engine solution but it is probably in the realm of a 60 hp diesel engine with a transmission as small as possible. Not sure if it is enough power but it may be worth a look. What website did you use from the US for the brackets? I found a UK website with some but they are not totally what I'm looking for though the price point is pretty decent (400 pounds).

I'll send you an email soon to see if we can arrange a visit!

FreshGrooves

Post by FreshGrooves »

I can´t find the adres for the brackets... I was on holiday in the US when i came across a advertising, eventually ordered there en shipped the package to my sister, she lives in New York. She brought it to me when visiting the Netherlands.... a lucky shot i guess

Return to “Power Boats”