Rampage or Tornado?

Rampage
43%
Tornado
57%

Total votes: 7

Denon Osterman

Postby Denon Osterman » Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:41 am

as well, does anyone know anything about the thunderbolt? judging from the description, id guess that its a flat bottom boat...can anyone confirm?

Nova SS

Postby Nova SS » Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:55 am

Denon Osterman wrote:as well, does anyone know anything about the thunderbolt? judging from the description, id guess that its a flat bottom boat...can anyone confirm?

Yes the Thunderbolt is a flatty. I had a hard time deciding if I wanted to build that or the Tornado when I was choosing plans. I ended up choosing the Tornado due to the duel cockpit arrangment. But I still think the Thunderbolt is a cool boat.

Here is a pic from the customer photos of a Thunderbolt in progress. you can clearly see that the bottom is flat

Nova SS

Postby Nova SS » Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:25 pm

Denon Osterman wrote:I'm leaning towards the rampage right now cause although there are more voted for the tornado, and i personnaly think it looks better

Well I think above the water line the two boats are very very simular. I would think you should be able to make the Rampage look exactly like the Tornado. I think the Rampage is a good choice even though I did vote for the Tornado(likely cause I have the plans here for one :oops: ). Only you know the conditions of the lake you will be using and if you feel it will be too rough for the flatty then by all means build the v bottom. It will still be a very fast boat... :)

Caber_Feidh

Postby Caber_Feidh » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:53 pm

All in all, if you are purchasing new components, and actually want a reverse, the jet pump complete will cost about what a V-drive gearbox alone is going to bleed you for. Mechanical simplicity, shallow water operation, submerged "surprises" (stumps, logs, the like) and hole-shot are the big advantages of a jet pump. My lake has several rock-bottom channels with 1 to 1-1/2 foot depth between home and "the big lake". Not a good place for V drive.

Nothing is quite like digging a jetboat off a wide sandbar with a paddle to put new meaning in shallow water operation. The jet drives away afterward, the v-drive... well, not pretty.

Those little rudders on the nozzle are, for the most part, useless. (I must have 15 of them in a box under my bench) Getting used to the low speed handling characteristics of a jet is an experience, but you will quickly adapt to the "thrust to turn" syndrome. Then will come that day you forget you are in the family-truckster, and not your boat... point the car into the garage, and blip the throttle to get it to turn.

Outlets below the waterline are simple, Most marinizing "kits" will have snaildrums on the exhaust. The bottom of the snaildrums riser will be above waterline. Flappers can help keep waves from entering the stacks, and flooding over the risers. (Over the transom twisties are by far, much cooler, but seem to have adverse effects on the local constabulary.)

(and as a late vote... I like the Rampage.)

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:04 pm

Caber_Feidh wrote:....but you will quickly adapt to the "thrust to turn" syndrome. Then will come that day you forget you are in the family-truckster, and not your boat... point the car into the garage, and blip the throttle to get it to turn.

ROTFLMAO :lol: :lol:

You're not going to believe this but:

Here in Tennessee, there is a rather new law on the books concerning motorcyclists. If you are on a motorcycle and waiting for a traffic signal to change, if opposing traffic is clear and it's safe, you don't have to wait for the signal itself to change. You can go ahead and run the light. So I ride a Harley. But DARN IT! Everytime I'm in the truck, I have this incredibly overwhelming urge to run red lights. It's all I can do to keep from nailing the gas as soon as traffic is clear.

This has really messed with my mind. :shock:
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

leakcheck

Postby leakcheck » Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:40 am

Wait...you can run it to go straight? Or to turn right? or to turn left?...I think Massachusettes has no right turn on red...but most other places allow it..

Steve

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:12 am

leakcheck wrote:Wait...you can run it to go straight? Or to turn right? or to turn left?

Yes.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

BToran

Postby BToran » Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:27 am

dave - that law sounds nuts. it's hard enough for cars, trucks, etc. to see us when we're turning left legally (ie when on-coming traffic should be watching for us). i can't imagine the carnage of turning left on red. it means drivers to our left with a green light and continuing straight (ie conditions where drivers would NEVER have to think twice about hitting a bike) will be aimed right at us (and have legal right of way). now we'll be getting hit from the right AND left (hopefully not simultaneously) by drivers who say they never saw us. i realize riders would only be turning when they think traffic is "clear", but wow, sounds like accidents waiting to happen to me.
Bruce
Glen Cove, NY

Don't Eat Anything Bigger Than Your Head!

Caber_Feidh

Postby Caber_Feidh » Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:44 am

It does sound like a recipe for "road pizza" doesn't it?

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:15 am

Well, the law is not nuts. In fact, it's not nearly as crazy as it sounds because the stipulation is that the intersection MUST be clear and safe. Then, and only then, can a biker proceed. But it certainly places the burden of responsibility on the biker. However, this law was created in response to so many cases where a biker would sit at a traffic light waiting to change, a real Barney Fife cop sitting behind him and the bike isn't heavy enough to trip the sensor in the road. Then as everyone waits the bike sits there and overheats. (Of course that applies to air cooled bikes like my Harley.)

Finally, the biker has to blow the light or shut it off and then the cop's got him for a ticket. With so many attorneys riding Harleys and dressing in their poser leathers these days, it was only inevitable that some overzealous cop would hassle one of Tn's lawmakers. Ha Ha.

Imagine you're a cop and you're thinking: "That leather dude on that bike could be carrying some crystal meth. If I could get him on a regular traffic violation, I might get another drug user off the streets." But then you pull over what you think is a Hell's Angel and it turns out to be the most powerful lawyer in town and he aint happy.

v-driver

Postby v-driver » Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:39 pm

[quote="novass]I had a hard time deciding if I wanted to build that or the Tornado when I was choosing plans. I ended up choosing the Tornado due to the duel cockpit arrangment. [/quote]

Novass: I built the Tornado with a single cockpit arrangement. It required strengthening the coamings and carlins with one additional doubler, but it effectively opens up the cockpit to a useable space. It's no longer a two-place ride.

Check out my pics in the "Customers Pictures" area of the Glen-L home page under "Tornado by Paul Miller, Memphis, TN 7-02".

Paul Miller in Memphis, TN
"Yeah, I had lunch with him last week!"

Nova SS

Postby Nova SS » Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:32 pm

v-driver wrote:
novass wrote:I had a hard time deciding if I wanted to build that or the Tornado when I was choosing plans. I ended up choosing the Tornado due to the duel cockpit arrangment.

Novass: I built the Tornado with a single cockpit arrangement. It required strengthening the coamings and carlins with one additional doubler, but it effectively opens up the cockpit to a useable space. It's no longer a two-place ride.

Check out my pics in the "Customers Pictures" area of the Glen-L home page under "Tornado by Paul Miller, Memphis, TN 7-02".

Hey Paul...not sure if you remember me or not but I had emailed you couple of years ago about your project and you gave me a ton of GREAT info....thanks again.......that is one beautiful boat you have there....BTW you wouldnt happen to have a pic of it in the water would you?

v-driver

Postby v-driver » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:17 pm

Hey, Duane!

Good to hear from you. Nah, I don't have pics of it on the water; and I doubt I'll have it out again this year to get some pictures shot, unless I get a wild hair! I bought a couple of motorcycles and have been spending most of my spare time with them.

Got a VTX 1800 (2002) and a GL1800 Goldwing (2004). Between them I logged a bit over 62000 miles in 3 years - 53000 on the 'Wing, by itself!

Anyway, I'm still flogging the v-drive; gotta go - the sun's coming out and the riding season is getting shorter by the minute!

(Wanna buy a boat??? - :D )
Just kiddin'

Return to “Power Boats”