Plywood Selection

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

walbert52

Plywood Selection

Post by walbert52 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:12 pm

I just received my plans for the CS and would like some information on selecting the proper plywood for the build. Thank you for all of your help. :P :P :P

neel thompson

Re: Plywood Selection

Post by neel thompson » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:18 am

I will continue sticking to my guns! Jobert Okoume plywood is the best. It is light weight, strong,cuts without splintering, and is a joy to work with. It is probably the most expensive of all of the marine plywoods available, but worth the extra money in my opinion... Best of luck with your upcoming build......Neel

jamundsen

Post by jamundsen » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:03 am

Okume is the best in my opinion.
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Work tends to get in the way of boat building

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:44 am

Joubert Okoume!!! Simply the BEST!!!!

Roberta :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:35 am

They are right. Meranti (sp) is good. But, it is stiffer, heavier, and you'll get more splinters to pull out of you're hands after each session.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Iggy

Post by Iggy » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:39 am

Meranti worked well for my project and the BS1088 Hydrotek I got was good quality.
Ian (aka Iggy)
My Malahini Build

Andy Garrett

Post by Andy Garrett » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:00 am

The Hydrotek that I received was very inconsistent with weights ranging from 18 to 40 pounds per 4x8 sheet. If you can get past that, you better have a VERY fine tooth saw, because it splinters like crazy! If you can sand to a final edge, it finishes better, but this is difficult to achieve.

Another issue is that it is so dense, that you cannot 'compress' it with a screw in the manner the book (Boatbuilding With Plywood) instructs. There is no give at all on the surface--it's kinda like concrete siding that way--maybe worse. You have to fully coutersink all screws.

It is very strong and pretty when bright finished, but I would not use it again.
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...

Iggy

Post by Iggy » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:05 pm

I hope Andy's experience is the exception, not the rule, on BS 1088 Hydrotek Meranti.

I can testify that Meranti sliver's are nasty, but no more nasty than the douglas fir or Sapelle lumber. I was able to get nice crisp cuts on mine, and the Meranti didn't have any weight variances like Andy did.

I looked at Okoume but I was concerned about how well it would hold up from the local river rocks. Meranti is heavier than Okoume but lighter than Douglas Fir, and it's very strong. Hard to bend, but not brittle. A local ZIP builder snapped his Okoume while doing the sides, my Meranti never had any issues with flexing, other than being a really hard to bend in the first place (particularly the 3/8" bottom at the stem).

Countersinking the heads on Meranti was not a big deal for me... I'd be more suspect of the wood if it countersunk easly like spruce or fir.

That said, Meranti or Okoume, do your best to buy it from a reputable place that stands behind their products. BS1088 standard helps but it's no guarantee that the manufacturer follows the spec's or informs the dealer of the possible variations.

The only other material I used was Doug Fir, as a filler for my transom. I prefer Meranti over DF.
Ian (aka Iggy)
My Malahini Build

walbert52

Post by walbert52 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:11 pm

Thank you everyone for the great information I have found a lumber yard in Houston, TX that has 9mm Joubert Okoume for $93 per sheet. I think that is the going price from what I have read here, just need to find a local epoxy supplier near Dallas, so I don't have to pay the HasMat fee or should I just order from Glen L. Thanks again everyone happy boating :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Wade

Bill CNC

Post by Bill CNC » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:20 pm

Roberta Hegy wrote:Joubert Okoume!!! Simply the BEST!!!!

Roberta :D :D :D :D

+1
Bill

TNT Build, ... On Going, ... http://tinyurl.com/abmae64

The Freebie Zip, ... On Going, ...http://tinyurl.com/at3udss

Super Spartan Build "Miss Tripindicular", ... Completed, ...http://tinyurl.com/b488wsz

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:45 am

$93.00 for 9mm Joubert is a good price. I would order the Poxy shield and Poxy Grip right from Glen L. I don't think there is a hazmat charge on epoxies as it is shipped ORM-D. The Glen L products are easy to use, proven to be good, and blend into the wood better for bright work.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

BarnacleMike

Post by BarnacleMike » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:24 am

Wade, ordering the epoxy from Glen-L is no problem (no HAZMAT fee). I've gotten epoxy from them a couple of times & it was extremely easy.
"How long does it take to build a boat? Until it's finished" — yours truly
Why did the boatbuilder get a divorce? Because he didn't have enough clamps to hold his marriage together!

Return to “Power Boats”