batteries in the bilge area

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

TOM K

batteries in the bilge area

Post by TOM K » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:36 am

was planing on putting my batteries below my deck in the bilge area. all the boat I have had in the past they sat on the deck at the transom. they will be just forward of the engine and the compartment will be ventilated. JUST DONT WANT YO BLOW MYSELF UP :)

bob smith

Re: batteries in the bilge area

Post by bob smith » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:28 am

Tom
Check out the post "Not if but when"
Bob Smith
Chester, SC

TOM K

Post by TOM K » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:35 am

Yes I already did. If I put a bulkhead in it might cut down on air circulation :?: , would one of those plastic battery boxes contain a explosion ?

mud

Post by mud » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:20 pm

fit solid state batteries, plenty of choices available, they will also handle the pounding of a boat better than normal batteries , and fit them as low down and to the rear of the boat as possible , ----Mud ,- South Oz

mk e

Post by mk e » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:38 pm

Hydrogen (from the battery or anything else) is much much lighter than air so it shouldn't collect in the bilge like fuel vapors will so I don't thing I'd be too concerned about the mounting location???

graham mackay

Post by graham mackay » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:00 am

Hi Mud
Could you expand on the concept of solid-state batteries please? I'm thinking of general size, cost, safety, availability etc. versue conventional lead-acid.
Thanks,
Graham
I am presently constructing a Glen-L HERCULES, hull basically complete.Am going to fiberglass and paint bottom and then turn over. Sides to be planked with10mm yellow cedar edged bead and cove . Engine is Mitsubihi 4-cyl. 39 crankshaft hp.

Return to “Power Boats”