Bandsaw for cutting frames

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

obd

Bandsaw for cutting frames

Post by obd » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:06 pm

I will soon be cutting frames for my Malahini. Is a bench top bandsaw adequate for the task? My budget would allow purchase of a bench top but I would have to rent or borrow a full size saw.
Last edited by obd on Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave Cribbin

Re: Bandsaw for cutting frames

Post by Dave Cribbin » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:06 pm

If I could have only one power tool , I would pick a bandsaw. I layed out my frames on 1/2 inch mdf and got them nice and smooth first. The I traced them onto the Mahogany and rough cut them on the bandsaw. I used double side tape to stick them to the mdf and trimmed them with a pattern bit on the router.

jeffmo63

Post by jeffmo63 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:53 pm

I agree with Dave. I use my bandsaw more and more each day. My two cents; I would save up and buy at least a medium duty floor model as a bench top model will have great difficulty resawing wood of any appreciable thickness. Also, the bench tops are light on accesories. I got a 14" Porter Cable for just over $350 at Lowes that I can not find fault with. I think my old bench top (Harbor Freight) ended up in the trash. We hear it over and over from the experienced builders to buy the best tools we can afford. Best of luck in whatever you decide.
Jeff

slug

Post by slug » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:18 am

No question about it. A floor model bandsaw will be one tool you will never regret buying, especially for building the Malahini.
I always justify ( well to myself mostly :lol: ) buying a good tool by claiming it is similar to renting only cheaper.....when you're finished with it you can sell it and get at least 50% of your money back! In reality with the best tools I've found the return much better.
So, the guys are right...save for the floor model, and buy good blades.

Doug

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:28 am

I took another route to get finished frames.... I cut plywood templates with a good saber saw, staying about 1/16" outside of the line. I then sanded the template down to the line using a Rigid (Home Depot) sanding station. They are about $200. Then I traced the template onto the Mahogany and cut them about the same amount outside the line with the saber saw. Then attaced the template to the Mahogany and ran it on the router to get the finished piece. I did my entire build without a bandsaw, but really wish I had one. From what I have read, a 14" good floor model is the minimum if you go that way.... Have fun....Neel

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:51 am

I did my Zip like Neel, without a bandsaw. But I think a good 14" bandsaw with resaw capability would be really nice to have.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

leakcheck

Post by leakcheck » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:14 am

First choice: Good band saw (At least 14")

Second Choice: Good quality sabre saw/jig saw (Bosch maybe?)

If you are on a tight budget, but if you can squeeze out a jig saw and the ridgid sanding station that would be the way to go. I find myself using the sanding station all the time. Of course I have a 20" Grizzly bandsaw and a Bosch Jigsaw..but I could live without the bandsaw if I had to, I just wouldn't want to!

I do have a couple of routers as well, and I have the pattern bits and all of the guides I just have not given myself time to practice with them. I have a shaper as well, and that, along with a pattern bit, would give great results. I guess it is the set up time, I can run to that stupid ridgid sander and get it done pretty quickly!

Make sure you post pics! :P

Steve

Moeregaard

Post by Moeregaard » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:23 am

I'm with the others regarding a 14" band saw. You'll never run out of uses for one. We used a Ridgid for our Zip build, but the brand is less important than setting one up properly with good guides and a high-quality blade. If you buy used, plan on replacing the tires. We found that the silicone-rubber tires work very well in all applications with the exception of re-sawing, where the wider blades would tend to slip. They're nice because they are easy to install without requiring glue, they'll never rot, and they don't take a set when you forget to de-tension the blade when you've finished working :shock:

-Mark Shipley
A boat is just a wooden box with no right angles.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:25 am

I used a Bosch jig saw on all of by boats so far. I could have paid for a bandsaw with savings from doing veneer with a table saw. I made a lot of expensive saw dust.

With a wife, four cars and a 24' boat project, there is not really enough room for another big tool.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

obd

Post by obd » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:48 am

Thanks guys! I can already see how valuable the forum will be. There is a used Rigid floor model available locally I might be able to get my hands on. The plywood template approach sounds very intriguing though. You guys have done some beautiful work by the way. This is my first build and I am definitely an amateur. Historically, magazine rack, entertainment center, porch furniture kind of projects. I am certain this project will require a much higher degree of precision and will be my first experience with fiberglass. Lots to learn. I will try not to bombard you guys with too many questions. Thanks again!

leakcheck

Post by leakcheck » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:31 pm

Bill Edmundson wrote:I used a Bosch jig saw on all of by boats so far. I could have paid for a bandsaw with savings from doing veneer with a table saw. I made a lot of expensive saw dust.

With a wife, four cars and a 24' boat project, there is not really enough room for another big tool.

Bill
Bill,

You might have a hard time getting rid of the cars or the boat but I am willing to bet there are plenty of guys out there willing to take that wife off your hands!!! :roll: :wink: :lol:

SS

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:23 pm

Steve

The cars and boats are the easy part :!: Gooooood Luck to anyone who wants to take on the rest :!:

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Lowka53

Post by Lowka53 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:25 pm

:lol: yep single guys my age are not in a hurry to get hitched again :lol: :wink:
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

RLASON52

Post by RLASON52 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:25 pm

If your woodworking will be limited to building a boat, get a good 14" bandsaw with a selection on blades.

If you've got other wood projects planned, buy a high quality jigsaw, a medium duty router kit and the best table (cabinet) saw you can afford with at least a 24" extension.

My humble opinion, Rick

Lowka53

Post by Lowka53 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:39 pm

:lol: my self I have about all that is listed in building with ply wood best tools list and then sum but I was a professional wood worker before i retired :wink:
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

Return to “Power Boats”