Malahini planking

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

jschurz

Malahini planking

Post by jschurz » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:24 pm

I bought a bunch of 3/8" Meranti plywood for my Malahini thinking that I had read somewhere that you could use either 1/4" or 3/8" for the side planking. I've been looking for where I had read it, but can't find it. So my question is: Do I have to exchange it (I had to drive quite a ways to get it) for 1/4" or can I use it? I know I can use it for the bottom planking, but what about the sides? The part I'm worried about is bending the 3/8" around the transom without it breaking.

rbrandenstein

Re: Malahini planking

Post by rbrandenstein » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:58 pm

I do think you would have trouble at the transom. Even the 1/4" takes a bit of effort and my plywood split on one side. I do think there was a flaw in the plywood at the crack. However, I can't imagine trying to bend 3/8".

Iggy

Post by Iggy » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:44 am

I wouldn't use 3/8" for the sides on my Malahini for both weight and bending reasons... 1/4" is more than enough.

I'd trade it, or use the 3/8" for the sub-deck later.
Ian (aka Iggy)
My Malahini Build

ttownshaw

Post by ttownshaw » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:35 am

FYI, I think it said in the BOM instructions that shipped with the plans that you could use 1/4" or 3/8" for the bottom planking (not the side planking)...I could be wrong but that's what I remember.
Bill

I told my wife we needed a three-car garage for my projects...she told me to ask her for permission next time before I buy a house.
http://www.unitybuild.net

Iggy

Post by Iggy » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:30 am

Yes, the Malahini BOM did say you can use either 1/4" (spec) or 3/8" (optional) plywood for the hull bottoms. 1/4" was for the sides, and its a strong curve at the transom that I wouldn't want to attempt with a 3/8" sheet of marine grade. I had a hell of a time with 3/8" on the bottom hull at the stem to bend.
Ian (aka Iggy)
My Malahini Build

ttownshaw

Post by ttownshaw » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:37 am

Iggy is right on...the curve at the transom was difficult (just be patient), but (using 3/8") where the bottom skin attaches to the stem and chine was a real bear. I used my 200 lb + dad as a paper weight, a winch strap, lots of clamps, and screws with fender washers
Bill

I told my wife we needed a three-car garage for my projects...she told me to ask her for permission next time before I buy a house.
http://www.unitybuild.net

jschurz

Post by jschurz » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:16 pm

Thanks guys, I appreciate the quick responses on here! I'll exchange it for the 1/4" and pray to Neptune that it doesn't crack :D

Return to “Power Boats”