Monaco Caper

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

fredt

Re: Monaco Caper

Post by fredt »

Thanks Paul for the information and help.

Fred

fredt

Post by fredt »

Another question:

In the muffler system, I am using the Vernatone muffler by Centek. They mention a "surge chamber". Is this absolutely necessary, even with the use of a flapper in the exhaust port?

Fred

fredt

Post by fredt »

About 7 years ago , began my Monaco. Off and on for this amount of time, was able to make small amounts of progress. Used this forum to learn, look and listen . Actually didn't realize just how long the build had been until I was putting together receipts for the Division of Motor Vehicles to get tagged. Like everyone, life has a tendency of making you allocate and prioritizing ones time. Somewhere along the build, being perfect on everything didn't matter as much as being able to enjoy it in my lifetime. Sort of took the pressure off of showing the forum any photos that may or may not be up to everyone's standards :) :) Anyway, other than a boot stripe, it is completed, licenced, tagged , inspected, insured and moved to a lake near our summer place in NC.

Thank you to involved with this great forum.

Fred
Attachments
IMG_0775.JPG
IMG_0767.JPG
IMG_0756.JPG

BarnacleMike

Post by BarnacleMike »

Look at that beautiful Monaco!!!

Hey, I wouldn't worry about "...up to everyone's standards." I used to feel the same way. But, what I found is that the people I've met here on the forum & at the Gatherings... people who have stunning, amazing craftsmanship... have been as supportive of me and my humble little Utility as any other. They're one and all truly wonderful people. Besides, you could build it out of tape and cardboard and still have better looking seams than me lol.

Well, if she's just over in North Carolina, any chance she'll make it to G12 in September?
"How long does it take to build a boat? Until it's finished" — yours truly
Why did the boatbuilder get a divorce? Because he didn't have enough clamps to hold his marriage together!

Milhouse

Post by Milhouse »

Fred, your boat looks amazing! Great job on finishing her, that is a huge milestone and i am sure you are extremely proud and must me turning a lot of heads.

We all are our harshest critic, my woodworking teachers always say "stop pointing where you screwed up no one notices the mistakes anyway" :)

I'd love to see some more pics of the details for inspiration and ideas.

I read that you used a velvet drive, I have one in my ski boat project, how do you like it?

Is it mounted on the front of the engine (timing cover side)? love to see pics!
Jim
16' Ski Boat Restoration
17' Overnighter Sloop

I'd rather have a $h!tty meal than an $h!tty resume because a totally awesome resume will feed me steak one day - Steve Poltz

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Beautiful boat Fred. Great accomplishment getting her done. I know how you feel about getting the boat done in your lifetime. I am on 6 years myself. As for standards, we all try and do good work and nobody's perfect (but some builders come close in regards to craftsmanship). One thing that really helped me with that was visiting a boat show and seeing how other builders dealt with the various areas that I had difficulty with.

Mike is also correct. The people on this forum are very helpful and one of the best parts of it is the almost total lack of criticism and berating that you see on other forums.

Please update us on the launch.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

jenko

Post by jenko »

Well done Fred looks great :D

fredt

Post by fredt »

Thank you for your kind responses. There are so many stories, some funny, some not.

About the 2018 gathering Michael, I looked at the location and it is only about 4 hours from me. Problem is I have a coinciding Army reunion in Buffalo at the same time. Would really like to bring it over though if the reunion plans go awash.

Carl, I had a 1 hour preliminary "in water" test in Florida in Inverness. Had a overheating problem, and I thought an oil pressure problem during the shake down . I had attempted to use old headers, after having "tanked" some original Barr headers, and also found my fresh water cooling system needing some rethinking. So purchased new headers, a better thermostat bypass system, and re-plumbed everything. Had time for a "on trailer" test using my fresh water intake hose, and ran it hard for about an hour, now temperature doing what is supposed to be doing, so solved that problem. Oil pressure alarm was more my nervousness that an actual problem. The boat then went off to the upholsterers for a month. I picked it up there and brought it right up to a lake near our home in NC about 1 week ago . Real maiden cruise and launch date will be just after memorial day.

Jim, the velvet drive I used was off an older boat. Actually, it was attached to a 283 Flagship flywheel forward engine I traded for a F150 truck I had in disrepair. That was actually around 2011. Found the engine to be useless, so went to a 350 small block chevy instead. My Monaco project started out rebuilding the Velvet drive (71c/72c model?) Never done that before! Since I had some workable parts from the Flagship engine, I reused them so my 350 is also a flywheel forward design, with the Velvet drive on the aft end (timing gear) end of the engine. During the first in water test did fine. Will know more in a couple of weeks. Think a future project will be to add a temp gauge to the Velvet drive oil case, just cause.

Again thanks for you comments. Will let everyone know after the launch how it goes.
Attachments
082.JPG
081 (2018_03_13 12_28_06 UTC).JPG
049 (2018_03_13 12_28_06 UTC).JPG

chugalug

Post by chugalug »

:DWow!! Nice looking motor.Just a question for you.Is that a marine alternator? or automotive?I thought for a boat,that it would be all closed up,not have lots of holes-to avoid sparks in engine compartment. :roll:
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

fredt

Post by fredt »

Thank you . Engine is completely converted to marine. Think , but not 100% sure, the alternator is a Sierra. I tried to be pretty thorough as was concerned about the gas engine. After being built, had Flagship Marine in Punta Gorda inspect and test the engine.

billy c

Post by billy c »

Fred-
Glad to see your boat completed! Getting on the water with your project must feel so good! You really did a nice job on building your boat and am sure any of us can tell you where each and every blemish is on our projects boat or otherwise.
The Monaco will turn heads for certain at the docks and they will fall over when you tell them you built it!
Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

garrech

Post by garrech »

Looks great, congrats!

sscobra

Post by sscobra »

From one Monaco builder to another...great job! Skip
Built the Glen-L Monaco, 2016.

fredt

Post by fredt »

Thank you all. You also have beautiful boats and great advice . Anxious to get her out and broken in. Hope the turning of the heads is due to how she looks in the water, and not how I ran into the dock :)

Will let you know how launch goes.

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

What an awesome boat! Great job!
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Return to “Power Boats”