?'s about the Big Hunk

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

RobB

?'s about the Big Hunk

Postby RobB » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:57 pm

This is my first build, and although it is not a small project, it is the only only boat I have found that fits my needs and budget. If any one has built this boat please let me pick your brain. My goals are to put it in the Keys and own my own small commercial lobster fishing business. Is it stable enough to put a very small covered steering console in the forward 6' of the boat? Want to keep my instrumentation dry. Also need to put at least a 1000 lb. lobster tank and a work table mid ship, that should offset the small forward cabin. Any ideas, comments, recomendations are very welcome. I do plan on adding the 3' in length it says is possible. Also, marine Douglas Fir is all I can get locally, anything else will add almost a year to my 2 year build projection, any thoughts on DF or suggestions to seal it better is also acceptable. Also any thoughts on the best way to anchor my pot puller. As a newbie I expect some laughs, but I will truely appreciate all help I recieve.
If you don't start heading that way today, tommorrow you won't be any closer to your destination.

RobB

Wow 60 readers, no advice.

Postby RobB » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:49 pm

Ok I know this is not a plan people are fighting to build so help from people who have built similar style boats is welcome. I just ordered my building boats with plywood, trailer, fiberglass combo from Glen-L. Can't wait to get them. I don't want to order the plans till I'm reasonably sure I can use this design for my purposes. Lots of other questions, but guess I'll wait for a reply on my first post.
If you don't start heading that way today, tommorrow you won't be any closer to your destination.

wdicken

Building the big hunk

Postby wdicken » Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:16 pm

Actually, it may be my next boat. But I'm starting smaller with the sissy-do (good boat, terrible name) and then we plan on doing on of the hunks with cabin. As I move along, I'll post project info.

Thanks

RobB

Postby RobB » Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:03 pm

Great, we can help each other with our projects. Lol, if I start now, and you start on the sissy-do, we should be finishing the hull of our Hunks at about the same time. I intend on taking my time, this boat will be taking me and one other person 6-15 miles off shore, Ahhhgghhh, I want it NOW! What are your purposes for the Big Hunk?

folesriver

Hunk of ?

Postby folesriver » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:03 pm

Greetings from a first time poster. I have just recently picked up a big hunk to restore. Started out as a urchin fishing boat then went through bankrupcy, lack of care, and is now stripped down to the bare hull. The hull was assembled in 1999 and due to fresh water and bugs has a good bit of rot. The chine logs and everything that was actually submerged appears good. Everything that was wet with but with air available is punky. It appears that douglass fir was used for battens. Oak for chine logs and sheer clamps and local lumber for frames and floors. From what I can see a simple application of epoxy to the end grains on frames and floors would have made all the difference. I'm planning on using this as a river cruiser and like the low draft. The motor well will allow the motor to kick up for shallows and beaching. One big boat! :shock:

RobB

Postby RobB » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:30 pm

So how was the interior set up any speacial gear or placements of fish tanks. Did they extend the boat or stay stock. can you post a pic. I didnt notice where are you from. Im in Memphis.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:32 pm

At 26'-6'x9'-6" the Big Hunk is a good size boat. It is a very buildable boat. You can do it. :) It's one I'd like to do. But, I just don't need it.

Stay arround. We may not know the boat. But, these folks can help with building one.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

leakcheck

Postby leakcheck » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:53 pm

Rob,

Are your lobster "pots" the same as the maine Lobster "traps" and do you pull them in the same fashion?

Steve

RobB

Postby RobB » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:04 pm

Thanks Bill, I plan to. I know its a process, right now my 16 yr old daughter and me are cleaning out one half of my garage, then were setting up our work stations for the table saw and planner. After that we start ordering materials and you'll see ?s flow like a river. :lol: :lol: On another post someone said the motor wells let water come in the boat in rough water, any one else have this problem?

RobB

Postby RobB » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:37 pm

Yes they are the same type, not the same size. Pull them the same way though. In the keys they dont bring them in unless they have a real bad blow coming.

RobB

Postby RobB » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:41 pm

Lobster in the Keys are not the same as Maine lobster, no claws. They are called spiney lobster.

folesriver

Postby folesriver » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:53 am

Greetings from the New hampshire border. ( Too embar-assed to say Mass.) I do my boating on the Merrimack river which has a nasty outlet to the sea.

This Hunk is 28' even after cutting out rot and looked like a chesapeake shrimper with forward standing cabin with roof. a pressure treated 4X4 holding up the roof was bolted to a frame about 8' back from the bow. They attached a hauler to this. It doesn't appear that permanent tanks were part of the set-up.

The original builder knew what he was doing but the fishermen started screwing into everything without sealing the holes. That is where almost all the rot occured.

I have my concerns about this hull. I wouldn't mind knowing what to expect in a chop ( if it is going to pound) and if the motorwell is going to be a problem. I've read some of the posts regarding the well mount and it seems to have pros and cons. at this point I can do whatever I want with this hull.

This boat is so stripped down my wife calls it "the big bowl"

wdicken

? on Hunk

Postby wdicken » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:24 am

A local boat dealer had a Hunk come in and I asked for a test run. I backed it into the surf to see what the well did. There was some splash but the rubber collar around the motor stifled most of it. The slope seemed to squelch the rest. So I would have rated it as good or better than the flat transom. It did need two bilge pumps since the water pooled on opposite sides of the well.

It was wonderful on the shrimp nets. I have a 25ft C-Hawk that I use for deep sea fishing and the hunk was so much easier to get the nets out and in. So my wife and I decided to build the hunk (after the Sissy-do) so I can have a boat that we can use in the bay / lagoon and one that we can take out deep.

Not a whole lot of pounding, but I don't tend to go flying around in the bay. Waves were 2-4 and it was pretty stable, although it rolled a bit more than I would have liked, but righted itself quickly.

Sorry for the long post.

folesriver

Postby folesriver » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:21 am

Thanks for the info. So basically the trick is to design the area around the motor well so that any splash can't make it into the bilge. 2-4 foot seas are probably more than I'll get into unless I make a special trip out the mouth. Do you remember what that boat had for power and if it felt sufficient. :?: Appreciate it!

RobB

Postby RobB » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:33 pm

Folesriver, it sounds like yours is set up very much like I plan on setting mine up. If you have any pics send them to robborger1@hotmail.com would love to see the layout. In the gulf and around the Keys I guess this style is very popular because it is a pretty stable platform. I got my books today I am so excited, I can't wait to sit down tonight with them. Well were leaving for our trip so I wont be on till Friday look forward to reading all your posts then. Thanks guys now I dont feel like the Lone Ranger any more.

Return to “Power Boats”